• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

dogbadger

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 19, 2006
here to kill your monster
picked up this game as a right bargin (thankfully, as it doesnt run very well on my pc as suspected)

my version is 1.04 out the box- i see most servers now on 1.14

in looking up patches it seems i need to get 1.05 patch (466mb)
then 1.05- 1.08 (578mb)
and finally a 'mere' 141mb to get me to 1.14
Is a single patch available?

any other recommendations for game additions? (though i'm after stuff thats widely played tbh, at least while im getting into the game)

SiC-Disaster

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
If you have Queen's Gambit installed, you'll be on 1.08, then you only need the 1.14 patch.

If you dont have QG, i think there should be a single patch somewhere to go from 1.04 to 1.08, then from that to 1.14.
That's what i can remember though, but maybe there is no such patch, i'm not sure.

dogbadger

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 19, 2006
here to kill your monster
If you have Queen's Gambit installed, you'll be on 1.08, then you only need the 1.14 patch.

If you dont have QG, i think there should be a single patch somewhere to go from 1.04 to 1.08, then from that to 1.14.
That's what i can remember though, but maybe there is no such patch, i'm not sure.
Thanks - i finally got it to 1.04 step by step - it took ages. It seems the performance is much smoother after patching

Have to say I absolutely love it so far - obviously it's quite like OFP (particularly with my graphics settings!) but without the arseache organising/finding multiplayer games.
It's pretty much my favourite type of shooter, and the best excuse for a pc upgrade i've had for a long time.

DraKon2k

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Hmm interesting trailer..

Pros:
-Awesome looking vegetation/forests
-Even better 3rd person animations

Cons:
-FFS looks like they still dont have any real 1st person animations
-Gore still looks bad as if they copied it directly from ArmA. They should take an example of CoD:WaW. I bet they still have players flying 2km through the air when being hit by a tank round(while not moving at all)

Britney Federline

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
I think it looks more promising than I expected. I still expect it to feel vaguely disappointing/hollow. The basic premise sounds like Queen's Gambit in a different terrain--a small special ops team saves an entire country?

Rak

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 23, 2005
D
Seems more like ArmA 1.5 to me.

Also: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=310113

One of the unlikeliest new features in the upcoming ArmA sequel is that traditional crutch of the namby-pamby FPS, first aid. No longer is a bullet in the guts a one-way ticket to Golgotha. No longer do wounded soldiers have to crawl about the countryside like pythons that have eaten one too many pygmy hippos at an all-you-can-eat jungle buffet. Players can now carry or drag injured comrades to safety before reviving them with life-saving medk... err, 'wound dressings'.
Ho ho ho ho. The only thing that interests me in ArmA 2 is the so called "Micro AI". Otherwise, I'm looking forward for OFP2 atm.

SgtH3nry3

FNG / Fresh Meat
Hmm interesting trailer..

Pros:
-Awesome looking vegetation/forests
-Even better 3rd person animations

Cons:
-FFS looks like they still dont have any real 1st person animations
-Gore still looks bad as if they copied it directly from ArmA. They should take an example of CoD:WaW. I bet they still have players flying 2km through the air when being hit by a tank round(while not moving at all)
With all that technology and processing power of today I still don't understand why they haven't combined the seperate 1st person and 3rd person rendering yet in 1st person view.
Something along the lines of Mirror's Edge.

I mean, c'mon how awesome would that be? It would also decrease developing time aswell as make it visually look better.

Last edited:

Bluehawk

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 13, 2006
Hamilton, ON
The gore should just be a simple decal system, like bullet holes in walls only.. on models. Tons of games do it, but OFP decided to use limb-specific damage skins because it saves having to keep track of dozens of decals and crap.

LOD could probably solve that problem. Damage skins at a distance, decals up close, no big deal.

DraKon2k

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Vienna, Austria
[URL=http://www.pcgames.de/?menu=browser&mode=fullscreen&pic=/screenshots/original/2008/11/arma2.jpg&name=ArmA 2: Neue Screenshots zur Milit

Last edited:

Uurastaja

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 20, 2008
Finntart
Looks great, but I hope BIA really manages to create a better AI in ArmAII. The slooooow proning and lock-ons from miles away in ArmA is just lame.

Kenza

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Sweden
The AI seams to be the thing they have worked the most on, so im not really worried about that. What I am worred about tho is that we probably are gonna get the same level of realism that was in OFP (with some minor improvements), like no thermals or IR, tab-fire-tab-fire-tab-fire gunnery and gay radar. "The Ultimate Military Simulation", right...

Last edited: