[Game] The ArmA 2 thread (hurr hurr, no Armed Assault 2)

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KrazyKraut

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Beer capital of the world
SecuROM and its intrusion into your system is enough don't you think?

ARMA 2 enters at No.1 into the German Sales Charts:
1.ArmA 2
2.WoW Lich King
3.Landwirtschafts-Simulator 2009 (no joke)
4.FIFA 09
5.World of WarCraft
6.Sims 2
7.WoW Burning Crusade
8.CS:Source
9.Empire: Total War
10.Fallout 3

Dcode

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Sheffield, UK
SecuROM and its intrusion into your system is enough don't you think?

ARMA 2 enters at No.1 into the German Sales Charts:
1.ArmA 2
2.WoW Lich King
3.Landwirtschafts-Simulator 2009 (no joke)
4.FIFA 09
5.World of WarCraft
6.Sims 2
7.WoW Burning Crusade
8.CS:Source
9.Empire: Total War
10.Fallout 3

If this were Sims 3, Call of Duty or OFP 2 then the question of DRM would have been used as a tool to further assasinate these titles. Especially round here as us lot are quite vocal when it comes to our games.

Could it be that this is Arma 2 that no one has said anything?

This needs to be addressed. As far as i am concerned; this could be the holy grail of gaming, but if it uses anything nasty it will not be installed on my machine.

KrazyKraut

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
I have to be honest, I have only a vague idea what FADE does, but I think it blocks two people using the same cd key entering multiplayer games. So if you thought you could play a two player LAN coop using the same cd... byebye.

SecuROM is just, well, the devil. It is intrudes heavily into your system, does all kinds of stuff you don't want and can't be uninstalled properly in many if not all cases:

http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=104
http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=11

SiC-Disaster

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
Yep, what Tomcat says.
It can make your game rather unplayable because bullets are going everywhere they arent supposed to, performance may even drop too i think etc. It generally messes with your gameplay.
This is all caused by running wrong .exes and other stuff that overwrites original data content (i believe).
There was even mentioning of English language patch users also triggering FADE, though this seems to be unnerved and proved wrong.
Still, modfolders are your friends, because most importantly, pbo's in modfolders dont overwrite anything of the original files.
For example myself i have placed the language files in a modfolder and run that folder with the -mod=@English command in my shortcut.

KrazyKraut

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Wow, that is messed up. I remember having similar problems with Drakensang, a German RPG: It too thought I had a pirated copy, probably because of my very old udma dvd drive and it made some quest incompletable, e.g. doors won't open etc.
Unawate, I spent a few hours searching for the right way to solve the quests until I became so frustrated I searched the internet: Turns out it was copy protection and many fellow gamers experienced the same. A patch later solved the problem for me.

What's the point of these deteriorating copy protections, sure you will annoy the "pirates" a lot. But do you think annoyed people will dump a pirated copy and buy the original. No, they will just dump it. Period. And you have a certain percentage of real customers annoyed aswell.

DraKon2k

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Borrowed the game from a friend and started playing the campaign a bit. The game runs good on medium-high settings but I get a headache from all the blur. The game has so great potential but execution varies from horrible to average. Also I seem to get some kind of bug here and then where player animations somehow are slow-motion.

MadMax

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Ger
I got this game since three days and so far I really love it. But I must say for me the learning curve is pretty hard even compared to RO.

Are there any players here that meet together and play some coop missions in an organized manner where I could join?

Dillinger

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 10, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I'd love to coop with you guys. I have ArmA, and a...."demo"....copy of ArmA II until the 505 release which I'll purchase on day one. I'm down for ArmA coop if you guys want to get together. I need to reinstall though, and be sure to tell me the addons.

SiC-Disaster

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
The upside of FADE was that sometimes hilarity ensued on the official forums when some illegal user complained about 'bugs' turning him into a seagull after x amount of playtime with the text: "Good birds dont fly away from this game. I blame myself." :eek::D
Ofcourse all the forum regulars now exactly what's going on at that point:p

Dillinger

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 10, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Playing this game without the motion blur and stuff makes it look just like ArmA. I like the blur very much, as it adds to the atmosphere.

Also, this game and setting would be perfect for a STALKER-type mod like the one from OFP.

Rak

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 23, 2005
D
Well it is an upgraded ArmA actually with a new map :X Kind of what L4D 2 is to L4D.

I. Kant

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 9, 2007
Also, this game and setting would be perfect for a STALKER-type mod like the one from OFP.

Hmm, I was thinking along the lines of Jagged-Alliance-turned-FPS style of thing.

Also, @Rak: so for those of us who haven't played the first ArmA, is it worth trying? ;P