• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "New" MP40, a suggestion by The_Emperor

War not balanced so why should game be??? I thought you fans wanted a super realistic WW2 game? Hyprocrites??

I don't like the unrealistic amounts of recoil on the SMG's if you choose to use a Bolt action rifle then stick to your range or pull out a pistol.

Mp-40 is only a 9mm bullet but in RO it kicks like a 30-6 WTF!

please TW lower the amount of recoil on some of the SMG's.

People that want balance in a realistic game don't know what they're talking about IE Hyprocrites.

I think balance is important but, it should be balance in team a vs team b.
Aka both axis and allied sides have the same chance of winning in a player vs player competition.

But for me this doesnt have to mean that the map is mirrored or all weapons are equal or playeramounts. Even though its hard.

One team could have more players, or a map thats balanced slightly to one team etc. So there will always be a factor of unbalance but the differences in maps and stuff make everything interesting.

Upvote 0

Nice MP-40 Wish I had one. :D

Yeah I would think that Tripwire would make individual melee animations for each weapon. Lets go for immersion hear and good smooth animation transitions TW. :cool:

Upvote 0
Untill the majority of people actually have massive resolutions, then the SMGs need to be nerfed.

In standard RO, the ranges at which Rifles really outstrip SMGs, enemies only appear as a few pixels, so its hard to hit with anything (unscoped).

If this can be sorted then I'd like to see recoil go down (especially the PPSH), but with the maps and resolutions that currently exist, the SMG would just be too effective, far more effective than in realistic battle situations IMO.

Upvote 0
Untill the majority of people actually have massive resolutions, then the SMGs need to be nerfed.

In standard RO, the ranges at which Rifles really outstrip SMGs, enemies only appear as a few pixels, so its hard to hit with anything (unscoped).

If this can be sorted then I'd like to see recoil go down (especially the PPSH), but with the maps and resolutions that currently exist, the SMG would just be too effective, far more effective than in realistic battle situations IMO.
Add a manual zoom feature and the problem is solved. Nerfing the weapons is inexcusable in a series claiming unparalleled realism.

Upvote 0
I like your take on the new bash animation. Maybe give the player the option to unfold the stock (Less recoil, no melee) or folded stock (More recoil, but melee). Also, being able to knock enemies down to the ground would be kinda cool now I think of it :)

I don't see why wouldn't you be able to melee with the stock unfolded :) But I support the folding-unfolding idea. It should spice up the gameplay a bit.

Upvote 0
The Mp-40 has 200 meter effective accuracy the same as (the smaller 7.62 round ) Ppsh-41. The Disportionate range and range beween the ppsh and the mp-40 always puzzled me in Ro, realistically they are quite similar. I just hope in Ro-2 I can shot someone with the mp-40 ten to twenty meters away with some kind of accuracy.
50 metres mate.
That's the engagement range for an Smg.
100 metres is maximum effective range for an MP40.

The bullet will travel 200 metre's but not with any degree of accuracy. The barrel is too short.
200 metres is extreme range.

Upvote 0
thats not really true

you can hit targets with a pistol out to 50m just fine, without any serious problems, at 100m you can still hit a man sized target with some degree of carefull aiming and a good load

a SMG has a way longer barrel (thus higher accuracy and more v0) than a pistol and with carefull aiming you can hit up to 200m

(im talking about a loaded cartidge, so you can decrease those values a bit, maybe out to 150m.. dunno)

i think those 50m are more a distance where you can land a short burst in a target

Last edited:
Upvote 0
certainly not with the first shot, but definatley with a few tries

and whats the difference in iccuracy against a stationary target and moving target?

doest the weapon get more inaccurate then?
does the bullets morale suffer and they flee? :p

the question was if a Mp40 can hit targets at 200m range, someone said no, only out to 100m, and i just countered that with my own experiences
i didnt shoot a Mp40 thought ;)

Upvote 0
To support Lemon, the internet states very different max. and effective ranges for the MP40. The German wikipedia thread states 200m, the English meanwhile says 100m. Whom to believe now?

Let's say as the MP40 had sights for 100m and for 200m it had about 200m.

But no to get this shifted to the game, the only thing is that it's a balance thing.
Let's look back to the mod. The MP40 had some high recoil similiar to the PPD and the PPSh. Difference? The large ammo capacity. A interesting thing is that the MGs when you rush trough one belt or drum overheat, the PPSh does not. PPSh should overheat though.

Anyway the MP40 had less ammo capa which is historically correct. But what's a nail in the *** is the high recoil which was not present. Also the range of the MP40 compared to the PPSh is way off.

Now in RO Ostfront each SMG got an even more insane recoil. In different threads here in the forums people shout for realism so the request for a "realistic recoil" for the MP40 is just normal.
What you guess why almost everyone is taking an StGw44 or a captured PPSh ingame rather than taking/keeping his MP40. The game simply ****ed up the gun. Which is really sad :(.
If TWI keeps this up for HoS there's a real problem cause there are no StGw44s "just" the MP40.
I don't believe that the texts reporting the MP40 was called a good gun and was loved by allied soldiers who got their hands on it are dump. It's real therefore the MP40 should be the "feared weapon" it was in house-to-house fighting.

Got my aim? :)

Upvote 0
Hey Lemon, I do like the MP40 also, but I dislike tow things with the current MP40: a) the recoil, b) the reloading animation when the gun is empty loaded.

The recoil is ridiculous, too many videos on the web tell different stories on it.
The same is the thing with the safety notch. Why the hell is this guy doing this?!? Honestly when I reload the PPSh I don't switch to safe, neither I do with the Kar98k or any other weapon in the game. Why then the MP40?
The MP40 is an blow back operated weapon.
When you fire the gun the charging handle is moving forward and backwards, like animated currently. So thumbs up here.
As the last bullet left the weapon, you'll hear a "click", the firing pin hit nothing, meanwhile the breech block is also yet in forward position.
Now all you got to do is to insert a new magazine and pull back the charging handle to the very rear end, then you release it and it will snap in place. The MP40 is ready to fire again. You don't need the safety notch, useless and time stealing animation.
If you want to see this kind of animation in action go for the videos linked in the first posting of this thread. :)

Upvote 0