• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The first impressions thread

LemoN

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006
Prussotroll's Bridge
Ok guys, I'd like to open this thread so we can all post our first impressions of the newly released HoS material.

No discussions of any sort will take place here.

+ The graphics are, if not ground breaking, very good.
+ Most animations are looking very good already, some might get tweaked as HoS still is an alpha.
+ The countdown game mode looks interesting.
+ Death message delay.
+ The cover system seems very easy to use and offers a whole new level of game-play.
+ Destruction! (even if limited).
+ Dialling in of range.
+ Alternate iron sights for scoped rifles!!!
+ Improved MG system.
+ Penetration!
+ Squad system.
+ Greatly improved AI.
+ Multiplayer "campaign" of successive maps.

- Reconnaissance aircraft
- No noticeable suppression system
- Sights come up too fast and stay perfectly aligned at all times
- Dialling in of range is too fast (May change if animations are included)
- Bandaging
- Too much information on the map (enemy contacts)
- The menu artwork and the HUD remind me of DoD
- Complete respawn of all people in countdown mode

What I'd like everyone to do here is make a similar list to mine.
This would give both TWI and people who get offended by criticism a chance to see what people liked and dislike.

Else it will just result in a discussion which will lead nowhere as this all comes down to preference of features. Flaming someone for not liking something is just as ridiculous as flaming someone for wanting grenade indicators and health regen.

IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS SOMETHING OR REPLY TO A POST, PLEASE DO IT IN A DIFERENT THREAD OR PER PM!

PS. If you like this thread, please give me a nice rating :p

In order to keep this thread clean, please ONLY post your + and - list here. If you want to discuss an individual feature, please use any of the other threads or create your own. I'll delete everything else. - Bobdog

Last edited:
-No suppression system is good, its just unrealistic. The fear should come from an actually deadly fire and the sound effect. The WW2 vets said they didn't feel anything special while being suppressed.

-Bandaging is not a bad thing, it's been in America's Army for years and proved to be awesome, with bleeding system it is much needed feature.

What I would actually call a minus -> ANIMATIONS, especially sprinting looks like theyre made of wood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Definitely, the ''- No noticeable suppression system'' is a major point for me.

DH knows an almost perfect suppression system, and Tripwire does not use this good idea that was worked out well.

Suppression (effects) is/are a vital and key-aspect of infantry-tactics (remember the brothers in arms-games?). It would really be a pity and unrealistic that it will not be in ROHOS.

Furthermore, the running animations looked like they needed more work. As it is, I like the running animation in ROOST more.

I agree with the rest of the + points.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- No noticeable suppression system
- Bandaging

I agree. Those "features" are made for CoD crowd and hopefully they will be disabled in normal Red Orchestra mode.

Upvote 0
+ Textures are amazing
+ Destructible environments
+ Awesome animations
+ Cover system looks easy and accessible
+ Bleeding out functions look awesome (see below in negatives)
+ Short countdown timer discourages German camping (something I HATE)
+ Bullet penetration is awesome
+ Germans and Soviets have different sprint models (see below in negatives)
+ Recoil and sight functionality looks fantastic. Also being able to focus your vision further while and while not sighting in is a plus
+ Occular occlusion is badass, even if I won't be sniping :)
+ Sight adjustment
+ Levels are beautiful and, from the eye, appear to have a good layout

- Reconnaissance aircraft functionality (not necessarily the whole thing itself). I think the callouts should be red blobs instead of the precise dots (as other people have suggested previously)
- No suppression. Looks like it could make cover too overpowering
- Countdown respawning if still alive
- Bandaging seems too fast. To counter the longer time it takes to bandage, I guess extend the time you have to bandage yourself
- In first person, the Germans have the same sprint model as the Soviets. It's not really a big deal but it is just something I noticed. In addition to animation problems, like previously said HUNDREDS of times, the German sprint is too slow :D
- Same scope reticule for the M91/30 and the Kar 98k. It may not be done, I don't know, but I just thought I'd mention it

Upvote 0
+ Good graphics
+ Improved animations; still needs refining
+ Loving the ability to dial in sights and optics
+ AI is definitely looking better. Still has a long way to go, but it's an improvement.
+ This game has the best cover system I've ever seen. Good job.
+ Bullet penetration: good!
+ I like the partial destruction system. IMO it would be better to have chunks of houses blown off, rather than just have them be reduced to magically still-standing charred twigs.
+ Death animations/rag doll thing: it's a bit clunky now, but I see some promise.
+ Tanks! Urrah! Urrah!

