• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The best way to use the cover system is to ignore it

I wish RO2's cover system worked in fluid motion, without requiring extra buttons. Like this.
Peaking is already covered by leaning imo.
Crysis 2 - Cover system - YouTube shortly after 49s you can see a situation where the RO2 cover system would have helped. He is standing behind this chest high pillar thingy and cant see anything crouched, but is too exposed standing. In RO2 you would take cover there and then aim over it at a good height.

Upvote 0
I really like it,
and use it if needed, totally depending on the situation, but I am always aware of it
Agreed it depends wether or not the object providing cover will expose you anyway even if you enter cover mode, so many times I have been shot because the faulty cover system kept me exposed to the enemy or gave away my position that now I am more careful, but still it looks very WWII movie-like, good job!

Upvote 0
Use it regularly but not constantly.

Good for:

Looking behind you quickly (This is a great feature of it)
getting ironsights on an obstacle you couldnt do otherwise
Max cover possible when you are reloading, pausing for a breather
peeking 180 round doors (though this is currently too hard to do)
Blind nades
covering corridors

Most common mistake is using it inapropriately - ie trying to use the cover key on areas where theres not enough cover.
using it in a frantic cqc situation

Upvote 0
Using cover generally just gets you killed quicker.

As an Ostfront player I tend naturally to use just prone/crouch/lean instead of the cover function.

But i've a pair of issues with proning, in particular.
First the infamous "cannot prone here" in perfect legit places for proning, like along walls and - if i'm not perfectly centered - in trenches.
Sometimes the smallest debris is more than enough for the dreaded "cannot prone here" to happen.

TWI, make the proning less picky, please.

Second, when i'm prone and i try to move laterally, often my avatar raise himself from the ground. And since in RO2 everyone is Zaytsev, it is more than enough for getting killed.

Upvote 0
There's really very few situations where the cover system is needed and it generally just feels like it limits my movement by restricting me to a wall.

But when its needed there isn't anything else that can do the job. I mostly use it to shoot into buildings instead of out. I run up to the window and kill anyone trying to come into the room, things like that.

Upvote 0
Could someone do a screenshot comparison of what you look like peeking versus aiming?

The worst part is when you're not peeking. I get guys all the time that way. The top part of the head and helmet is still visible, so if you aim to basically scrape the bullet across the top of the cover, or you are slightly more elevated than the target, you can essentially shoot guys in impenetrable cover.

You don't have the same awareness of where your head is in the game compared to real life, so it's easy to forget that a bit is showing. Same with feet and legs.

Never use the cover mechanic where a hidden enemy can see the spot directly and shoot at it. Much better to go prone behind the cover.

Upvote 0
I wish RO2's cover system worked in fluid motion, without requiring extra buttons. Like this.

Crysis 2 - Cover system - YouTube

Peaking is already covered by leaning imo.
That's a million times better than this clunky system.

When I first started playing I used the cover system all of the time, but found I was dying all of the time.

Now, I never use the cover system and have a healthy kill sheet with a hell of a lot less deaths.

Yep, the less I use it the better I get. So yeah there are a few situations like looking out of a trench but otherwise it's best to completely avoid it. Being stuck to a wall limits your mobility far too severely - you become grenade bait and wall shooter practice (or you just get popped in the dome cuse your head is sticking out)

I liked the cover system in Deus Ex Human Revolution, even though that's a RPG, but the way they did it was super fluid - when you took cover you assumed a third person perspective, this way you weren't ever in doubt as to how well hidden you are. If you shot out of cover you still went first person for the iron sights, brilliant!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As an Ostfront player I tend naturally to use just prone/crouch/lean instead of the cover function.

But i've a pair of issues with proning, in particular.
First the infamous "cannot prone here" in perfect legit places for proning, like along walls and - if i'm not perfectly centered - in trenches.
Sometimes the smallest debris is more than enough for the dreaded "cannot prone here" to happen.

TWI, make the proning less picky, please.

Second, when i'm prone and i try to move laterally, often my avatar raise himself from the ground. And since in RO2 everyone is Zaytsev, it is more than enough for getting killed.
Totally, it's almost as if proning doesn't even exist because it's so awkward to actually use.

Upvote 0