• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Video] The Hungarian corridor - unknown WW2 act of Polish-Hungarian friendship

morticore

Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2012
Łęczyca, Poland
I don't know if you ever heard about unusual relation between two nations - the Polish and the Hungarians. It's a strong bound of loyalty that started somewhere in the medieval and was carried on to the present day. It was true even in difficult years of Second World War, when Hungary was a one of axis powers. I just realized today that there is nice document about it with English subtitles on youtube.

[video=youtube;-YCSh7eSTSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCSh7eSTSM[/video]

The German Military High Command planned to get the Second Hungarian Reserve Corps to crush the Warsaw uprising. However, the Hungarian contingent of thirty thousand troops misled their military ally. Not only did the soldiers provide large quantities of ammunition, weapons, food and medicine supplies for the Polish resistance Home Army but they also wanted to switch sides to support the rebels.

To add some context I'll paste below fragment of history of Kampinos Forest - a huge woods complex West from Warsaw:

During the II World War the arear of the Kampinos Forest became very important for the activity of the resistance movement, espionage operations, diversion and combat operatione conducted by the Home Army. It was a training center as well as supplying and communication headquarters. Warsaw Uprising.

The Home Army Group "Kampinos" as the only military unit from outisde Warsaw executed the order of General Tadeusz Komorowski alias "Bór" from August 14th 1944 and sent more than 1 100 well armed soldiers to help the fighting Warsaw. Thanks to the Army Group "Kampinos" the Kampinos Forest was for over two months an enclave of freedom. The liberate territories, on which the insurgents' troops auqrtered, were called the Independent Republic of Kampinos. (…)
The Army Group "Kampinos" was the only big, well organized military unit that fought in the Warsaw Uprising and did not surrender. The Group was defeated on September 29th 1944 in Budy Zosiny village near Jaktorów. During the uprising its soldiers fought in 47 battles and skirmishes. The Germans felt the severe consequnces of those actions. As a result they lost soldiers (1 200 killed, 460 wounded), weapons, military equipment, ammunition, food supplies, uniforms and soldier's equipment. The "Kampinos" Group also suffered severe casualties. Around 900 partisans died, around 500 were injured and around 200 were taken captives. The Kampinos Forest was supporting military uprising. It paralyzed the movement of the German forces at the rear of the capital city and was supplying food and weapons from the allies air drops. 36 out of 79 air drops assigned for the Warsaw Uprising were received on the territory of the Kampinos Forest. - source

There is complete lack of information about Hungarian participation in these events. To be honest I bet most of the Poles didn't even heard of it :p I think it may be interesting for you If like the little known histories from the Eastern front. If you would watch the video there are few of my corrections:

- Home Army as nationalist resistance – the Home Army was a main force of Polish resistance, but I wouldn't refer them as nationalists, rather just as an organization under control of Polish government in London. The Polish nationalists were actually other guys.
- The Russian and Ukrainians mentioned in the movie, if were not described as Red Army troops, are from German collaborative units.
- somewhere near end is information about 700 000 people killed in Warsaw. It's likely to be a mistake made in translation. In Warsaw died ca 200-250 thousands of the people, up to 700 000 were driven out from the ruins.