• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The ArmA 2 thread (hurr hurr, no Armed Assault 2)

Short summary of the Gamestar review so far:

"The game fascinates and irritates at the same time.":

General:
-grass distance can be adjusted and has a big impact on the difficulty of the game (i wonder how they solved that problem in multiplayer?)
-AI is not affected by foliage: the prettier the game the harder it get
-the game is not very user friendly: tutorial is too short (and shows you the wrong keys), manual leaves a lot of questions, controls are overly complicated
-AI sucks just like in ArmA: You prey on a guy, shoot him and he drops: the guy next to him doesn't care for one bit. Then the guy you just shot (and hit) turns around kills you right away as if he had been the one sniping you. AI is very inconsistent overall and not very believable (Ka-52s crashing into terrain for no reason etc...)
-graphics can look awe-inspiring [still no proper reloading animations though, instead of one generic "animation" as in ArmA I you have one for each class]
-great atmosphere

On single player missions:
-basically unplayable due to erratic AI behaviour and AI bugs (support helis don't attack etc., the same problems as ArmA)
-hardcore gamers have no chance of ever reacting accordingly to orders ("2 move to .. that building"). For enemy positions the old "clock" approximations (e.g. "enemy 5 o clock, 300 metres") have been partially replaced with vague "left flank, far" ones, which seems like a bad idea to add some variation. The compass is now gone (is this really true?).
-AI sees even through buildings, sees too well at night, hears too much, identifies enemies from too far away
-communication and order system is overall worse than in ArmA I (!)
-tags for enemies and friendlies (can be enabled) could be brighter; annoyingly tags for animals (why at all) look about the same as those for running enemies

But: "Bug situation is overall not as severe as with the initial ArmA I release, which is nothing to be proud of."
User Rating atm: 67%
---
Bottom line: Game has a lot of potential but cannot be reviewed fairly. Not even so much because of the bugs. but because of the not-working squad system: BIS once again drops an unfinished game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After playing a few hours I know I need a new graphics card (have 8600 GT atm). I can run the game on medium with a playable frame rate but it is not really fun imo.

I can't confirm a buggy AI didn't see much difference from the ArmA 1 AI.

Mission design (played the Feuertaufe mission) is pretty annoying (like it was in OFP and ArmA :rolleyes:). You land with your guys at the coast and have to capture a village then the AI counter attacks with a BRDM to make it more interesting your team has no anti tank weapons so they call a Cobra but the CObra gets shot down by the AA truck which is located on the near by hill. I was unlucky and the BRDM was still there, destroyed it and the 50 (exaggerated) men that came as support. The really annoying thing here was that you have to kill the last bastard until the next waypoint is activated and you can go on because of this I didn't finish the mission yet.

Compass is still there. The game isn't more complex than ArmA of OFP except that you know need two keys to crouch and stand up again :confused: And I couldn't behind crouch to left ctrl because some other option which I couldn't find was already bind to that key.

No crashes or technical difficulties so far.

Sounds are really awesome it is really scary if they shoot at you even if the miss and I also like the Doppler effect of planes flying over your head :)

A few things need to be fixed or improved but still a grat game

Upvote 0
Just played it at a friends house for maybe half an hour singleplayer: To me it's exactly like a prettier version of ArmA: all the drawbacks are still there, including clunky movement system, AI and gameplay bugs.

Maybe it wasn't long enough to notice all the subtle changes, but it didn't feel exactly like an impressive step forward from part I. The game looks and feels great (apart from the movement) as long as nothing is happening on screen. Once the action begins it loses credibility fast, like squadmates running into open streets or simply not opening fire on an enemy no more than a 100 metres away.

Upvote 0
No need, drak. If it's anything like ArmA 1, you'll get the patch for the german version to bring it up to the UK version at the day of it's release, if not a tad earlier.
The on,y benefit from buying the UK version would be the cheap pound, but that should be equalized by the additional shipping costs.
no shipping costs from play.com :D

btw user rating @gamestar is currently 61%, just because someone was noticing 74% earlier. Imo the (2nd part of the) gamestar test diary sounds very honest. You can feel they wanna give the game a good score but the game won't let them (yet). The thing they criticized most so far was the completely useless communication system, because unlike in ArmA1 your teammates don't report enemies with exact data like 'Enemy, 500m' or something but just like 'enemy left flank' or 'enemy north' and that isn't even from the players perspective. Because of that you have to activate the optical assistence like coloured indicators above enemies(so much about OFP2 being made by devils hand because of the hit indicator), because otherwise it's simply hardly possible to recognize enemies until it's too late.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Multiplayer footage:

YouTube - Arma2-InGame-MP HD

The "reload before dying" was very funny, but overall it looks very good.

I love the crouch walking you see in the beginning, it looks very realistic. It was great in ACE and it looks even better in ArmA 2. The sounds and graphics are much better, especially the grass and trees, and the skybox.

I don't think the movement system is clunky at all, by the way. In fact, it looks like it's improved because you can reload while on the move now.

Upvote 0
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3VTjc86QwM&feature=email&fmt=22]YouTube - Arma2 - AI works with 1.01 (Utes Demonstration)[/URL]

Notably better AI, if you know how the AI in ArmA was.
They cover eachother, and are using bounding overwatch tactics, position themselves in a way that covers the best angles etc.
It's ofcourse a bit rough but for an open-ended game like this it's mighty impressive imho, even more so if you consider the AI isnt just infantry, but flies planes, helicopters, drives tanks, boats etc too, and on top of that even is capable of some RTS stuff as commander AI.

I like the new radio sounds too.
Several sentences are still obviously chopped pieces, but there are a lot of sentences that sound quite natural now too.
Overall i like it.

Upvote 0
Notably better AI, if you know how the AI in ArmA was.
They cover eachother, and are using bounding overwatch tactics, position themselves in a way that covers the best angles etc.
It's ofcourse a bit rough but for an open-ended game like this it's mighty impressive imho, even more so if you consider the AI isnt just infantry, but flies planes, helicopters, drives tanks, boats etc too, and on top of that even is capable of some RTS stuff as commander AI.

I like the new radio sounds too.
Several sentences are still obviously chopped pieces, but there are a lot of sentences that sound quite natural now too.
Overall i like it.

Wow, very nice. So much for the AI being the same as ArmA's, haha. :D They actually stick to the buildings and guard both corners. They're even leaning. Impressive.

The infantry animations look amazing (except the sprinting one maybe). Best I've ever seen, no kidding.

Upvote 0