• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Elder Scrolls V

New dev interview up:

[url]http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1158651p1.html[/URL]

IGN: Finally, a few silly questions. Is there a unicorn in Skyrim?

Todd Howard
: That's DLC. For a hundred dollars.

IGN: Can you ride dragons in Skyrim?

Todd Howard
: Not in the way you're asking.

Can you levitate in Skyrim?

Todd Howard
: Another DLC. Three hundred dollars.

lolo.

Upvote 0
They made up a lot of bull**** when they presented Oblivion, so I'm kind of indifferent, but the more fluid animations for characters in combat look like they'll take the feel of combat to a new level.

Well, most of it was the usual PR talk, but the actual things that were in the game and later removed were for good reasons (especially RAI breaking the game world). Plus, Oblivion had about a year from E3 to release, wheras Skyrim is due in 5 months (and will likely be done development/gone gold by October).

Upvote 0
The new orcs actually look cool and ugly, instead of retarded and ugly.

skyrim-orc.jpg

Upvote 0
I'll just copy this over from another board where I posted my thoughts in the trailers too:
About the first one at the top of the page here:
I like the new first person melee. Third person looks cool too now, imo, but I probably won't use it much except for running around. Speaking of which, I'm happy that you can walk diagonally now and it's covered with animations. It doesn't just play the stupid walking-sideways or the walking-forward one while you slide around as if you were ice-skating, like it was in Oblivion. Looks proper now. He walks like a huge muscled dude though. I really hope that I'll be able to play another character! Like, say, a small but lean Bosmer, or a graceful female Altmer. I hope it won't look out-of-place when you play anything but a burly Nord. Oblivion at least had sort of ambigious animations that worked for pretty much every body type. Morrowind's animations where so s*** they didn't look like anything, so they never really looked unfitting either... In Skyrim they're good enough that their specificness could be a problem.

I also like that they have terminology for "macro details" and "micro details". Shows they're conscious about it. Oblivion had great "micro detail" but what they refer to as "macro detail" was lacking. Rolling hill after rolling hill, insanely steep shores... Skyrim's world seems to look much, much better in this regard. Also liked the mammoths who just travel around peacefully unless you mess with them.

I don't like how they mention the Radiant Story System without explaining what it is, how they don't show anything but action (no character creation, no conversations, no AI behavior) and how they keep walking real slow and turning the camera real slow so the bad framerate doesn't show through as much (e.g. during the water-in-the-cave part).

I don't know what to think of dual wielding when it comes to spells. Why is the spell stronger when I use both hands to form it? Does my magical power come from my hands? Where is the logic in that? I thought it was more of a mind thing? What if I put my sword hand close to the magic hand? Would that count? Or does the sword in it dampen my magic? Is it the metal? What about a leather shield then? Do I even want to think about this? No, I don't!
Also, if two-handed sorcery is more powerful, won't that make me put my weapon away every time before I use a spell? And won't that defeat the whole purpose of the dual wielding system?
I could see it working for restoration spells. If I heal someone with two hands it can do more than if I do it with one. Don't ask me for an in-universe explanation, but it feels right to me. What doesn't feel right to me is that my fireball would do more if I made it between two hands instead of above one.
May be a minor thing, but it still bothers me.

And about the extended one with the amazingly even more annoying twats as show-hosts:
[It's] mostly what we've seen before plus some tiny tid-bits about character customization and an inventory that looks like the one from Fable 1. I'm worried now. I don't want a Fable-style inventory, I want a Morrowind style inventory! While you're in your inventory the game is paused anyway, why can't the console people just use the control stick to push a cursor around and use it like a regular old PC-grown Morrowind inventory? Why is that it HAS to be shoehorned into something that the devs perceive works well with a controller? It doesn't work better than pushing a cursor around! It's just tailored to a controller but it makes it more cumbersome. Not just for the mouse people but ALSO for the controller people! I can't wait until that stupid trend of over-adapting is over in a couple of years.:rolleyes:
Swapping "perks" during the game just makes the thought you put into the creation of your character less valuable, imo. I don't really appreciate this as an option. I see it more like it takes away from the uniqueness of your character. Also again, only three factions (warriors, mages, thiefs... I don't know if you guys played Morrowind, but there you had those, of course, but you also had the imperial guard and a handful (!) of different political houses you could join!).

Conversations: I don't see much benefit in not pausing the world while you're talking to people. That never took me out of the game before, to be honest. I can see getting pissed though, if I'm talking to someone and some stupid mudcrab waltzes in and wants a say as well... Also again, like in Oblivion, you only have a tiny repertoire of things you can talk about with people. In Morrowind you had pages upon pages of topics of discussion. Many people would say the same thing about a topic, of course, but you could really pick someone's brain about certain issues in Morrowind whereas in Oblivion (and respectively Skyrim) you can basically only pick the next line that pertains to some "quest". Disappointing.

Just noticed something else, btw. The compass thingy at the top of the screen that shows you your objectives. It's handy, sure, but you get MUCH more of a connection with the world if that isn't there and you have to ask people where something is (and then check your journal). E.g. in Morrowind they would say "follow the river to the south until you get to the bridge, follow the way to town X until you see the big tree and then head east a bit from there. You should see the entrance to X from there already!" Landmarks get to mean something. You get to know the world. That's SO much more involving than fast-traveling to a location close to where you need to go and then chasing a stupid GPS-blip for the rest of the way.

Well, it seems like it's going to be an excellent action game. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it'll be anything resembling Morrowind...:(

Ah, I see we get to travel to Rohan as well.

Upvote 0
I doubt Bethesda will make anything like Morrowind again. They have gone way, way too mainstream in recent years.

I am not really loving the graphics either, in fact it looks just like Oblivion with slightly better textures. I guess it will run sweet on modest PC hardware but some special effort to take advantage of the power on high end equipment would be nice. Some of the textures are rubbish, the NPC near the sawmill looks like he is made of play dough. The indoor areas do look nice i'll give it that.

I know graphics are not everything but what is presented here appears to be a huge sandbox game that feels empty. What is so different about the gameplay from Oblivion? Apart from a different levelling system and combat it looks exactly the same!?

Upvote 0
I know graphics are not everything but what is presented here appears to be a huge sandbox game that feels empty. What is so different about the gameplay from Oblivion? Apart from a different levelling system and combat it looks exactly the same!?

As long as they make the game harder and remove that stupid everything is at the same level with you system I would be happy to play it. Oblivion had some great moments and really big world to explore, but because it was so easy to play you never needed/wanted to explore anywhere. If they fix those issues it's a totally different game and suddenly the big world can offer much more interesting things to do because the secrets actually feel worthy to explore.

Upvote 0