• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

I have a simple question: Would an 8800gts 640mb be sufficient for running the game at decent (Medium texture, no AA or AF) settings at 1680*1050?
ArmA is a complicated beast in terms of performance, noone seems to be able to get it to work 100%. It also suffers from real issues with the 8xxx series in general.

Some of the issues with 8xxx cards specifically;

- LOD issues, objects and textures don't scale to detail as you get closer to them, so you end up with soldiers standing around you made of leggo.

- Over saturation of visuals, like picture a TV with the contrast turned up ridiculously high.

- Thick white fog rim which seems to sit at a set distance no matter what you put your view distance on.

- Shadows only rendering when you are extremely close to objects and also occasionally rendering as solid cube shapes.

- Crash to desktop with a certain error code.

- Questionable performance.

In short I'd say if you were looking for a graphics card to run ArmA well pick up a 7xxx series card, like a 7950GT. As even the developers have said that ArmA doesn't work well with the 8xxx series. Also from what I have seen on the forums people with high end 7xxx cards seem to have the best performance.

Personally I've got an 8800GTS 320 and it is a great card which runs all my games beautifully. However I get a lot of the problems fellow 8xxx users experience in ArmA at random, that is except for the over saturation and crash. Like I get LOD scaling problems, I have the fog and I randomly see shadows rendered as cubes. I also find my NVG's flicker and stop working at random, which means night missions are basically not happening for me at present.

I can live with it but hey if you want it to work as close to flawlessly as possible look at a 7xxx series card.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can has ArmAs

It runs great with my nvidia 7900GT--I play at 1280x1024, and can play with everything on High if I want to. My processor is a dual 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo.

I've played Evo mostly (I've only had the game 4 days), and when the comments are all very silly, it's fun. I took a nice bus ride with a guy giving us tour guide speeches at sundown, until he wrecked the bus, but then he got a repair truck to fix it, then he drove right past some fresh flaming wreckage into a BDRM. Oops.

I tried the convoy single player mission and have totally died each time, but in different ways, so I'm not about to throw my keyboard at the screen. Yet.

Upvote 0
Murphy said:
Did he touch you? Show it to me on that puppet.:eek:
Rofl!

I have to say, damn Australia Post. I've been waiting a week for my copy of ArmA to make a journey that takes mere hours for a person. Their bloody online tracker, true to form, still says it's in QLD, but it hasn't been updated since Tuesday. It's now Friday, so go figure. Guaranteed it won't update again until after it's been delivered.

Upvote 0
Rofl!

I have to say, damn Australia Post. I've been waiting a week for my copy of ArmA to make a journey that takes mere hours for a person. Their bloody online tracker, true to form, still says it's in QLD, but it hasn't been updated since Tuesday. It's now Friday, so go figure. Guaranteed it won't update again until after it's been delivered.
Yeah well that's what you get for being one of the mongoloids that live in Tasmania mate :p **** I didn't even know they had roads or postal delivery down there :eek:

Upvote 0
I can has ArmAs

It runs great with my nvidia 7900GT--I play at 1280x1024, and can play with everything on High if I want to. My processor is a dual 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo.
Yeap that's about right, see I have the same processor and I cannot run it on all high settings without experienceing extreme fps drop when looking at certain bushes and such.

I get massive mouse lag as well, but apparently that can be fixed by playing with your render frames ahead setting but I don't want to touch my core graphic card settings.

Upvote 0
Are there any simple (as in a ten year old could follow the instructions) tutorials for the ArmA editor out there? I really like the idea of making my own missions, but as of now the only thing I'm good at is making large amounts of men/vehicles fight each other head on.

I'd really like to be able to have a helicopter pick up my men, drop us off somewhere and fly off. I can make them give us a ride, but after that he hovers right above the team...not too good for a mission that I want to be at least somewhat stealthy in.

Upvote 0