• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The people's tank

The people's tank

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Panzer II was only used from '41 to '42. A year is pretty large, most of the maps in RO are in '44-'45.

Panzer II was used for the rest of the war after 1942 as a reconnaissance and infantry support tank.

Majority was removed from frontline service in 1942 but remained as an active part of Panzertruppen until 1943. Some Panzerkampfwagen II tanks were still in service during the Normandy Battles of 1944 and even in 1945 (145 as of March of 1945).

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz1.htm#panzer2

It was even manufactured until January of 1944. Albeit to a limited extent.

Upvote 0
Personally, I would like to see the Panzer 38(t), a neat little Czech tank used in significant numbers by the Germans early on in the war, and later served as the basis for several types of Marder tank hunters and the venerable Jagdpanzer Hetzer

Both Czech Tanks, the Panzer 35 and 38 were light tanks that in reality, went nowhere.

When Germany invaded France, three full German Panzer divisions were equipped with Czech tanks. One division was equipped with the Czech type 35 light tank (10 tons) which was renamed Panzer 35, and two divisions were equipped with the type 38 light tank (10 tons) which was renamed Panzer 38.

Significant Numbers?? Only 1400 Panzer 38 tanks were produced for the German army in 1939-1942. When it was declared obsolete, (late 1942), it was converted to a recon vehicle.

Red Orchestra is all about the Eastern Front.

The Panzer 38 variants used its excellent chassis, including the Hetzer, an excellent tank destroyer with a 75mm gun. The variations remained in service for the Swiss Army until the late 1960's.

Upvote 0
We need early war tanks that were really used:

>Pzkpfw III J
>Marder I/II/III (whatever, just one of them)
>T-26
>BT-5/7

And I would love to see a SU-85 or SU-100 for later war maps. A Hetzer would be great, too.

Tiger II would just be too much and will be very hard to balance (it dies through artillery or bad luck -> Germans will lose, it doesn't die easily -> Russians will lose)

Upvote 0
These important T-34 variants would be nice to have in game:

t3476m42ao2jv3.gif

t3476m43ln4tw8.gif

Seems like all it would take is mainly just to model these new turrets onto the chassis of the existing T-34 model.

Upvote 0
The Tiger II was produced from 1943 (very few in 1943 50? perhaps? )-1945.
Our good friend wikipedia says 3 where made in 43.

Edit: Seeing as welt beat me to it i will post some more information about the tiger II. 485 where produced during the war, full production started in mid 1944.
Does anybody know how many where sent to the western front, im Pretty sure they saw a fair bit of action on the bulge. How many saw action on the eastern front? Enough to make putting one in game worthwhile? I know of a case when 3 where taken out by a single t34/85

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Tiger II was produced from 1943 (very few in 1943 50? perhaps? )-1945.

okay then I was thinking of the first Tiger II's with the early turret design.

achtungpanzer said:
Production:
December 1943: 12

Do not use wikipedia as a source.

Although Sichartshofen is right the Tiger II did not see action until May 1944 (near Minsk) many Tiger II's were issued as early as Feb 1944.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A-tree said:
Why not exactly? It seems just as reliable as actung panzer. Im guessing that figue of 12 is including the 9 prototypes that was mentioned on wiki.

Just that it has a tendency to leave out details as well as some areas seem to read like revised opinions
but Im not here to discuss wiki.

A-tree said:
Does anybody know how many where sent to the western front, im Pretty sure they saw a fair bit of action on the bulge.
Not many I will look for the actual number of Tiger II were present but I remember it being pretty slim.
A-tree said:
How many saw action on the eastern front? Enough to make putting one in game worthwhile? I know of a case when 3 where taken out by a single t34/85
Yes, most Tiger II saw action in the Eastern front it was in the West where the Tiger II was scarce. That quote you speak of can be found in Battlefield .ru. It is a prime example of the importance of flanking and tactics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hetzer ftw!!
Tough little, hard hitting, bugger that grows into a real tank if yuo keep it well enough fed whit js2s and t34s. 1st class modeling of "fear of death" for jerry tankers as they dont wanna see die cos
a. theirs girlfriend thinks its cute!
b. they wanna hit the jagdpanther!

Damn am i as smart as i'm good looking!:eek:

Upvote 0
Both Czech Tanks, the Panzer 35 and 38 were light tanks that in reality, went nowhere.

When Germany invaded France, three full German Panzer divisions were equipped with Czech tanks. One division was equipped with the Czech type 35 light tank (10 tons) which was renamed Panzer 35, and two divisions were equipped with the type 38 light tank (10 tons) which was renamed Panzer 38.

Significant Numbers?? Only 1400 Panzer 38 tanks were produced for the German army in 1939-1942. When it was declared obsolete, (late 1942), it was converted to a recon vehicle.

Red Orchestra is all about the Eastern Front.

The Panzer 38 variants used its excellent chassis, including the Hetzer, an excellent tank destroyer with a 75mm gun. The variations remained in service for the Swiss Army until the late 1960's.

Not to be rude, but I think you are being a bit selective with you details there.

