• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Last Of Us

I thought it looked spectacular, I love how scarce ammo was so that shooting was a decision to make, rather than the way to do it. It really had a desperate feel to it, which many games gloss over. The commentary had a very personal atmosphere, from both the main characters and the enemies.

I loved how the familiar chat from all characters contrasted so heavily with the intense violence that followed. The exclamation after the molotov was an amazing touch in my opinion. It achieved a gritty, grim, and desperate atmosphere through the contrast between a reasonable period of safety and a sudden transition into danger that they were ill equipped for. And amazingly they had the right degree of gravity for the situation. They did what they had to do but it wasn't comfortable. "thanks for help with the... uh... killing." and other touches like the ducking animation when a shot was fired were so amazing.

That said, this could still go horribly south. If you are fighting every second of the game and that early part is just the transition from one fight zone to another, its going to get real stale, real fast. Especially with how quick-timey the combat looked to be up close.

This is the type of game that would benefit enormously from physics puzzles, and exploration puzzles, with combat being used a little more sparingly to keep up the tension up. And vary the length of the combat scenarios. Some are one or 2 enemies which can be snuck past or at least not be not be a huge threat. And some are long and multi-staged like the one seen where it gets really dicey. And for gods sake make the healthpacks a rare commodity.

And give the girl decent ai please. Please.

So far, so good. Looking forward to this, really hope they don't **** this one up

Upvote 0
I am simply stunned. That was extraordinary!

Sound? As already pointed out, fantastic interaction between the characters, felt so natural and really helped build and flesh out those characters. An additional plus was the added reverb from recording it in that conference hall — gave it such a cinematic feels; I hope it won't sound flat without it.
The ominous combat music was great, instantly took a liking to it.

Visuals are good, I like the details. Camera transitions during melee and also camera twitching while being hit (looked like) gave it an extremely visceral feeling.

My main concern is whether this is an on-rails heavy script, or a dynamic, situational script. Like for instance when the girl picks up a brick during a lull in the first wave of enemies, which she later throws at that guy — was that scripted that she picks up that very brick every time you go near it, or was this something that just, you know, happened?
Melee, as noted above, feels really solid, with all these grapples, choking and stuff going on.

What can I say — I'd be sold, were it not for PS3 only.

Upvote 0
Looks fantastic but some bitter taste left me after watching it...

Scares me a little bit how far video-games have come. Did you hear the audience joy the moment he shot the guy in the face at the end?

Think about it - not better than roman citizen cheering gladiators in the arena and loving the violence and gore...

Upvote 0
Scares me a little bit how far video-games have come. Did you hear the audience joy the moment he shot the guy in the face at the end?

Yes, that did sound awkward to hear those people cheer. Heck, the developers even made the girl companion react negatively towards the violence (which I'd like to see something of a last resort, with ways of avoiding it) and they cheer such a brutal moment? Odd.

Upvote 0
This does look very interesting. I get the vibe it's more like an interactive movie than a traditional game, but that doesn't really bother me with this one. The setting and the characters are spot on, and the story seems kind of cool too. I'd gladly play(watch?) this if it comes out on PC sometime. Otherwise, a youtube playthrough will suffice I guess.

Upvote 0
Setting aside the game for just one second...

Think about it - not better than roman citizen cheering gladiators in the arena and loving the violence and gore...

Let's see:

1. Video game characters aren't real.
2. We're not having video game characters killed because of their religious beliefs.
3. It's not a blood sport without blood.

Yes, it's embarrassing to watch man-children applaud pure gore and violence. But that's all it is. People stand up and gawk when some guy in Nascar turns himself into a ball of fire. The human condition is to pay attention to moments like that, and maybe even enjoy them somehow, because they're not happening to you or someone you care about.

Upvote 0
Well the thing that got me going was not the fact that the "crowd" cheered because of the act but more that they appreciated what the game had done, scripted or otherwise, if you see what I mean.

The graphics look pretty good to me, np.

I liked what I saw of the cover system.

Now this is completely unbiased from myself because I don't have a console, never have had and I doubt very much that I ever will.
I do have an Xbox controller, brand new, just sitting there winking at me.

Upvote 0
Another thing I thought of while commuting to work was how all the gangers were males, which compares negatively with, for instance, Fallout 3. It help for me if some of the gangers encountered were women. I mean, it's not like they're pulling any punches in this game, so why baulk at that?

Upvote 0
Looks fantastic but some bitter taste left me after watching it...

Literally the same thing I thought.

Upvote 0