+/-: No suppression. In one way, this is a good thing. Darkest Hour's suppression is ****. However, something like Resistance and Liberation's is not. You can still return accurate fire, but your gun starts to shake a little bit and your vision gets a bit black. However, if someone rounds the corner and sprays half a magazine of a Thompson at you, you can still very easily return fire. None of this "BAM your guns pointed at the sky" ****. So, this could go either way depending on how the devs decide to implement it, if they implement it.

- Everything about the font. Just... ugh.
- Everything about the map. Why are the commander icons like that? This isn't a game set in the future. Make the icons little pieces of paper tacked on to the side of map set on a slightly-yellowed, slightly stained piece of paper. There shouldn't be any blinking dots, there should be small drawn circles or squares to represent what has been spotted.
- The HUD: It's...eh? I really don't like it. A very plain, white-colored representation of your equipment would be better.
- Inventory. In my opinion this would be better represented by an ArmA 2-esque "Gear" screen.
- The scout plane. I know that it will usually take 2-3 minutes to come in, and will only be available once or twice, and even then only for a few minutes before it flies off, but still. Marking stuff on the map? Huh? There's no way in hell that some Lieutenant in command of a platoon has radio contact with that plane. It could work if the plane (NOTE: This is someone else's idea. Sorry guy, I can't remember your name.) fired off colored flares to indicate what type of enemy he spotted and how many, but I really dislike the system as is.
- Oh, also, the fire-direction indicator. I don't like it the way it is. Something much more subtle, like a slight distortion of the air in the general direction (North-West-East-South) of the firer would be much better.

Update:

- Can't get out of tanks. Errr, why? Just have a lengthy dismount animation that greatly exposes the exiting crewman to gunfire (or any other type of attack directed against him) and you're good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reposted from the gamescom video thread:

Amerikaner said:
+ slow death feature - makes dying more interesting
+ one life per stage - a nice compromise between unlimited and single life (as others have said I wish the still living players wouldn't be forced to respawn as well however)
+ cover system/blind fire - looks very smooth and useful
+ animated ragdoll deaths - though kind of a choppy transition makes deaths look more interesting
+ graphics - everything from the models to the textures to the light rays to the animations (not perfect but I like em) and shadows look very very good
+ bullet penetration - yes! finally!
+ black area of 3d scope - awesome touch
+ weapon carrying animation difference - another awesome touch
+ dialed in sniper scope/iron sighted sniper rifles - little options like this add up and make the truly great games, another awesome touch
+ destruction - it's by no means BC2 but I'm happy to see it in place

- HUD/UI too colorful, cartoony, and gamey looking. The cap zone bar especially looks pretty bad and even more out of place here than in Ostfont. Ideally no HUD at all and simple ingame notifications from a little animation or sound would work best but if not that a simple black and white bar or text would be more appropriate to not detract from the 3D visuals.
- Recon planes are also gamey and out of place considering the realism elsewhere.

Upvote 0
+ Everything is beautiful and spectacular to look at.

+ Destructable environments but not to a point where entire buildings lie flat. (we can finally get the campers out of the houses with arty ^.^)

+ Commander system. (always nice to have some one overseeing our progress)

+ Squad system (woot)

+ Reloading animations looks very nice.

+ Cover system

+ Penetration (to counter cover system)

+ Rockets.

- Errr, I guess all I can say is that I want some more game modes...

- And also, I wanted to see tanks :mad:

Upvote 0
+Looks good
+All the real improvements

-"Casual friendly" as in dumbed down
-Smaller maps were mentioned(Consoles haven't got enough memory to run the bigger ones? :E)
-Recon plane
-Recon plane
-Recon plane
-Minimap
-Red dots on minimap

I hope a lot of features can be disabled or modded away. Otherwise, looking good on some parts and worrying on others.

