• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Elder Scrolls V

Morrowind only seemed larger because you couldn't see past 100 feet.

Spoiler!

I'd say it's about 2/3 the size of Oblivion, and that's being generous.

Upvote 0
See, that is the problem with most people these days.
It's only fun when it is being spoonfed to you. Personally, i loved getting descriptions from NPC's in Morrowind and following them up to find a place on my own, instead of being magically pointed toward them.
"oh hi there, pl0x move here for rare loot, ktxhbai"

Also, the 'you dont have to use fast-travel' is bollocks. It is there and it will be used. And because many people will fast-travel everywhere once it's possible world artists become lazy and dont pay attention to creating interesting environments.
Oblivion had a very uninteresting world.

Well first of all, I don't see why you need to judge others because they like to wander around in a video game. Its frustrating enough in real life to do that. Why would I want to in a game? Just like, I work IRL, why would I want to grind in WoW? Millions do, yes, but I don't like doing boring things in games that are boring in real life as well.

Secondly, I don't see why you are so concerned that people use fast travel. You can't enter their world, they can't enter yours. Are you saying that because the fast travel is there, that you used it, even though you think its cheap? I don't understand why the way other people play this SP only game affects your enjoyment of it. Live and let live.

Reactions: Major Liability
Upvote 0
Secondly, I don't see why you are so concerned that people use fast travel. You can't enter their world, they can't enter yours. Are you saying that because the fast travel is there, that you used it, even though you think its cheap? I don't understand why the way other people play this SP only game affects your enjoyment of it. Live and let live.

no, he is saying that:

Also, the 'you dont have to use fast-travel' is bollocks. It is there and it will be used. And because many people will fast-travel everywhere once it's possible world artists become lazy and dont pay attention to creating interesting environments.
Oblivion had a very uninteresting world.

and I agree.

I loved wandering in Morrowind, but I used fast travel in Oblivion like everyone else. Also, Morrowind had its fast travel, it was just not that fast, the strider system was a good compromise between fast travel, and none at all.

Upvote 0
My sixteen year old sister, believe it or not, explored the entire world of Oblivion and beat every quest, and there really is nothing special to the environment to encourage walking instead of fast travel. The forts and ruins are not worth exploring; they all have a similar layout and have no special artifacts unless they are part of a quest, so there's no chance that you'll happen to stumble upon some awesome treasure beforehand. Umbra can be an exception, but it's still part of a quest.

Oblivion is one of those games that is awesome when you first play it, but after you realize the world isn't as mysterious and epic as it appears to be, then it can really start to annoy you. Especially when you find out that nearly all elves in the game have the same exact voice.

Upvote 0
Yeah, on the first playthrough.
But while I played through Morrowind six or seven times and made countless different characters, I made one character in oblivion, played through it once and that's it. I reinstalled it a few times, but then I never kept interested for longer than half an hour in it, because it's just a bland game if you look beyond the graphical bling, which, btw is only good for panoramic views.

FO3 was only slightly better in that regard, and I couldn't bring myself to play through it even once.
Thus, I can't say I'm looking forward to a new TES. But then, that leaves me to be positively surprised if they finally manage to get a good game out again.

Upvote 0
100h game? Oblivion? It's more like 20h if you do all the sidequests, and 7h if you just do the story missions.
Well sorry but that's rubbish, I didn't even play the main story and got at least twice as much playtime than FO3(30h) took me, with guild, sidequests and exploring. Average time is abot 100h, do a google search if you don't believe. Plus there's the one half-assed and the real expansion / dlc.

I mean I agree that the world could feel a bit generic sometimes and that faces weren't exactly beautiful, but while of course you are entitled to your opinion you manage to sound somewhat arrogant by saying Bethesda hasn't created a 'good' game in a long time when both Oblivion & Fallout 3 received like a 100 goty awards and more importantly, certain technological problems aside, are LOVED by their communities.

There were also plenty of mods which tweaked the game further(like better bows, stupid enemy leveling removed) and the Nehrim total conversion which is superb and better than many commercial rpgs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you are entitled to your opinion you manage to sound somewhat arrogant by saying Bethesda hasn't created a 'good' game in a long time when both Oblivion & Fallout 3 received like a 100 goty awards and more importantly, certain technological problems aside, are LOVED by their communities.

Hmm might be that my memories betrayed me, but I don't remember oblivion being a long game. But then, that might be because all the generic things in it, and the grind involved to go on (like closing the gates into oblivion) just mushed up inside my brain. Still I don't think it took me longer than a week's worth of evening gaming to see all of the game.
And I still stand by my opinion that Bethesda hasn't made a good game since Morrrowind. But then, they haven't really made that great games before Morrowind either, so TES III might have been a single "spike" of quality.

