• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The best way to use the cover system is to ignore it

DingDong09

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2011
Anyone else notice this? I only used it for the first hour or two, after which I quickly even forgot it exists. There's really very few situations where the cover system is needed and it generally just feels like it limits my movement by restricting me to a wall. The cover system would always either expose me to fire or make the enemy predict where I was after id stick out and shoot. Without the cover system make the shot and then move away from my position near the window/doorway in an unpredictable manner. With cover they know exactly where I will be after I move out of the frame. That and it's generally just not a good idea to be hugging right up against the window sill/sandbag/doorway etc - in general its better to keep some distance between you and your cover and limit your LOS. Using cover generally just gets you killed quicker.

I always use it...but boy the amount of times I've fumbled with it trying to get out of cover to move in a tricky situation!! I do agree that they can wait and with pin point accuracy hit you as you pop out to look over or to the side...so it can be a big disadvantage at times...trouble is the lcak of possible body movements in FPS games...some times you want to peep throug a bit a fence etc but you can't as you can get the right eye level.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never use it if I do, its because im taking heavy fire and cant prone or something. Cover system isn't really what I was expecting, its not really good nor bad.. But not being able to crouch in cover is dumb, and your gun sticks from your cover if leaning against a wall and peeking corner...

Lean + crouch = best cover system.

Upvote 0
Bought the game today, and just finished my 1st mp match, on a full TWB server.
Must admit I mostly moved around like I used to do in RO1...hardly engaged the cover system at all.
What I do love, is the new mantle-option, gets me holding mantle-key just like when playing Brink, very fluid gameplay.

But I guess the cover-system is great for when you're pinned down.

Upvote 0
People who take cover often give themselves away cuse I see them through the wall either by glitching (surprise surprise) or just seeing their gun. 1 second later they just ate a 7.62x54. I do the same if I see someone take cover behind a door frame because I know instantly exactly where their body is situated. They really just become easy targets either for wall shooting or for grenades.

Upvote 0
Actually what would be a nice feature is if there was an option to just disable the cover system altogether or rebind it to another key so I can pick up guns and resupply gunners without the extra trouble. Also it'd be nice if leaning was more like in RO1 where just your upper-body leans so it's much quicker and you don't have to expose yourself completely to "lean" (what's the point if you're effectively just stepping out of cover?)

Upvote 0
Only time I use it is when I'm in a trench.

The fact that you need to press extra button and how it snaps you into a position really kills it. Should be lot more fluid for it to be functional.

Edit: I hate to mention this but Crysis 2's singleplayer has way better first person cover system imo. No extra button, and it's very fluid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Typewriter
Upvote 0
I think you guys should just consider the fact that it's all situational. There's obviously a time where you should be by cover and a time where you shouldn't. That said, I can't believe there's so many people badmouthing the cover system, it's fine IMO, even shows you how well covered you are. And there's nothing like delivering a blindfire grenade out of cover, something I've begged for in videogames for a very long time.

Upvote 0
This same topic was made before except the OP in that one knew there was at least one benefit to it. An that is that in many places if you just crouch an use ironsights you wont be at the right height to see over the wall. But if you take cover the game adjusts you to the correct height allowing you to peek over an fire from it.

But yes aside from that I found that you don't have to use the cover system to get the gun stabilization bonus. Just have to be close enough to make the bipod icon appear on your hud. Cause of that I don't use it most of the time.

Upvote 0
Wierd, i find myself useing it alot with much success tbh.
Slapping my *** to cover and taking quick shots over walls are great, blindfiereing around corners in trenches (pavlows house) does wonders when you know russians are waiting. Lobbing a granade around without exposeing your self.
At spartanovka, its a must if you want to survive tbh, quick shots around corners etc. =S

Upvote 0