• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

Armed Assault 2

Armed Assault 2

Today at Games Convention in Leipzig, Bohemia Interactive announced ArmA 2, its latest military simulation game for PC DVD-ROM and next generation consoles (originally known also as Game 2).

ArmA 2 is set in the near future, year 2009, in a fictional post soviet country called Chernarus. Players will be sent as members of a United States Marine Corps Force Recon squad to this country to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability there.

Arma 2 is based on the latest generation technology, offering large –scale game world, authentic and extremely detailed modern units, weapons, vehicles and enviroments, challenging single player and vast array of multiplayer options.

ArmA 2 is expected to be released in 2008. Full game website will be available soon at www.arma2.com.

I really hope it's new engine. :)

Upvote 0
I really hope it's new engine. :)

Check www.armedassault.info , it has the newspost as well, together with screenshots.
To me though, it looks like ArmA's engine enhanced just a bit further. You can see they use the same 'burning vehicle' effect, fire and smoke looks exactly the same as in ArmA.
It does look better and more natural though.

Edit: ill show 2 screenies here:

news_ArmA2_1.jpg

news_ArmA2_5.jpg

and just sneak in a third one, lol
news_ArmA2_3.jpg

I think Game2 was supposed to be a dynamic campaign, with 2 AI generals battling over the island with the player being in one of the platoons just getting orders etc, right?
There would be a main campaign, and along the campaign AI would do random stuff, so you could get random missions etc as well as the main missions to further the campaign... and talk to civilians to ask if theyve seen enemy soldiers etc, they said that a whole while back.
Even said they had allready planned that for OFP, but couldnt properly implement it so it would wait for game2, and ArmA would just be a game to satisfy gamer's till the 'next great game' came out.

Upvote 0
So they finally named it. Frankly I was hoping for something a little more creative, but I guess they've got their brand now and don't want to change it again. Bad public reception of ArmA might hurt them though.

It looks like they've ditched their earlier work on Game 2. Those screenshots look like they're regular ArmA with more shadows. I know that ArmA looked like OFP in its initial screenshots, but I can't help feeling that the inherent problems with OFP/ArmA are going to come round yet again thanks to the engine. They really need to perform a major overhaul on some of their systems if they want this to compete with Codemasters' as-yet-unproven OFP2.

Here's hoping.

Upvote 0
Aside from bugs the engine did NOT run like horse****. Actually the Arma engine is spectacular on a 7600gt with ridiculous draw distances and amazing character and vehicle models. Buggy? Yes. Buggy as hell? Yes. But what Arma is firing on all cylinders there really is nothing that comes close to touching it for a multiplayer co-op experience.

Get rid of Securom, vastly improve the AI and you have a winner.

Upvote 0
Aside from bugs the engine did NOT run like horse****. Actually the Arma engine is spectacular on a 7600gt with ridiculous draw distances and amazing character and vehicle models. Buggy? Yes. Buggy as hell? Yes. But what Arma is firing on all cylinders there really is nothing that comes close to touching it for a multiplayer co-op experience.
In fact, it runs very poorly and I have a 7600GT, and 3.4ghz Dual-Core, 2gb of RAM. I've tweaked it so the game runs on average of about 45-60fps, but there's a multitude of people who can barely run it at all. It's NOT that advanced of an engine.

The problem, as has been identified by BIS is the shading applied to foliage and overdraw, that being the engine is trying to render too much stuff at once, most of it so far out of range it doesn't need to, that you get terrible FPS.

These two things are supposedly being addressed in an upcoming patch. Personally, I'd just be pleased if they released the f*cking editor tools so we can have some good addons. There's barely anything out there right now in comparison of what was out by this time after they released Operation Flashpoint. All that you can get right now are reskins and ports from OFP mods.

Upvote 0
In fact, it runs very poorly and I have a 7600GT, and 3.4ghz Dual-Core, 2gb of RAM. I've tweaked it so the game runs on average of about 45-60fps, but there's a multitude of people who can barely run it at all. It's NOT that advanced of an engine.

The problem, as has been identified by BIS is the shading applied to foliage and overdraw, that being the engine is trying to render too much stuff at once, most of it so far out of range it doesn't need to, that you get terrible FPS.

These two things are supposedly being addressed in an upcoming patch. Personally, I'd just be pleased if they released the f*cking editor tools so we can have some good addons. There's barely anything out there right now in comparison of what was out by this time after they released Operation Flashpoint. All that you can get right now are reskins and ports from OFP mods.

Agreed. Instead of working on the upcoming expansion pack, they should put all their efforts into trying to get the engine to work decently. I run everything the lowest of low and still i get only 30 fps or something, and it looks worse than OFP with a nice mod.

It's still a fun game, especially coop, but still...

Upvote 0
I don't recall seeing anywhere that the fix was going into a patch. I've seen the phrase "for use in future products" but nothing about the current ones. Sure, it would be the sensible thing to do to fix the issue in the current engine, but until I see an official statement saying it's going into an ArmA patch, then I won't be holding my breath.

Upvote 0
So, does anybody know how to blow up that damn bridge in one of the campaign missions?
I've tried placing explosives on different spots but nothing worked to bring it down, so now i cant advance with the campaign :(
Yes, I feel your frustration because it rarely worked for me, either.

Try placing them right in the middle of the bridge, and place the satchels in a line across the bridge.

Upvote 0
I chucked all five under the nearest part of the bridge. Might seem like overkill, but I wanted to be sure.

To be honest though, that mission's more likely to fail because the AI crashes than because the bridge won't blow. Problem I kept having was the AI would crash one of the tanks and cause a roadblock. The BMPs would go amphibious to get across, but the tanks would just mill about hopelessly and I had to keep restarting until they finally got their act together. Similar things happened on more than just that mission too.

Upvote 0