• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The ArmA 2 thread (hurr hurr, no Armed Assault 2)

SecuROM and its intrusion into your system is enough don't you think?

ARMA 2 enters at No.1 into the German Sales Charts:
1.ArmA 2
2.WoW Lich King
3.Landwirtschafts-Simulator 2009 (no joke)
4.FIFA 09
5.World of WarCraft
6.Sims 2
7.WoW Burning Crusade
8.CS:Source
9.Empire: Total War
10.Fallout 3

If this were Sims 3, Call of Duty or OFP 2 then the question of DRM would have been used as a tool to further assasinate these titles. Especially round here as us lot are quite vocal when it comes to our games.

Could it be that this is Arma 2 that no one has said anything?

This needs to be addressed. As far as i am concerned; this could be the holy grail of gaming, but if it uses anything nasty it will not be installed on my machine.

Upvote 0
I have to be honest, I have only a vague idea what FADE does, but I think it blocks two people using the same cd key entering multiplayer games. So if you thought you could play a two player LAN coop using the same cd... byebye.

SecuROM is just, well, the devil. It is intrudes heavily into your system, does all kinds of stuff you don't want and can't be uninstalled properly in many if not all cases:

http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=104
http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=11

Upvote 0
Yep, what Tomcat says.
It can make your game rather unplayable because bullets are going everywhere they arent supposed to, performance may even drop too i think etc. It generally messes with your gameplay.
This is all caused by running wrong .exes and other stuff that overwrites original data content (i believe).
There was even mentioning of English language patch users also triggering FADE, though this seems to be unnerved and proved wrong.
Still, modfolders are your friends, because most importantly, pbo's in modfolders dont overwrite anything of the original files.
For example myself i have placed the language files in a modfolder and run that folder with the -mod=@English command in my shortcut.

Upvote 0
Wow, that is messed up. I remember having similar problems with Drakensang, a German RPG: It too thought I had a pirated copy, probably because of my very old udma dvd drive and it made some quest incompletable, e.g. doors won't open etc.
Unawate, I spent a few hours searching for the right way to solve the quests until I became so frustrated I searched the internet: Turns out it was copy protection and many fellow gamers experienced the same. A patch later solved the problem for me.

What's the point of these deteriorating copy protections, sure you will annoy the "pirates" a lot. But do you think annoyed people will dump a pirated copy and buy the original. No, they will just dump it. Period. And you have a certain percentage of real customers annoyed aswell.

Upvote 0