• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The IRC questions on the Crosshairs cast have now been answered

Id like to see BF2's system where the artillery assets can be destroyed by the players
No, this is not BF where you can sneak behind enemy lines that easily and see artillery unprotected. Artillery was always miles away from the frontline and could not be disabled that easy. I've always thought that being able to destroy enemy artillery is BF2 was really stupid and unrealistic.

Upvote 0
I for one find it good, it happened more frequently in RO than i think it should have, and you didn't just drop the gun, but also all your ammo, so in most cases, if it happened to you, it was a death sentance, that left you running around like a headless chicken waiting to die.

It was funny and a nice detail the first few times it happened to you, but it got old real quick, and did nothing to help gameplay, quite the opposite, as it gave rise to lots of griefing, and unrealistic moments in the game (people intentionally running into gunfire to die and respawn with a gun, or players chasing eachother all around maps to finish off the guy they had disarmed in an ammusing way), it usually distracted more from the gameplay than it added (i can think of a few times where it resulted in something cool, but most times not, most times it was some jerk from my own team that shot my gun away just to grief).

I think he means two things by that (but i hope someone from TWI will confirm just to lay the concearn to rest):

1) The new "relaxed mode" HUD which will teach new players how to play the game (well allmost), whereas in Ro1, new players often had no clue what they should be doing on the maps.

2) Smoother and more intuitive controls, none of that Ro1 "stifness".

Thouse two alone makes the game infinately more accessible to new players, but won't harm the game's realism for the rest of us.
I support this post.

Upvote 0
I never played RO, are RO fans happy with the no gun drop or sad?

I think it would be annoying to be dropping your weapon left and right, but i never played the original

I think its good since there is a bandaging system in place, rather than having the weapon shot out of your hand it could be that you simply cannot aim without severe sway/recoil till you bandage your hand instead.

Upvote 0
I would have to disagree with you Grobut. It doesn't happen very often, and when it does happen, I was more relieved than annoyed that it was just a hand shot and not something lethal.

You would never have had to run around like a headless chicken waiting to die, because you would either be killed immediately after the first hit (in which case, it makes no difference that you dropped your weapon), or you would have time to retrieve your weapon (which lands right beside you) which, barring Ost's terrible pickup system, should take only a few seconds.

But during those few seconds, it's a brief feeling of vulnerability that really makes things interesting and exciting. In first person shooters, you're either alive and good, or dead. But rarely are you ever straddling the line between the two.

It would also be pretty absurd for TW to implement a highly detailed damage model, but have absolutely no effect when your fingers get blown off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It would also be pretty absurd for TW to implement a highly detailed damage model, but have absolutely no effect when your fingers get blown off.
I agree with this -- I always thought weapons getting shot out of your hand wasn't handled very well in RO1, but I do think that at the very least your accuracy should definitely suffer considerably if you are shot in one or both hands.

Upvote 0
Here's a quote straight from the PC Gamer article straight from Ramm about not knowing how many rounds are in your magazine.

You never know exactly how much ammo you have in your gun, so you end up having those 'oh crap' moments where you run around the corner to shoot enemies, pull the trigger, and nothing happens. It gives the player a brief moment of panic....For too long I feel that multiplayer shooter designers have been only trying to give players joy. Now is the time to stop feeding FPS players only cotton candy, and give them some steak and potatoes along with the sweet stuff.

Gee, getting your weapon shot out of your hand fits the above description pretty well. Seems quite contradictory not to include it.

Upvote 0
Gee, getting your weapon shot out of your hand fits the above description pretty well. Seems quite contradictory not to include it.

It does, but there are to many problems connected with it, like say, you are on my team, and i see you are getting ready to traverse a dangerous clearing to get into the capzone, and i think "Gee, woulden't it be funny if that guy dropped his gun in the middle of that street where he can't retrive it without dying?"
trollface.png

"problem?".

Yeah.. i wasen't kidding when i said the vast majority of times my gun has been shot away in Roost, it was some jerk from my own team that was responsible for it, either just to grief, or because he wanted the restricted gun i was carrying, real bloody ammusing :rolleyes:

Thus, if it was to be implimented, then at the very least team members should not be able to do it to other team members (and it woulden't get any better once you add heroes with their shiny and alluring special guns, that i can garuentee!).

EDIT: And here's another problem to considder, in Ro2 we will be able to pick up a second long weapon, unlike Roost where if you picked something up, you would drop what you where allready carrying.
Add to this that where the weapon falls would still be slightly differen't on all clients (this stuff needs to happen clientside or it would needlessly overburden the servers), and it would be very easy for someone nearby to pick up your dropped weapon and leave nothing behind for you.

That is actually very likely the reason they have taken it out, come to think of it..

Last edited:
Upvote 0