• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

Two hints for that convoy mission.

First, on the initial map screen, one of the options (Group I think) lets you see all the players in the level. In this case it's just you. Click your name and you can change your starting loadout. You can do the mission if you do this.

Second, the pickup you get at the start is loaded with explosives. Just press the "gear" key when you're in the truck, or run round to the back of it. I didn't know about this when I did the mission, but it turns out that it's loaded with mines and satchels. Makes the mission an absolute cinch.

Apart from that, keep hidden as much as possible. If one AI spots you or they hear you fire, ALL will know exactly where you are and will open up on you with frustratingly accurate fire regardless of range. You won't live long if that happens.

Upvote 0
Two hints for that convoy mission.

First, on the initial map screen, one of the options (Group I think) lets you see all the players in the level. In this case it's just you. Click your name and you can change your starting loadout. You can do the mission if you do this.

Second, the pickup you get at the start is loaded with explosives. Just press the "gear" key when you're in the truck, or run round to the back of it. I didn't know about this when I did the mission, but it turns out that it's loaded with mines and satchels. Makes the mission an absolute cinch.

Apart from that, keep hidden as much as possible. If one AI spots you or they hear you fire, ALL will know exactly where you are and will open up on you with frustratingly accurate fire regardless of range. You won't live long if that happens.

That worked perfectly! Using the waypoint marker as a guideline I set mines about 75ft in front of it and placed satchels about 75ft apart down the road.

I waited till the front tank sped by and hit the mines before I detonated the satchels. At that point all of the troop trucks were blown up and there was only 1 tank and a couple cargo trucks left. It got a little close when I went to take out and tank and missed the shot. It turned twords me as I franticly reloaded and even managed to get off a few bursts of machine gun fire my way before I hit it and it blew up. The other 2 trucks were easy to take out and I drove my pickup to the extraction point and waited for the chopper.

Upvote 0
Shading power? As in the shading setting? I have that set to low since lowest looks like crap and anything above lags.

No... I said that my Geforce 7950 GX2 lacks shading power. It can zoom through any game that doesn't use that much shaders, but when there are lots of shaders (like Bioshock and ArmA) it slows down a lot.

Upvote 0
Uninstalled - after problems with updates

Uninstalled - after problems with updates

I gave up:( After two unsuccessful updates, I uninstalled Armed Assault. How tests and provides the package management for AA? AA is full of bugs, still. I do not recommend it.

That game needs also a really fast graphics card. Red Orchestra is much better and resource-friendly.

Upvote 0
I have armed assault and hate it. Are there any mods that possibly improve the gameplay and performance?

You could try looking around www.armedassault.info

Though i like OFP better, due to atmospherics and more open-spaced battles over 300 meters (instead of ArmA's big cities wich i hate and so do the bots cause they continually get themselves killed for it), I cant say i have much problems with ArmA.
Didnt notice any bugs, and performance is overall good, allthough dense forests can give problems. I was told that this was due to shadow overdraws or something, but apparently its not getting fixed :(
I love playing it with Nimsky though, it gives many possibilities for great co-op, en multiplayer can come as very convincing (when your not on a 'fanmade map' that is, wich usually consists of a sandbox with buildings slapped together to create artificial routes :confused:)

Upvote 0
It runs horribly compared to most of my games. My biggest gripes with Arma is that the single player is awful, it's just really crappy map design. The AI isn't very smart, tank turrets are uber, Your squadmates sound like freakin robots on the radio. And worst of all is the movement! It feels all sluggish. Like when you take out an RPG it takes forever to draw it or holster it. The whole interface and controls are poop. This game is just slapped together.

Upvote 0
Ermac, keep in mind this is just barely a game, it's more a soldier sim. I'm sure the amount of time it takes to shoulder an RPG is realistic. It's not COD4. Movement in Arma is extremely awesome. I love how your weapon will never clip through a wall because it's an actual part of your player model. Having a short barreled weapon like an mp5 is has an actual advantage because of its length when passing through doors and archways. The only thing I hate is not being able to switch weapons while walking, that seems a little off.

One thing you should so is set the freelook window pretty close to zero. Some freelook is nice because you can lower your weapon while in iron sights to get a better picture of your surroundings.

I recently picked up an 8800gt. Wow. What a world of difference. I can max every setting and still get silky smooth framerates.

In a lot of ways the Arma engine (Real Virtuality) surpasses Cryengine 2.

I can't wait for Arma 2, it's one of my 2008 must-buys.

