• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The C word

mamoo

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
East Sussex, England
So, I was talking to a gaming community (I won't mention names), and we had conflicting viewpoints. One of said community's member referred to me using the C word. To me (A Brit) it's pretty much the most abhorrent word to use, let alone be called. Having kindly requested the members not to call me the C word, guess what? It happened again. Twice.

Anecdote aside, what's the deal with that word over in the States, and how do my fellow Britons feel about it?

A lot of the "youth" (basically anyone not senior citizens) in the US use whatever vocabulary they wish... if anything, asking the parties in question to stop using it will most likely insure that they keep using it. I don't blame you- it ain't exactly a polite word by any stretch of the mind, but to some it isn't offensive at all.

Upvote 0
Oddly, Mamoo, you say that, as a Brit, it's the most abhorrent thing to be called. I've always seen Brits and (insert interchangeable non-North-American former British colonies here) as being the ones that use it the most, and with the least impact. " 'e's a good <C>, 'e is," etc.

I'd have said that Americans and Canadians would find it much more abhorrent than Brits, had you asked me. Or at least the women do. For instance, I've got my ex-wife listed, quite deservedly, in my phone as 'The C*nt,' since (unfortunately) I can't simply pretend that she doesn't exist. My (current) wife thinks that this is an incredibly vile and awful word, with an inherent violence to it.

I get the idea that it's sort of like the N word, in its perception and usage, sort of.

Also, Marion's exactly right.

Upvote 0
Oddly, Mamoo, you say that, as a Brit, it's the most abhorrent thing to be called. I've always seen Brits and (insert interchangeable non-North-American former British colonies here) as being the ones that use it the most, and with the least impact. " 'e's a good <C>, 'e is," etc.

Mainly in London, it is used as an everyday word, but most of us fell the same way your wife seems to.

Upvote 0
I'm not English, but a 'bad' word is only offensive if... well, if someone tries to insult you. It depends on the context. If a friend jokingly calls you a silly ****, you won't mind. But if he's really angry at you and yells "YOU STUPID ****!" then yeah, that's an insult.

But 'bad' words aren't necessarily insulting or rude. It's 2010 and words like **** and **** have become completely normal and are part of many adult's daily speech. Using these words were considered rude and insulting 50 years ago, but this is no longer the case. Of course, it also depends on who you're talking to.

It's all about context.

Upvote 0
So, I was talking to a gaming community (I won't mention names), and we had conflicting viewpoints. One of said community's member referred to me using the C word. To me (A Brit) it's pretty much the most abhorrent word to use, let alone be called. Having kindly requested the members not to call me the C word, guess what? It happened again. Twice.

Anecdote aside, what's the deal with that word over in the States, and how do my fellow Britons feel about it?

Im glad you never played on our mod server....... :eek: :D.

Upvote 0
Its a pretty standard adjective where I come from.
ROFL... now why doesn't that surprise me :) ? But I'll agree (as a Brit) that, to certain Brits, it is an epithet that gets thrown around for fun amongst mates. Usually in the pub - "oi, which c*** is buying the next round?". Inherently offensive to just about any woman I've ever met, mind you. As someone said - context is everything.

Upvote 0
The C word isn't that big a deal over here I think as in Britain. Over here the F word is much more serious.

That said, amongst close friends, calling each other both is pretty normal. But the C word is rarely used, at least in my "community"... it doesn't sound nearly as cool as the F word and its derivatives. F-er, Motherf-er, F-ing-f-er etc. That's the beauty of the F word, it's probably the most versatile word in the English language.

AFAIK, the C word can't be used as an adjective, adverb, verb, command, interjection, transitively or intransitively, as well as be used in compounds (such as "F off"). Plus the F word just has that nice gutteral sound that the C word lacks. The C word sounds like sh*t to be honest.

And that is why, the F word will always be superior. You Brits need to get with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AFAIK, the C word can't be used as an adjective, adverb, verb, command, interjection, transitively or intransitively, as well as be used in compounds (such as "F off"). Plus the F word just has that nice gutteral sound that the C word lacks. The C word sounds like sh*t to be honest.

And that is why, the F word will always be superior. You Brits need to get with it.

F-yes! :D

Upvote 0