• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The people's tank

The people's tank

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure it would be awesome to drive around in a Tiger II
but does adding this monster add anything to the game?
I dont think so!

The Tiger I in game is more than heavy to crack if used right
Last week Noah and me survived some 32 direct hits while
taking out 10 or 12 enemy tanks before being blown up by Ari.

The Tiger II would be too overpowered (if modeled correctly)
and adding only one or two on every other map would not help
anybody, because most of the people would never get the
chance of using it, leading to stupid BF-series like TKs to get the
tank. Additionaly it would unbalance the maps to much
depending on the crew.

A good crew which knows what to do would wipe out the russians
with ease - a newbie with no expirence would just waste the cat
and the gerrys are left with nothing to counter the overwelming
russian forces then.

Given the production figures of fourhundredandsomething a Tiger II
is a rare occurence on the battlefield, go for more common stuff first!

Please think of balancing not in the way of making some weapons
more or less powerfull then they where in reality, but think of
balancing more in a fashion of which equipment you issue to the
two sides!

I

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As I've said before in similar polls, the King Tiger and other heavy or late-war tanks and assault guns don't really add much to the game. Adding them also presents a number of problems as far as maps and balance. If we stick them in on existing maps, they can screw up the balance of the map and make gameplay less fun. Desinging new maps is fine and all, but I just don't see them being that much different from your current style of tank combat.

Early war tank combat, however, is different because the designs of tanks were so different. As I understand it, design philosophy began shifting for pretty much everyone after about 1940/1941. It didn't all change overnight, obviously, but there were definite changes.

In light of that, and to expand the TYPE of gameplay and tactics involved, I'd MUCH rather see the additions of tanks like:

- Pz II
- Pz 38(t)
- Marder series
- T-26
- BT-7

or even other early war tanks that were holdover designs from the 30s (IE: similar to the Matilda I -- slow moving infantry tanks). This would require people to really change gears in terms of tactics.

For the most part, the King Tiger would be played the exact same way as every other tank is these days. Either it'd stand off and snipe at people, or it'd drive in close (and probably get blown up).

As a side note, from my experience in other games, uberweapons are generally a BAD thing in maps, because the team relies on them too much. Consider Black Day in July where the Germans have one Tiger, and a whole mess of Pz IIIs and IVs. By contrast, the Russians have a TON of T-34s, and one generally negligible KV-1S. If the Russians lose the KV-1S, so what? It's not that useful anyway. If the Germans lose their Tiger, they're at a fairly serious disadvantage because the visual range doesn't let them take advantage of their optics and gun strengths.

Now try to imagine balancing a map with a King Tiger and a slew of inferior tanks against a team of Russian T34/85s, and one of the heavier SU series or an IS-2. If the Russians lose the heavy tanks, no big deal, right? But if the Germans lose their Tiger II, they're in trouble because their Pz IVHs are still fighting an uphill battle against the T34s.

Why exacerbate this or go through the process, especially when there's the opportunity to play a whole new style of tanking?

Upvote 0
As a side note, from my experience in other games, uberweapons are generally a BAD thing in maps, because the team relies on them too much. Consider Black Day in July where the Germans have one Tiger, and a whole mess of Pz IIIs and IVs. By contrast, the Russians have a TON of T-34s, and one generally negligible KV-1S.

When was the last time you played BDJ???

Upvote 0
I played BDJ a couple of nights ago on the pre-final version. the Germans got their butts kicked when they lost their Tiger and couldn't get their act together to get into any of the other cap zones. The Pz IV F2s and Pz IIIs weren't able to dislodge the enemy T34s, but the T34s could easily penetrate the german tanks.

Now, granted, some of this had to do with a particularly disorganized german team, but when you're dealing with lowest-common-denominators, the T34's a better tank, at least on that map. It's gun is good enough to do the job against the German medium tanks and assault guns, its armor is easy to angle and protects you pretty well, and the gunsight isn't so complicated as to make it hard to learn how to lob shells properly.

The German tanks have much better gunsights and generally better guns, but their armor hold up as well and, given the visual range, they can't take advantage of their guns and optical advantages. On that map, I'd rather play Russian if both teams are kinda clueless.

That said, a good Tiger tank can completely change the outcome of the battle. That's what I worry about with adding the Tiger II, except on a MUCH more extreme scale because, by that point in the war, Allied medium tank capabilities have caught up with the Pz IV design and have surpassed the Pz III.

Upvote 0
For sure it would be awesome to drive around in a Tiger II
but does adding this monster add anything to the game?
I dont think so!

The Tiger I in game is more than heavy to crack if used right
Last week Noah and me survived some 32 direct hits while
taking out 10 or 12 enemy tanks before being blown up by Ari.

The Tiger II would be too overpowered (if modeled correctly)
and adding only one or two on every other map would not help
anybody, because most of the people would never get the
chance of using it, leading to stupid BF-series like TKs to get the
tank. Additionaly it would unbalance the maps to much
depending on the crew.

A good crew which knows what to do would wipe out the russians
with ease - a newbie with no expirence would just waste the cat
and the gerrys are left with nothing to counter the overwelming
russian forces then.

Given the production figures of fourhundredandsomething a Tiger II
is a rare occurence on the battlefield, go for more common stuff first!

Please think of balancing not in the way of making some weapons
more or less powerfull then they where in reality, but think of
balancing more in a fashion of which equipment you issue to the
two sides!

I

Upvote 0
well its the same for me when i fight a Js2 in a panzer 4 i have to out flank it or die :p i cant afford to get hit from 1 shell from a Js2 or i am gone:) even in a panther you have to watch it

The IS2 does not count! As the tank works not correctly in game anyway! You should have no problem, to penetrate the tank on maps like ogledow or arad from ANY direction below distances from 600m with the tanks you can use there. Just angle the IS2 and shoot any german tank that cross your way and fear only about tanks that flank you. The IS2 is at the moment like russian version of the Tiger II o_O

The Js2 is so frigin powerfull it can shoot a turet right of a tank :eek: http://www.mark-1-tank.co.uk/joseph-stalin-2.html

well ... maybe not directly that powerfull that the turret will fly away, but a hit to a panther, will sure leave a nice hole (have plenty pictures!). Most tanks with lost turrets have been hit in there fuil or ammo storage.

Upvote 0
Production TOTALS, yes.
Production schedules, no.
In other words, how many of a particular tank were produced each month.

PzKpfw VI Ausf B (SdKfz 182) Tiger II production:

--------------1943----------1944----------1945
Jan------------0--------------3---------------40
Feb------------0--------------5---------------42
Mar-----------0---------------6---------------26
Apr------------0--------------6----------------0
May-----------0--------------15--------------0
Jun------------0--------------32--------------0
Jul-------------0--------------45--------------0
Aug------------0-------------84--------------0
Sep-----------0--------------49--------------0
Oct------------1--------------29--------------0