• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Bayonet & Melee attacks.

The Bayonet & Melee attacks.

• I like Neither of the proposed solutions/ or / the bayonet & melee do enough damage as is.

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • I like the stun idea.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I like the death idea. <(putz will vote for this 1)

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • I like both the stun and death solutions.

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters

Colt .45 killer

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
well firstly let me say, i really like the recent melee fixes we have be graced with in the recent patch. however i beleive there are still a few final touches remaining before the melee system is as good as it will get.

The Problem
The problem is that it takes two htis or stabs to kill someone, this gives the person time to react, and often shoot back. this is a problem because, if you were still in fighting condition after being stabbed, you wouldent be able to just turn and shoot like you were A-ok. below are two suggested fixes of mine to this problem.

STUN
its something that currently only exists for getting shot in the leg. i would suggest performing this by when you get stabbed by performing the exact same slowing of movement and loss of stamina but ALSO running a function that slows your mouse.

basically : multiply the mouse sensitivity by a .x value, in a loop, the x slowly increases back to 1, when you are stabbed x starts at 0.
at T+0 your mouse sensitivity is: sensitivity * .01 = practicaly zero
T+.5 : sensitivity *.1 (ETC)

in the above suggested stun idea, it would take you 10 seconds to fully recover from being stabbed (all mouse sensitivity and movement would be returned to normal in that time).

DEATH
simple, you got stabbed, you died. much easier to implement.
(bayonet would have same characteristics as a rifle bullet, torso and head = kill, legs = stun)
this idea does not fix the problem of bash however, bash should have a stun of its own, but should be recovered from faster then a stab, perhaps with a total recovery time set to 3-5 seconds.

please vote in the poll on your opionion.:D

EDIT:
Both option:
compiling both of these together means getting stunned by the bash and death from the bayonet except on leg hits.

that has to do with the so called " charged hit", if you quick stab, or only hold the bayonet for a moment, it will half kill. if you hold the bayonet for 5 or more seconds it 'gains power' and will then 1 hit kill anywhere(hooey!).

because death in RO is considered " combat innefective" i believe the bayonet should be 1 hit kill even with a quick stab, or atleast should stun then enemy. as it is far to easy to stab once and while going to stab again, be shot.

Upvote 0
ummm there is, if you hold your bayonet it may do more damage then if you just tap it. I hit in the upper torso head shoulder, back will cause a kill, but that is if you held down the attack, a light jab may result in another attack needed. Learn the bayonet and you will get those kills, sometimes you may have to stab someone 4 times which is a freak experience but thats life.

Upvote 0
this idea does not fix the problem of bash however, bash should have a stun of its own, but should be recovered from faster then a stab, perhaps with a total recovery time set to 3-5 seconds.
I think that if possible, the duration of the stun effects of being bashed should depend on the strength of the hit and where you are hit. I imagine being bashed hard full on in the face would stun you much longer than being prodded in the back of the leg.

Upvote 0
I don't know what they did with the new system, but I am finding it much harder to hit someone moving from side to side. Eg. they try to sidestep me and where I'd normally adjust and hit them pre-patch now I adjust and the animation looks like it should hit home but it doesn't. It also feels like the stabbing range has been shortened too.

Upvote 0
I think the current system is sufficient. Melee combat isn't really what this game is about. And quite frankly, most of the time I'm stabbed by a bayo, I die.

The current system is balanced enough for my tastes.

As far as "combat effectiveness," that argument doesn't hold water. Unless you want ANY shot from ANY weapon that inflicts ANY damage from taking you "out of the fight."

RO's melee combat system just takes practice to get good at. Just like the rest of the game...

Upvote 0
I don't know what they did with the new system, but I am finding it much harder to hit someone moving from side to side. Eg. they try to sidestep me and where I'd normally adjust and hit them pre-patch now I adjust and the animation looks like it should hit home but it doesn't. It also feels like the stabbing range has been shortened too.

Noticed that too. My guess is that the higher pings on the bigger 32+ servers. Have you tried on lesser servers?

Upvote 0