Correct, the Panzer 38 did participate in the invasion of France. But you did leave out the fact that (according to Actung Panzer!) was in the invasion of Poland, The Norweigen campaign and took part in Operation Barbarossa, and some examples saw service in Italy in 43 and in Normandy in 44. Since RO is all aobut the Eastern front.......

Panzer 38's equipped a panzer division in Poland, and a total of 6 divisions in Barbarossa. WWII vehicles informs me that the 754 Panzer 38's available in 1941 made up one quarter of the total tank force for Barbarossa. I would say that's pretty important.

In tank terms, I ould call 1400 a good number, considering that (from memory) there were under 500 Tiger II's made, a tank a lot of people are calling for. Besides, that 1400 covered Ausf. A B/C/D, E/F, S and G. That's 8 models, so the Germans saw something in the original design.

So, as a combat vehicle, it was outclassed as were most light tanks of the period. But as an example of an early war German tank, I think it's just as important as the early model Panzer II's, III', and IV's.

I won't go into the Panzer 35, as I didn't mention that one and I can't find anything hard on stuff like production details with the limited time I have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I won't go into the Panzer 35, as I didn't mention that one and I can't find anything hard on stuff like production details with the limited time I have.

According to: http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pzcz1.htm

Overall 424 were produced between 1935 and 1939 by Skoda (approx. 340) and CKD (approx. 84).PzKpfw 35(t) formed the bulk of the 1st Leichte (Light) Division during the Polish Campaign and then of 6th Panzer Division (former 1st Leichte Division) during the French Campaign and the Invasion of Russia.

Upvote 0
Does anybody know how many where sent to the western front, im Pretty sure they saw a fair bit of action on the bulge. How many saw action on the eastern front? Enough to make putting one in game worthwhile? I know of a case when 3 where taken out by a single t34/85

Two battalions equipped with the Tiger II fought in the Ardennes, but their performance was disappointing, to say the least. More were lost to breakdowns and enemy fire than they destroyed themselves, partly because the Allies did not commit large numbers of tanks to counter the offensive (25 Tiger IIs lost vs. no more than 20 enemy tanks destroyed). In addition, because of the rough terrain, mechanical reliabilty problems and their slow speed Peiper kept them at the back of his task force.

All of that comes from Christopher Wilbeck's excellent book titled Sledgehammers, which analyzes the Tiger's performance throughout its combat career. It's a very well-researched and informative book.

Upvote 0
In addition, because of the rough terrain, mechanical reliabilty problems and their slow speed Peiper kept them at the back of his task force.
It fails to mention the Tiger II's gun was very accuarate/powerful and could hit targets at very long range distances as a reason for allowing this very expensive and valuable machine to stay behind the smaller tanks and provide some covering fire from behind.

"SLOW"?! Thats a misconception the Tiger II went about the same speed of the Tiger I and like the Tiger I had excellant mobility as is stated by many tests and by accounts from Tiger II drivers (American /German). The Tiger II's as well as the Tiger I had speeds compareable to the PzIV (only 2 kms slower than it).

Tiger II speed:

Road: 35-38km/h
Cross-Country: 17km/h

Tiger I speed:

Road 38km/h
Cross-Country 10-20km/h

Reliablity:
Fprado said:
The problem of keeping a Tiger II in running condition was compounded by a shortage of skilled drivers many of whom may have never experienced driving any vehicle prior to entering the service. In addition they were provided only limited driver's training, and then usually on a different type of panzer, and received their own Tiger II usually within a few days before being shipped to the front. But, with mature drivers, taking required maintenance halts, and modification of key automotive components, the Tiger II could be maintained in a satisfactory operational condition. Status reports from the Western Front, dated March 1945, showed that the percentage of Tigers operational at the Front was about equal to the PzKpfw IV and as good as or better than the Panther.

Achtung Panzer said:
The Tiger II saw combat on both Western and Eastern Fronts, where it proved to be a superb weapon and worthy opponent when operated by an experienced crew and properly maintained

Some "fun" quotes about the Tiger II:

One day a Tiger Royal tank got within 150 yards of my tank and knocked me out. Five of our tanks opened up on him from ranges of 200 to 600 yards and got five or six hits on the front of the Tiger. They all just glanced off and the Tiger backed off and got away. If we had a tank like Tiger, we would all be home today." - Report by tank commander Sergeant Clyde D. Brunson from 2nd Armored Division, 1945.

schwere SS Panzer Abteilung (103) 503 / III SS Panzer Corps said:
"On the road from Bollersdorf to Strausberg stood a further 11 Stalin tanks, and away on the egde of the village itself were around 120-150 enemy tanks in the process of being refuelled and re-armed. I opened fire and destroyed first and last of the 11 Stalin tanks on the road....My own personal score of enemy tanks destroyed in this action was 39."

German comparison of German tanks with the new (at the time) Russian T-34/85 and JS-II (122mm), from March 23rd of 1944, stated that: "The Tiger 2 is far superior to the T34-85 and the JS 122."
:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.