Upvote 0
Movement feels great to me.
Taking out the rpg isnt all that long either, i mean come on, in real life its strapped to your back right? gotta undo the strap, get it over your head, hold it up on your shoulder, and then aim. IMO ArmA gets it right in the time it takes.
Crappy movement? Not at all. It's smoother then OFP, especially free-looking. Yes, it takes some getting used to, but once you have most people love it.
I love the handling on characters etc :)
Shooting the weapons took me longer getting used to, but now i dont have any trouble aiming and firing at all.

And like Soviet said:
This is more of a sim then a game. It's designed that way. Every time i play i get impressed about something, the amount of things they handle in the game is unbelievable.
Be it noticing butterflies react to other npc's, coming near when there isnt much going on, to flying away when a firefight starts, to notice them having their own shadows, or watching the bloom around a helicopter for the first time it flies 'in' the sun wich looked totally realistic imo.
Or knowing that you can read the stars and use the constellations to find your way. The island being big enough that when you put out mission-markers you actually have to read your map to find your objective.
The sonic bulletcracks, churchtowers ringing every hour, there is so much this game does, it's not more then logical for it to have at least some bugs, and though i havent noticed them at all, or just accepted them as being part of the engine (for example, clunky ladderclimbing) i cant say these are gameplay breaking.

Granted, the AI is pretty weak. However, it shines out more in ArmA then in OFP cause most of the missions in ArmA are CQC instead of the open-spaced battles they were originally designed for.
When your in a huge battle over 300 meters, you will notice them doing some smart things on a larger scale, as groups and not individuals.
For example, i did a snipermission in the campaign where you had to kill a general in a hotel. I scout out the camp, watch the jeep with general coming in from a distance, and in the end i notice him getting up the balcony.
I aim, shoot, try to kill the stationary mg's for the next 2 seconds, then i get up and run away over the hill.
So far so good, i know the people in the valley are scrambling to get up top of the mountain, but they are of little concern.
Then however, i got stuck in place by a patrol who came after the shooting as well, and they came from the valley i just ran into. I ran to some bushes, tried to hide in them, watching the patrol running closer, followed by a jeep with MG.
The jeep goes in front zigzagging, and being the greatest threat to me (so i obviously focus on killing it) the rest of the inf is getting closer.
They had me in a firefight over 15 minutes, then when i turned around, the soldiers from the base arrived at the scene and flanked me, so now i had enemies from 2 directions.
It became a game of taking the sniper rifle, shoot soldiers in the valley, turn around and grab my pistol, killing the soldiers coming through the bushes, turning around and taking my sniperrifle and kill the other advancing soldiers in the valley, it was pure chaos.
And knowing you die with one shot, it's immensely satisfying.

Upvote 0
ArmA has its moments (btw played that mission yesterday SIC ;) )

The game has some flaws but you can live with them if you want. I started playing the campaign again yesterday. The patch balanced things out imo.

I played the mission where you have to take at 5 enemy camps and you have got two HUMVEEs and seven men under your command. The first two times I tried a direct attack and failed really hard. So I silently attacked and used farm as cover the counter attack was stopped by my troops. I advanced slowly and my team took out some guys I didn't see. I stole some binoculars (I always get one of these they are vital!). And headed for the seconed camp on the way I roughed up a patrol (I scouted and my team advanvced later to support me).
In the second camp I lost my first teammember he was stuck between two tents, I later freeed him by destroying the tent with a captured truck. I was wounded but my medic healed me (I was wounded a second time later and also my medic but he patched both of us up, I never knew that medics can heal themselves but it was apreciated). I found a camp of the US army with guns and ammo for me so I took a scoped M4 to cope better with the distances. The third camp had an AT gun wich was very dangerous I had to take out the gunner first and could then brake the resistance of the camp with the help of my team wich prevented me from being flanked.
To destroy the fourth camp I manned the gun and aimed for the camp it was in the distances but in range of the AT cannon it took me one shoot and 10 enemies died :)
The last camp was in a canyon I enagaged from behind (it included a really long walk) but I gained a 800 meter two shot kill (the first shot missed). This camp was destroyed pretty soon.
All I had to do now was return to my base. I stole a truck for that from one of the camps and picked up the guy I left behind.
Noone of my team was killed but we killed 50 to 100 enemies. It was pure awesomeness which took me one and a half hour.
But I have to admit the mission desgin is a bit unlogical (who would built camps in the open desert?)

Upvote 0