• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Elder Scrolls V

I doubt Bethesda will make anything like Morrowind again. They have gone way, way too mainstream in recent years.

I am not really loving the graphics either, in fact it looks just like Oblivion with slightly better textures. I guess it will run sweet on modest PC hardware but some special effort to take advantage of the power on high end equipment would be nice. Some of the textures are rubbish, the NPC near the sawmill looks like he is made of play dough. The indoor areas do look nice i'll give it that.

*Insert obligatory "Oh no, Skyrim is not Morrowind II" remark.*

Every TES game has been different so just wait till the game comes out before you develop a direction opinion on it.

As for graphics, who really cares? I play Morrowind still and the faces look like bricks, it really doesn't have much of an effect on my enjoyment of it. With that said, the graphics are not absolute top of the line for Skyrim, but given the scale of the world and the game its looking pretty incredible... Once Ive got AA and Anastropic filtering on, playing on 1900x1200 Im sure the game will really shine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*Insert obligatory "Oh no, Skyrim is not Morrowind II" remark.*

Every TES game has been different so just wait till the game comes out before you develop a direction opinion on it.

As for graphics, who really cares? I play Morrowind still and the faces look like bricks, it really doesn't have much of an effect on my enjoyment of it. With that said, the graphics are not absolute top of the line for Skyrim, but given the scale of the world and the game its looking pretty incredible... Once Ive got AA and Anastropic filtering on, playing on 1900x1200 Im sure the game will really shine.
In all honesty, from what I've heard so far Skyrim is more of a RETURN to Morrowind in many ways. There is a move towards text-based quests in an effort to give the player many more quests and the map is clearly more on the scale of Morrowind. Furthermore, the new Radiant AI system, which allows for more randomized and customized-to-the-player experiences and quests seems to be a huge step in the right direction.

It's tempting to say that Skyrim is dumbing down ES, but I just don't see evidence for it. To me it looks like they're making the most massive RPG we've ever seen, which is what they do every time they work on an ES game.

Upvote 0
Oblivion was much worse in every sense of simplification, stripped off features and all, so this one goes in the right direction, it even has the Morrowind travel system back! (Yes, it has Oblivion's travel too, but you can always mod that out :))

I feel that unlike in Oblivion, the modding of this game will be more about adding content, rather than fixing the game.

Upvote 0
Oblivion was much worse in every sense of simplification, stripped off features and all, so this one goes in the right direction, it even has the Morrowind travel system back! (Yes, it has Oblivion's travel too, but you can always mod that out :))

I feel that unlike in Oblivion, the modding of this game will be more about adding content, rather than fixing the game.
Same. I'm super pumped about the radiant AI and quest system. I love how some stuff will just be randomly generated based on where you have been, who you have met, and where you are in the game, etc. Also, I like the design philosophy that your character merely becomes what you do. This was kind of true in previous ES games, but you were still screwed pretty much if you spec'd for one thing, and then found out by level 10 that you wanted to be a different kind of character.

Upvote 0

It has the "Fallout 3" fast travel, like the Oblivion one but a bit more limited.

The fast travel in itself was never a huge deal in Oblivion, it was more the fact that the second you leave the beginning dungeon you can immediately fast travel to any city. In skyrim, from the sounds of it, you'll have to go to a city at least once before you can FT to it.

So you have to take that one grand, dangerous adventure to the furthest reaches of the province :)

Morrowind's system was good, but it started to get tiresome needed to walk and silt strider back to a guild on fairly repetitive "fetch me this" quests.

Upvote 0
It has the "Fallout 3" fast travel, like the Oblivion one but a bit more limited.

The fast travel in itself was never a huge deal in Oblivion, it was more the fact that the second you leave the beginning dungeon you can immediately fast travel to any city. In skyrim, from the sounds of it, you'll have to go to a city at least once before you can FT to it.

So you have to take that one grand, dangerous adventure to the furthest reaches of the province :)

Morrowind's system was good, but it started to get tiresome needed to walk and silt strider back to a guild on fairly repetitive "fetch me this" quests.
I do think it hurt the experience in Oblivion where you could magically fast travel to a town you had never been to before. It's almost like the game assumes you have before you got to prison, which is OK I guess. That said, it would be nice if you had to make that first dangerous trip on foot :D

Upvote 0
After Oblivion and especially Fallout 3 and all its DLC, I'm exceptionally leery of any marketing claims Bethesda makes. The game looks great and cinematic, the characters are finally not butt-****ing ugly and even some of the mechanics are sounding like they've got the right spirit.

