• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Game has Turned 10 Years Old

You know, I'll bet a lot of those who try the free version and enjoy it will compare the graphics to RO2 and buy the better looking one. As someone who has purchased a half-dozen copies of RO for friends and trial Steam accounts, I'm, quite sure that releasing it for free would make a lot of people very happy, and would probably improve Tripwire's bottom line a bit!

Upvote 0
Mr Wilson, please hear our plea, we love Ro1 to absolute death and want it to be free so all can enjoy it can we can get the servers full 24/7 again. I'm sure it could be of use to your company as a promotional tool; when tens of thousands load up a free copy of Ro1, thousands will be inclined towards buying Ro2, KF2, or other Tripwire titles; I'm sure an announcements of free RO1 would get on PCgamer and other big sites and result in a huge deluge of players. Darkest Hour has seen multiple updates in the last 6 months and made the front page of multiple sites like PCgamer. I think a freeware Ro1 solution could be a big win-win, for both the dollar-and-cents guys and the romantics.

Please! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To whom it may concern,

We the DH community would urge you to make R01 freeware. The game is coming uPto 14 years old and whats unbelievable is that this game continues to attract a good player base (its a great game). We hope that by making the game free ware we could increase the community size and this would bring more people on board to develop new content.

If you do not wish to make this freeware then how about making it free for a couple of months, this would help generate many new players and increase the popularity were by many others in the future would be interested in buying it; therefore increasing your sales if its a financial reason that you don't make it free.

Anyway looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.

Best Regards,

PFC Patison 29th [RET.]

Upvote 0
I bought Red orchestra back in 2007 and loved it from the get go! I would say it was my first realism fps. But flash forward to 2017, the game is practically dead. The mod darkest hour is what I play now. I have racked up 1600 hours in 4 years on it. The community is great, the devs still update it, and we want to see this mod thrive!

It's time to let Red orchestra go freeware! Help our community grow bigger. We would all thank tripwire for such an act.

Nathan Lewis

Upvote 0
I talked my friends into buying RO:Ostfront when the Steam release was inbound. We were teenagers back then. Now we are soon 30 years old all of us and we still play this game. That's a good grade for game.

I also recall all the suggestions we posted on your forums back then - You guys really did listen to our suggestions and that made us love the game even more. I remember especially when we asked for a chance to "ride" on tanks as infantry and you guys said 'sure!'.

As others have mention - Making RO:Ostfront freeware I'm sure a new group of players will find the game and the mods. There are thounds of players out there looking for the experiences RO and it's mods offers but doesn't know it.

If not freeware - Free weekend? Free month?

Upvote 0
Tripwire please, don´t bury this game even more. It has some of the best gun mechanics I´ve seen. It´s pretty hard but when you´re able to hit somebody is very rewarding. We have only 1 UK server, 1 Polish and 2 Russians. Please help us with a dedicated server in the U.S.

It would be awesome to convert this game into F2P or at least bring It back to Humble Bundle for free.

There´s around 40 people playing everyday, but mostly europeans. People in American continent suffer big input lag playing in european servers.

Don´t abandon this title, It´s like your prodigal son. It has gorgeous graphics and great sound for It´s time. It´s the closest thing to a WWII simulator.

Please help us with dedicated U.S. server :)

Upvote 0
Well - a lot of old memories....back then my moniker was Banquo.

I used to play a lot of UT99 mods so was always interested in trying out all available mods for that and then UT2003 when the latter was released.
The first thing that gripped me was the attention to detail and I remember showing my housemate the shoulder strap on the rifles swaying back and forth as you ran ( something that was taken out in later iterations of the mod). I played a lot of different games but always came back to RO. The feeling and weight of the guns was really impressive to me and the community was full of good people - very different to the mainstream crowd at the time.

One time, during the mod days, I was really doing well when a young chap by the name of Wilsonam started chatting to me during the game. I found out he lived on the other side of London to me, but never saw him in-game again during that period of time. I never did tell him the trick to that map was to run like the clappers down the right side of the street from the second the map started, to be able to start capturing one of the points. Wonder what ever happened to him.....

One of the early maps had the Germans in a trench and the Russians trying to take it - the achievement of actually getting into the trench was a great feeling and when you were defending the trench, as soon as the enemy got into the trench it felt like absolute chaos.

Other points during the mod days was capturing Caucasus - one guy took the lead on comms and a group of four or five of us went up the back way and somehow got into the main area and obliterated the enemy. That was the point I saw how great teamwork could be in a game. I was hooked.

When RO was officially launched, it was a day one purchase and I can remember spending many times playing through the night with supplies at my desk to keep me going. I felt the guns were a tad lighter than had been in the mod, but the game play overall was better. I generally liked to play with rifles and got good enough I was near the top of the board each game (something I could never claim in any other game).

The game that sticks out in my mind the most was where I hid under a train and continually killed tanks with the Russian anti-armour gun after they had passed me by, completely oblivious to the threat. One after another went down to my delight.

Then my personal circumstances changed for the worse and I did not even have a PC for a couple of years - there was no more RO for me at that time, but I am happy to say I got back to my feet in time for RO2.

I still look back at some of the innovations that Tripwire made in their games and cry foul when those innovations are attributed to other games. RO gave me not just a new gaming experience but a fascinating and fun one.

Here's to RO, its community and Tripwire!

Upvote 0