• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Most Significant Person,,in..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also technically a person may not have lived in the period but could have done something that had an influence in it anyway. As such Lenin could be a candidate (although I don't personally think so), since his creation of the Soviet Union did have a major influence on the later half of the century.

Upvote 0
to be totally honest I THINK I would vote for Hitler. If I could!

don't get me wrong, he did loads of bad things, killing specific races, doing unhumanly science, making war, propoganda, spreading fear and so on and so far

but because of hitler, we are more then ever intrested trying to communicate and be in peace with eachother, because we are afraid of a next world war...

I think maniacs like Hitler makes alot of sadness. but it also gives sort of lecture to the future generations of what we did wrong and how they could make it better for themself.

its called history. and bad history dont always repeat it self.

Upvote 0
If

If

The change of the economic model of communism,,to a sort of free enterprise capitalistic system,in East Germany,Poland,Romania,Russia,and the splintering of The late Yugoslavia,,matters not,,than I'll ponder other people.
However,,I must add this..

I am grateful for the acceptance Thetoad has received here.To land on a site,where the main game,,,is gaming,,and an outsider,,with no credentials to speak of,,and is somewhat included,,,,Warms The Cockels,,Of My Heart,,and I honestly would like to say simply,,,,THANK YOU...

Reactions: Gudenrath
Upvote 0
As I Recall

As I Recall

Glasnost,,,,,Perestroika,,,was a far cry to what is happening there today.During that period,,,,, the governmental apparatchniks,simply took over those industries deemed experimental,,or open..

I remember l a visit Gorby had to a Canadian supermarket,,and he was astounded simply by the variety of bacon available to consumers.That visit may have moved him,to do what he did.

Don't get me wrong,,,he showed balls doing the things he did,,against strident opposition,,but not Thee Most Significant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Glasnost,,,,,Perestroika,,,was a far cry to what is happening there today.During that period,,,,, the governmental apparatchniks,simply took over those industries deemed experimental,,or open..

I remember l a visit Gorby had to a Canadian supermarket,,and he was astounded simply by the variety of bacon available to consumers.That visit may have moved him,to do what he did.

Don't get me wrong,,,he showed balls doing the things he did,,against strident opposition,,but not Thee Most Significant.

It doesn't seem like you have enough knowledge about the period to make a correct assesment. His actions was the direct cause of the fall of the Soviet Union, no more no less. Without his deliberate reform line during the 1980s and his ultimate decision not to use force against the insurrections in East Germany we would still have had a Cold War today.

There was no reform movement in the Party at that time before Gorbachev, and most historians (Tony Judt, Mark Mazower, Hobsbawm) assess that even though the economical situation in the SU was disasterous (as it had been for decades, but it lived largely as a parasitic entity off of its sattelite states), there was no pressing reason it couldn't have continued for at least another half a century.

Upvote 0
Every Revolution Has,,,

Every Revolution Has,,,

A starting Date..for the gays,,,The Stonewall Bar,,Civil rights,,,"I have a Dream " speech .For the disintegration of communist states,,,, The Solidarity Union 1980.Through their effective strikes,martial law was imposed 1981,however they went underground and became more,,and more recognized,,,,as well as being watched by citizens in the entire bloc.Indeed,it lingered on the Body Communista,,like Pancreatic Cancer.

By their perseverance,and stubbornness,more countries ,under the yoke,,looked harder & deeper into what was transpiring.The polish military was unwilling,,and unable to deal the death blow,,because of the Conehead in Rome.

I suggest,Gorby,,saw the writing on the wall,and what was brewing,,,,so he simply yielded,,,partially.He thought throwing a little freedom,,here,,some there,,would stem the tide.He was wrong.Like that line,,,If you give in to a monkeys DEMAND FOR MILK,,,,,HE WILL THEN,,DEMAND COOKIES.

He was a politician,,nothing more,,,And he acted,,because he was forced to.

P.S.Sir Albert E. Of the Swiss,,,,is a great choice..

Last edited:
Reactions: Gudenrath
Upvote 0
A starting Date..for the gays,,,The Stonewall Bar,,Civil rights,,,"I have a Dream " speech .For the disintegration of communist states,,,, The Solidarity Union 1980.Through their effective strikes,martial law was imposed 1981,however they went underground and became more,,and more recognized,,,,as well as being watched by citizens in the entire bloc.Indeed,it lingered on the Body Communista,,like Pancreatic Cancer.

By their perseverance,and stubbornness,more countries ,under the yoke,,looked harder & deeper into what was transpiring.The polish military was unwilling,,and unable to deal the death blow,,because of the Conehead in Rome.

I suggest,Gorby,,saw the writing on the wall,and what was brewing,,,,so he simply yielded,,,partially.He thought throwing a little freedom,,here,,some there,,would stem the tide.He was wrong.Like that line,,,If you give in to a monkeys DEMAND FOR MILK,,,,,HE WILL THEN,,DEMAND COOKIES.

He was a politician,,nothing more,,,And he acted,,because he was forced to.

P.S.Sir Albert E. Of the Swiss,,,,is a great choice..

Unfortunately, while they certainly were courageous, few historians really thinks that the protest movements in Poland or Chechoslovakia had any real importance in connection with the fall of the Soviet Union.

They had a tremendous important for the political development of the countries they occurred in, especially after the fall, since many of the alternative societal structures developed was able to take over the reigns when the communist system dissolved (but in Poland also before), however there is no evidence that they influenced the overall imperial policy of the Kreml one iota.

Upvote 0
Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton, our economy wasn't **** like it is now. And they knew how to run a country and respect the other party.

I would also choose MLK.

Clinton wasn't a terrible president, but he wasn't a great one either.

Although the economy wasn't doing too badly under his administration, it really wasn't that great either. People talk about a budget surplus, balanced budgets, etc., but that's a little bit disingenuous and misleading: the national debt still grew, and there was still a deficit. Also, Clinton's administration set the policies in place that set up the US housing bubble. (In an interesting - and usually ignored - twist, the Bush administration's attempts to fix some of those problems were shut down by Congress. It wouldn't have stopped the meltdown, but it would have contained it a lot more.)

Reagan by himself wouldn't have been particularly significant. What made him successful in breaking down the Soviet Union was having Gorbachev as his opposite number. Reagan's military buildup, with Kruschev or Stalin as his opposite number, would probably have been met with a Soviet first strike.

Upvote 0