But then there's the spell crafting getting axed, and the fact they're once again mentioning Radiant AI. Should I get excited about the fact that they're once again mentioning the AI and questing system they've been modifying and tweaking since Oblivion? Or is that just Bethesda marketing speak?

In a perfect world where I have lots of money to burn, I'd buy on release because in the end I've enjoyed most Bethesda games on some level. But the world isn't perfect, and neither is Bethesda, so I'm waiting on release reviews to once again see where marketing meets reality. I see the words "Radiant AI" and I remember Oblivion's pre-release hype and I just start seeing red. And Fallout 3 convinced me Bethesda seeks the path of least resistance when they make games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think its too hard and pretty unfair to judge an Elder Scrolls game based on its past, yes even if we're hearing about Radiant AI again. There are always so many years (a long time in development terms) between TES games that so much can change. The Morrowind to Oblivion change has been as praised as much as it has been panned. There were a LOT of differences between the two. Perhaps Oblivion was a regression. Well, I don't see how Skyrim could be a further regression or a stagnation considering all the new gameplay elements we're getting, even if some are taken out and some unpopular (well unpopular on these forums, anyway) are staying. For instance, the argument that fast travel makes for lazy development looks to be potentially proven wrong now considering the differences in terrain they have shown in Skyrim. Big mountains with lots of grey in some areas, tons of snow in others, flowing rivers in caves, green forests in some places...and lets not forget the change in models. Orcs and Bretons look badass now, whereas Bretons were gay imperials and Orcs were half retards in Oblivion. The game seems to have a more mature and gritty art style to it now.

Upvote 0
Gamespot, IGN, I'm disappoint.
Same demo as Gametrailers, and no useful questions. ><

Instead of: hurr durr what does it mean to be the Dragonborn? I would have loved to see an interviewer ask something like: "will the game have dismemberment?" or... "will it use Steamworks?" or... "did that finishing move on the dragon triggered third person? or was it done like that just to show the animation in the demo?

Now that would be useful info.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does this one have same type of retarded leveling system than the last one? (sorry, I haven't read the thread)

I can't understand why you need to have leveling system in an open world game. It ****s up the quest rewards(save a princess at lvl 1 and the amulet you got as a reward is useless at lvl 5) and immersion ("Killing this bandit with my +100 damage magical fire hammer takes just as long as it did when I had my rusty dagger 20 levels ago").

Image how nice and simple it would be if your character didn't level up at all:
- Enemies/quest rewards/armors/weapons wouldn't need to scale up with your character.
- You wouldn't need to start new game every time you get bored of certain style since you could use them all, but you could still role play as a thief/mage/warrior if you wanted. Of course you would still get like bonuses for spells if you go without armor etc.
- Devs could control the difficulty level of different areas just by controlling what type of enemies the player faces in certain places and how tough certain enemies are and how many you will face at once.
- Finding new spells/equipment would make your char stronger. But naturally getting the best sword or whatever would be impossible at the start of the game since those places are protected by the baddest monsters in the game(=you need decent equipment/spells to defeat them), or you would have to play main story line to certain point to get them.
- Your characters awesomeness would be determined by your own skill and the equipment you have, instead of your EXP level.
- Lockpicking/bartering/persuading etc. could be done using minigames that change difficulty based on the object, not the EXP level.
- Lets be honest, no one cares about leveling, it all comes down to what fighting style you want to use, how good the quests are and how rewarding it is to find new powerful equipment. Leveling up just makes things worse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

That's the only thing I didn't like about Oblivion. The only solution is to create the oposite char that you want to play. That is if you want a warrior, create a mage with archery. This way you'll never level up your primary attributes (sword and shield would be secondary), and finally get some sense of "leveling".

Upvote 0
The vids look cool, but my psyche is so damaged from Oblivion that I'm not at all excited about this one. I'll wait to hear the feedback a month into it.
I'm with you Rez, I'm also fairly cynical about the radiant AI considering how all the hype around the AI in Oblivion turned out to be bollocks.

I remember the joy of doing the thief guild questline, stealing into places at the dead of night without being detected and flogging stuff. Then four quests later having some random guard half the world away try to arrest you for it, "STOP THIEF!" oh the memories :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something of interest I put together for those who've watched the G4 E3 presentation

skyrime3map.jpg

Reactions: Fedorov
Upvote 0