Upvote 0
+ Very Good Graphics
+ Improved Animations
+ The Cover System
+ Blind Firing
+ Firing/Peeking Around Corners
+ Range Setting on Weapons
+ Improved MG System and Setup
+ Penetration
+ Countdown Mode (in general)
+ Alternate Site Modes for Sniper Rifles
+ Improved AI
+ Partial Building Destruction To Skeletons
+ Command Options for Squad Leaders
+ Single Player: Take Over Other Avatar Upon Death
+ Bleeding Out
+ Death Animations
+ How AI Takes Cover, Looks, and Goes To Cover Again
+ Scopes: Shadow Effect With Fast Movement
+ All Out Running at Video End Seemed Real
+ Dynamic Music System With Morale
+ Nice Looking Maps
+ Weapon Holding Difference Between Germans and Russians While Running
+ Lighting and Shadows Are Awesome, Especially The Shadows
+ Weapon Contact With Objects, Collision
+ Grenade Priming Animation
+ Slightly Reduced SMG Recoil From ROOST

? Countdown Mode Respawn (how its done with live/dead players)
? Squad System (not clear on this)
? Reconnaissance Aircraft (too much too often?)
? Bandaging (how fast?)
? Sound Quality (can't tell in videos of gameplay)
? In Some Scenes Running or Jogging Appeared Slo-Mo'ish (work in progress most likely)
? Ragdoll Effects (couldn't tell how they compare to RO)
? 3D Voices And Voice/Command Range (unknown if it will be based on range)
? Some Weird Gliding Movement For Some Of The AI Soldiers (incomplete animations?)
? Suppression System mentioned to be in the works (new info)

- Way Too Much Intelligence Info Even for Relaxed Realism UNLESS in Single Player Only
- Too Much HUD (not related to intelligence info above) and Large Size of Icons and Font: Intrusive

---------------

To be continually edited I am sure as more info is made available

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok guys, I'd like to open this thread so we can all post our first impressions of the newly released HoS material.

No discussions of any sort will take place here.

+ The graphics are, if not ground breaking, very good
+ Most animations are looking very good already, some might get tweaked as HoS still is an alpha.
+ The countdown game mode looks interesting.
+ The cover system seems very easy to use and offers a whole new level of game-play.
+ Destruction! (even if limited)
+ Dialling in of range
+ Alternate iron sights for scoped rifles!!!
+ Improved MG system
+ Penetration!
+ Squad system
+ Greatly improved AI
+ Multiplayer "campaign" of successive maps

- No noticeable suppression system - Make it like Ost
- Bandaging

Wow, you summed it up nicely for me. Just made one change in bold.

Will add this to:

- Snapping in/out of blind fire is too quick.
- Minimap. Still don't see its purpose

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+ Recon Planes --> I for one am excited about this. 1) it seems like only the squad leader gets more info about the battlefield, so good, because a SL should have more info.
2) I can imagine having a lot of fun reacting to an enemy recon-plane, such as scrambling for cover, screaming to my teammates to not bunch up so much as there'll be artillery incoming in soon. Going to be fun :).
+ Graphics are delicious.
+ Leaning around cover/cover system in general.
+ Map design! Looks like some fun playgrounds to run around in.
+ Sniper scope/ability to switch to iron sights.:eek:
+ AI looks like it could be actually fun to play with offline, especially as I was hearing a lot of voice chatter that human players don't tend to do (like "I see Germans", etc)
+ Battlefields look alive and natural
+ mkb42 seems like the kind of gun that would be good for heroes. It's different than the MP40, but not necessarily better: it has its own disadvantages as well (such as much greater recoil).
+ all 3d models, environmental objects look great

- I don't really care for the neon green font, or the loadout menu really

Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0
+Most of the basic features (penetration, cover, stuff what LemoN and Mr.Moe said etc)
+Has actually proper visuals instead of puking post processing and bloom in your face 24h\7 :cool:

-Very conflicting or incomplete information regarding certain subjects, including reconnaisance aircraft, relaxed realism vs standard\full realism, suppression system, popping up etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0