And concerning the arrogance: well, I am arrogant. Also, I found out that in the last few years most games that sell exceptionally well are medicore. Just look at the CoD series, FO3, Bioshock etc. Not that these games are abysmally bad, but they surely are no where near as good as the hype made them appear.
Also, sales figures don't impress me. When I look at how CoDBlOps sold, I can't help to think of "Eat ****! Billions of Flies can't be wrong!" satirical ad.

While today's AAA titles are polished and have high production values, they simply lack the soul to keep me interested. Of course, there are exceptions, but they're few and far between, like Batman AA or GT5.

Last edited:
Reactions: SiC-Disaster
Upvote 0
Yes I imagine how other people play their SP game must have a huge impact on your experience!

It is when these 'new features' are being forced upon me and i dont have the choice to turn it all off.
Pretty much every TES fan will share my opinion that Oblivion was just an incredibly mediocre experience compared to the older games. Someone actually made an article about 20 mods that you need to make it anything like the older games. 20 mods!
Your attitude right now feels to me like "I dont care what the series' old followers have to say, is my game nao!"
That, to me, is like RO:HOS turning into a CoD-style arcade game, while all the new players tell all the players who've been here from the mod or the release of Ostfront to '**** off already'.
If you werent there before, at least show some respect to the people who did play the older games and their opinions on this game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't see what everyones problem is with Oblivion, I downloaded a savegame to skip the crappy main story and then spent like 100+ on exploring the world and doing sidequests, it was incredibly awesome.
Welcome to what everyone who bought the game did. They said **** it to the main quest, and burned 30 hours exploring the world before they hit that magically line where Bethesda filler content doesn't get any better.

Guess how FO3 got played by me?

My sixteen year old sister, believe it or not, explored the entire world of Oblivion and beat every quest, and there really is nothing special to the environment to encourage walking instead of fast travel. The forts and ruins are not worth exploring; they all have a similar layout and have no special artifacts unless they are part of a quest, so there's no chance that you'll happen to stumble upon some awesome treasure beforehand. Umbra can be an exception, but it's still part of a quest.

Oblivion is one of those games that is awesome when you first play it, but after you realize the world isn't as mysterious and epic as it appears to be, then it can really start to annoy you. Especially when you find out that nearly all elves in the game have the same exact voice.
This. This is what every Bethesda made game since Morrowind has turned out like. The visuals trick you into crawling across the world, then it doesn't deliver on it. There are no "settings" in Oblivion. There's the woods, the hills and the mountains. Those are the three terrains. Then you just liberally sprinkle either monsters, a mini-dungeon or one-shot quests into the wilderness, and huzzah! you have a Beth game.

I've probably put 200 hours into Oblivion over 5 installs, searching time and again for that magical experience that made all the walking, searching and hoping worth it. I never did. Just one sad *** fort or cavern after another. The only pure win moment I experienced in that game was the Assassin's Quest line.

And that's all the mechanical **** withstanding. Bethesda is going to have to prove they're learning anything to get my money. But they don't really have a reason to, they've been successful enough with the drivel they've done lately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, on my second install of Oblivion I played it right through. I barely did any of the side questlines though I DID close almost every door to oblivion (it's really easy if you have a fast character, just ran through those ****ty levels and grabbed the sigil stones:D).

The game has a few very big problems that have to do with story development and gameplay mechanics. What comes to mind to me immediately:

- all characters were boring
- expected oblivion planes to be epic but they were anti-climatic
- the level-up mechanics were so bad, I wonder how they got past beta-testing
- story had bad pacing
- too little variety in landscapes
- barely any good rewards for doing sidequests and dungeons

Many of these things were somewhat better in Fallout 3, hence it's a better game imo.

But it goes to show that games without free open worlds but with great story, interesting characters and good quests is overall more entertaining. E. g. Dragon Age or some Blizzard games. Now if we could have both...

Upvote 0
My only issues that ruined Oblivion for me were the following:

Level scaling. I don't think it should be -entirely- obliterated, but it shouldn't be as strong as it is in Oblivion. I don't want to see daedric armor bandits, invincible, psychic guards, or only finding high level monsters because I hit a prerequisite. Part of exploring Morrowind was knowing that it was dangerous in certain locations (especially Ruins at early levels).

Buggyness. Yes, bugs have existed in pretty much all TES games, but Oblivion does NOT handle mods all too well, even with proper installation and no known conflicts. I have less issues with Daggerfall than I do this game. It's to the point where I have to keep removing and reinstalling Oblivion and all its mods over and over before the game decides it gets to a point where it wants to just break down or not let me access certain areas.

Lack of skills. I just didn't see the reason for dumbing down the skill list. No medium armor, no short blades, etc just made for an overall limited feeling to the game.

Character generation. The loss of powers and many other minor adjustments during the character creation led to less unique characters. Despite the abuse of making overly powerful characters in Daggerfall, with a bit of limitation you could end up with a great system that allows for far more variety between characters, even if they're the same race.

Anything else was fixable via mods, or wasn't gamebreaking.

Upvote 0