• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The best way to use the cover system is to ignore it

Same I rarely use it only in certain spots while I see its potential most of the time I prefer too be able react quickly than to use cover.That's what gets me about people complaining about the cover system nothing says you have to use it.Its a nice option to have when cover is too high or low to get a proper rest from the stand or crouching position.

Upvote 0
I only use it with objects or walls that are too high to ironsight over while crouched or I use it when sniping from high windows, but that's about it.

-I find walking out of cover to be somewhat awkward at times (have to move out at the right angle). Not so good when there is a nade right next to you

-Cover being bound to use/bandage key causes some problems

-Blind firing is kind of gimmicky, but I guess it cant hurt to have the extra option

I actually consider the weapon stabilization feature (iron sighting on a low wall) brought over from RO1 to be a "cover" system on it's own. If there hadn't been any odd sized walls this feature would have been sufficient IMO...it's perfect.

Upvote 0
I'm using it more now just because the lean system is awkward and pisses me off.

its like your neck just slides to the side; why isnt it rolling/rotating like before?

the cover system is nice but it needs to be ironed out, 2 months more work on it and it would have been great; in fact 2 months more work on this entire game would have been great

Upvote 0
Same I rarely use it only in certain spots while I see its potential most of the time I prefer too be able react quickly than to use cover.That's what gets me about people complaining about the cover system nothing says you have to use it.Its a nice option to have when cover is too high or low to get a proper rest from the stand or crouching position.

I have to "use" it because the key for cover has a few other very common functions that accidentaly sends you in cover.

Upvote 0
I have to agree completely. I have been playing RO2 since late July, and since that time I have gone from using the system all the time, to gradually using it less and less, to the point now where I just ignore its existence altogether for the most part. This decision has lead to me performing much better in the game as well.

There are a few reasons for this:

1) the cover system is buggy and tends to glitch or not work, which gets you killed many times.

2) the cover system doesn't actually make you 100% protected all of the time, and in a game like RO2 where everyone has uber-accuracy thanks to eagle-vision on every weapon, this is asking for a quick death.

3) RO2 is very fast paced, and using the cover system simply takes too much time in the game's urban environments.

I tend to feel sorry for new players on servers who I see using the cover system as if it actually benefits them. I usually make short work of these players by rushing up on them before they can react or sniping that 2" of helmet that is exposed with my uber rifle zoom.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it was a nice idea, but I don't find myself using it at all. Blind firing seems like a waste of ammo and a gimmick, though who knows, maybe I'll find myself out in the open with one piece of cover to get behind one day.

I got a kill assist by using blind fire last night.... it was the first time I remembered I could blind fire, lol.

In regards to the cover system, it's good and bad depending on the situation, where you are and what you're using for cover.

I'm still using my old skool RO tactics of not using the cover system, but other times, it is handy to use.

If you want to pop out quickly and take someone out, the cover system is good for that.

But if you plan on holding your position for a period of time, (AT, Marksman, MG) then you're more better off pulling back away from the window or other means of cover and hang back in the dark.

An example would be Fallen Fighters. It's great trying to snipe from the many windows available, but if you use the cover system, suddenly your head pops out like a big target with a bullseye on it..... pull back away from the window and suddenly you're almost impossible to see.

Upvote 0
I have to "use" it because the key for cover has a few other very common functions that accidentaly sends you in cover.

Why I try to stay a few steps behind any kind of cover if its bandaging just hold the button and it will override the cover system.The only time it bothers me is if im trying to reload a mg guy on the run and he is near a wall.

Upvote 0
it's useful except for when it forces you to stand up.

Unfortunatly the cover system is basically gears of war but first person, and gears had some invincible angular shields when you took cover. Maybe this game does too which might be why our bullets don't always seem to count.

Upvote 0
Oh, and the cover system is great when you need to use smoke or grenades.

It's also good for quickly looking.... pop out, take a look around, let go of your key and drop back down in cover.... then blind fire or toss your grenade.... then duck back down.

Of course when I use the cover system, it's only for a few actions within a few seconds, then I relocate.... unless I know I'm in a safe area where most don't know I'm there. If I have bullets wizzing by, that's my que to gtfoutta there.

Upvote 0