• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Image] The "Fuuuuuu" Day Thread (Crappy Day Thread)

They're going to flood a polder ( reclaimed land ) here in my province in The Netherlands, a bit of me died the moment the decision was final. Stupid wildlife preservation tree-huggers over at Brussels. If there was a way to flood their offices I'd do it.

Ironically the most rare birds and other animals gather round our nuclear power station because it's so quite and calm around that area. If those animals could speak they'ed vouch for a second one ;)

There's wildlife in the Netherlands? I thought it was all just urban or farmed areas.

Upvote 0
They're going to flood a polder ( reclaimed land ) here in my province in The Netherlands, a bit of me died the moment the decision was final. Stupid wildlife preservation tree-huggers over at Brussels. If there was a way to flood their offices I'd do it.

Ironically the most rare birds and other animals gather round our nuclear power station because it's so quite and calm around that area. If those animals could speak they'ed vouch for a second one ;)
Nuclear power? What do you do with the radioactive waste that has a half-life (thats HALF-life) of 2million or possibly 24,000 years?

I would think tree-huggers would be the least of your problems...:eek:

Upvote 0
Nuclear power? What do you do with the radioactive waste that has a half-life (thats HALF-life) of 2million or possibly 24,000 years?

I would think tree-huggers would be the least of your problems...:eek:
Pay another country that doesn't sit on a lot of underground water to bury it very deep. Pretty much what every nuclear powered country does...

Upvote 0
Well we take care of the radioactive waste, we store it above ground in large halls where the radioactive material is being put into large drums filled with cement. The highly radioactive material is stored in a very safe bunker where it is stored and cooled for a long time to come. It can withstand being hit by a fully loaded F16 jet-fighter. It's even designed to keep operating even when it's been flooded by the sea. We will do it like this till we can store it some place else, old mine shafts perhaps?

I've been at the site and the funny thing is that you actually suffer from less radiation there, then you would during a normal day outside the bunker/halls.

Upvote 0
Well we take care of the radioactive waste, we store it above ground in large halls where the radioactive material is being put into large drums filled with cement. The highly radioactive material is stored in a very safe bunker where it is stored and cooled for a long time to come. It can withstand being hit by a fully loaded F16 jet-fighter. It's even designed to keep operating even when it's been flooded by the sea. We will do it like this till we can store it some place else, old mine shafts perhaps?

I've been at the site and the funny thing is that you actually suffer from less radiation there, then you would during a normal day outside the bunker/halls.
That works, too. :)

The benefits to nuclear power are just so enormous it's completely irresponsible not to harness it.

Upvote 0

Just kicking the problem down the road for the next generation....

Imo, if a country/state/city uses the power, then that country/state/city has to deal with the waste. Some states here in the US are already balking at taking on more waste from out of state plants....

I'm not against "alternative" power. I just feel that in the rush to get off of fossil fuels, we were goaded into this 'safe' power source (Chernobyl/Fukushima Daiichi anyone?) without regard for the 'by-product'.

I can see the water vapor plume from cooling tower of the Grand Gulf nuclear plant from my house. During the 9/11 crisis, when all planes were grounded (including crop dusters) we would routinely see fighters doing fly-bys. Nothing to worry about, right? If that thing goes, my whole livelyhood goes with it. Wonder why they didn't build it in the city that benefits most from it, but chose to put it out in the middle of the delta farmland?

Upvote 0
Well I'm all ears for a new source of power which can supply our needs without an immense increase in electricity costs ( which is where it all comes down to in the end, agree? ). In the Netherlands were are thinking about tidal energy, but that's far more sophisticated then most people want to believe, maintenance is one of the things that comes into play.

If the research centers get fusion power to work as intended it can replace the nuclear stations, however I don't think you'll see it work for the next 30-50 years. That's hopefully the final solution ( Only the core of the reactor will get radioactive!) to our electricity needs and it's very safe. If you haven't read up on it already, you should!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
kablooie! said:
Some asshole started cutting his lawn at 730am this morning. He's still going at it.

IS HE A C***?

Man, I've got an inconsiderate neighbor story as well.

A couple of guys (poofs, not that there's anything wrong with that) moved in to the house that shares the back fence with me. Before these guys showed up the neighborhood was nice and quiet, real peaceful. Now, I live on a nightclub farm. Let me explain.

Upon moving in these guys install moderately sized outdoor speakers hanging under the roof overhang pointed in the direction of my place. They play the crappiest radio slop music at volumes that compete with my TV which I'm sitting only about 13 feet away from. The bass just cuts through my house even though I have double-paned glass. On top of that, the cupcakes have about 10 chickens they let free range (which is illegal in my city), the pen they keep them in is right up against the fence (which is also illegal; it has to be at least 20 feet away from the property line), aaaaand, they have a rooster. A ****ING ROOSTER. In 36 years of my life I've never had to live next door to a rooster. Mind you, this isn't a rural area. I don't live on the outskirts of town. This is right in the middle of a suburban neighborhood. Before the sun comes up everyday that damned rooster just goes off and he doesnt stop until like 9am. Every 15 seconds for hours - ROOKA ROOKA ROOOO!

I called code enforcement for my city. It took a few complaints to the city to finally get the sweeties to come correct but I can at least sleep now. As for the music, it's been mostly on the weekends so I've let it slide, but if it bleeds into the weekdays they'll hear from the city again.

C*NTS!

Upvote 0
Man, I've got an inconsiderate neighbor story as well.

A couple of guys (poofs, not that there's anything wrong with that) moved in to the house that shares the back fence with me. Before these guys showed up the neighborhood was nice and quiet, real peaceful. Now, I live on a nightclub farm. Let me explain.

Upon moving in these guys install moderately sized outdoor speakers hanging under the roof overhang pointed in the direction of my place. They play the crappiest radio slop music at volumes that compete with my TV which I'm sitting only about 13 feet away from. The bass just cuts through my house even though I have double-paned glass. On top of that, the cupcakes have about 10 chickens they let free range (which is illegal in my city), the pen they keep them in is right up against the fence (which is also illegal; it has to be at least 20 feet away from the property line), aaaaand, they have a rooster. A ****ING ROOSTER. In 36 years of my life I've never had to live next door to a rooster. Mind you, this isn't a rural area. I don't live on the outskirts of town. This is right in the middle of a suburban neighborhood. Before the sun comes up everyday that damned rooster just goes off and he doesnt stop until like 9am. Every 15 seconds for hours - ROOKA ROOKA ROOOO!

I called code enforcement for my city. It took a few complaints to the city to finally get the sweeties to come correct but I can at least sleep now. As for the music, it's been mostly on the weekends so I've let it slide, but if it bleeds into the weekdays they'll hear from the city again.

C*NTS!

Curious , where do you live? I live on the west coast and our city neighbors used to have chickens/roosters. Even had the section 8 house next to us grow corn in their front yard . . . :rolleyes:

Upvote 0