• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Graylist

avp2501

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Lost in the land of Magic
Why not have another list similar to the whitelist but called the Graylist?

So why have a Graylist?

many people liked playing KF-defence-b2 and KF-doom2 because they were easy maps to play with simple layouts and a simple difficulty. I agree that these maps should not be on the whitelist but what if they were on a graylist?

The graylist would be just like the whitelist but instead you only earn half the exp / points etc that you would earn on a whitelisted map. Of course headshots would still count as 1 hit per head since you still have to line up the shot.

This way cheaters / exploiters wouldn't bother with graylisted maps but people who arn't pro players can still play their fav maps and gain exp.

I've also worked on a different gametype for KF which I found to be alot of fun to play however the gameplay wasn't difficult enough to justify the gametype being whitelisted - but a graylist would be perfect for it.

Reactions: mistk�fer
I played with a lvl 6 player the other day and he was absolutely useless and only able to play on the easy difficulty. He had played more than enough hours to earn his stripes so he hadn't cheated - it's just that he is not that great a player.

Simple maps like defence and doom are ideal for him and so it's sad that genuine players can't earn experience on something more their level.

As for stalker kills, big deal. Just play an official map and find where the stalkers are most likely to spawn - hell I've got over 7000 stalker kills from JUST playing the game.

Of course maps would still be tested by kept for graylisting so they will be exploit free and not JUST have a spawn point for one type of zombie.

And because the Graylist uses half of the experience of the whitelist means that it will take players twice as long to level up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because you could still create a map that just spawns stalkers in a place where they can't reach you, and level your commando in less than an hour (well, after damage).

shot01863.png

Yep, this was on the whitelist :eek:

Upvote 0
Well we tested around 200 maps now so we are getting close to remove all the crap on the whitelist! :)

But i dont think a graylist is necessary. And a graylist would be more about the difficulty of the map. But TWI asked us to not judge the difficulty of the maps (unless if it really really easy).

Why oh why do people use PNG for screenshots. :(
Problem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Name one.

Man YoYo, so much resentment toward me all of a sudden.

Think about it, a handful of official maps getting exploit fixes vs. over 100 maps and countless versions of the same maps constantly being added and rechecked then re-exploited.

Official only is the way to go. But feel free to dislike this post because of some personal vendetta against ninjas.

Ninja's will never die.

Reactions: Murphy and SMIFF
Upvote 0
That should be like the perks behave on any non-whitelisted map and it's the way TWI wants them to behave on such maps too, but they are worried about security.

exactly. hopefully they'll eventually figure out a way to make this work. i still think that they should be able to take the Perks Replacement mutator, polish it up some, and force it to be downloaded in the next update. if the game could automatically detect that the player will be using a non-whitelisted mutator, then it could force the use of the Perks Replacement mutator. it's a better option to use until they can figure out how to make it like it is with the non-whitelisted maps while still being secure

Reactions: YoYoBatty
Upvote 0
there needs to be a list where people can use perks but not level them.
Why not just have this apply to anything that's not whitelisted?
What's the point in blocking people who legitimately earned their perks from using them on unbalanced maps?
Seems to just be a result of lazy incorporation of the whitelisting feature in my opinion.

Upvote 0