• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The cover system, some simple suggestions to make it really effective

gentrinity

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
I have to say that I enjoy having a cover system, however, there are a few tweaks that I think will help it shine a bit more. There are two basic types of cover in this game, as far as I'm concerned; down-up cover and side-side cover. My terms just basically describe how you get in and out of cover. So far, down-up works very well, can't complain, however, side-side can use some work. First of all, you can't go crouch in that cover, when I think it should be possible. Sure, it might not be as comfortable in real life, but it can be done. Also, the animation shows the soldier pretty much exposing himself entirely when trying to get out of cover. I like how in down-up, it automatically adjusts to the height of the cover, but with side-side, the soldier just tends to expose his entire body. Maybe have an animation where the soldier is a bit less exposed.

The only problem i have with the cover system is that it's too "sticky" as in it wont detach without a bit of a fight.

i have 3 issues with the cover system

1. Let me detach quickly by pressing the back key (S). When i press the S key it indicates that i want to back away from cover for various reasons such as 12 guys running at me with smg's. It does NOT mean i want to do a 180 spin and turn my back to them.

2. A cover transition would be nice as well. Something like if im on one side of a door, i can click or hold or do something with the cover button, that will quickly transition me to the other side. A "swat turn" transition out of cover would be nice as well, because it would allow you to exit with momentum

3. Being able to crouch in cover is almost mandatory. For example, im taking cover behind a wall, and since the wall is about 7ft my character stays in the standing postion. Occasionally i would like to crouch but STILL stay in cover. Reasons for this include: A sniper that has a bead of where my head will be if i peak out (so crouching and peaking out will surprise him) or shooting from the crouched position to get a lower angle on the target

Upvote 0
You should take a look at the coversystem in MafiaII, that was perfectly implemented and easy to use.

mafia2_2.jpg
b71f125e-11392.jpg

Even covering behind moveable objects such as cars(should be possible in RO with tanks..) is possible

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You should take a look at the coversystem in MafiaII, that was perfectly implemented and easy to use.

Even covering behind moveable objects such as cars(should be possible in RO with tanks..) is possible

Yeah except that is a third person cover system, and therefore totally unrealistic... However they should implement taking cover behind moveable objects.

Upvote 0