• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

The cultures you hold so dearly and want to protect from outside (i.e. American, in this topic, Muslim, in Europe) influences are purely products of outside influences and adopting language patterns, tools, systems, artistic styles, traditions and customs from other cultures because if they weren't we'd still be praying to painted, carved stones that differ from valley to valley.

Of course you can resist and keep your culture "pure" but all you'd do with that is create a sort of time-bubble where you hold of your little folklore shows year after year. That's not how culture works historically, imo. That's how culture works in a museum. Which in itself is an invention of modern times.
The main difference is that cultures used to bleed into one-another from border to border. Town to town, tribe to tribe, country to country, cultural circle into cultural circle (e.g. mediterranean to barbarian, lol). Today they bleed into each-other internationally. Through television, Internet, commerce, immigration... What hasn't changed is that it happens.

Nothing wrong with Halloween, imo. Especially as it doesn't really replace anything as such, it mostly adds something (mostly American now).

Santa Claus is a little different, for one because he actually replaces something (e.g. your Holy Man or our Christkind), because he's purely a commercial fabrication and most of us still know that. It's just a bit of semi-interesting trivia for us now though and perhaps in a hundred years only a couple of historians will know anymore, because Santa Claus took over and it's legitimately part of our culture now. If people look back to the 20th/21st century in, say, 700 years, they'd see Santa Claus as an antiquated Christmas tradition people in the oldern days used before, I don't know, "Microsoft Sam" became the popular Christmas-presents-bringing-person.:p

Upvote 0
Should we become an international culture lead by commerce (because it seems only the holidays where you buy presents are getting more popular) or should every place keep their culture. Countries can progress while upholding its culture (as long as it doesn't interfere with progression).
The real message of holidays is getting less important but becomes more about buying presents for eachother.

And no, it doesn't matter what gets you laid more often. The real question is should the western society become one identity?

Last edited:
Reactions: fiftyone
Upvote 0
As for valentines day, I don't really see how that's commercialized

Upvote 0
Some random people these days are complaining that the german term for bogeyman (Die schwarze Mann) is racist
And rightly so, it's a bogus term!
*waits for applause and laughter that never comes*

And white people can boogie too!
*waits some more* *shambles off the stage, head and shoulders hanging*:(

Reactions: Oldih
Upvote 0
The problem is, which one?

It's impossible to choose, besides, it's more realistic to have 3-4 cultures on the world. The western culture, african culture, middle eastern culture and asian culture. Because those cultures will never agree to be part of another one. Besides all that, cultures clashing always causes conflict. You can't have a peaceful cultural domination. People will defend their own culture because it's part of who they are.

Upvote 0
Ugh, yes, everytime we see something we don't like or don't care for, lets blame us Americans :rolleyes:
Yeah, that damned American Cortez took out the Aztecs and Pizarro introduced small pox to the Incas, and that boatload of carefree American Pilgrims landed in Massachusetts and from there began the improvement of the culture of the indigenous indians. Those pushy American types ..... all they do is push their will and culture upon the world.....Part of their genetic makeup perhaps?

Reactions: Peter.Steele
Upvote 0
Yeah, that damned American Cortez took out the Aztecs and Pizarro introduced small pox to the Incas, and that boatload of carefree American Pilgrims landed in Massachusetts and from there began the improvement of the culture of the indigenous indians. Those pushy American types ..... all they do is push their will and culture upon the world.....Part of their genetic makeup perhaps?

Yeah, us Americans are a bunch of cultures put together. A great majority of those cultures are the European ones all meshed together. I guess that is what will happen if you create some sort of European Union :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is NOT meant as an attack on you! But I swear to god, a couple of weeks ago I talked to someone and we came to the conclusion that only assholes could ever study law. Because you need to have a certain screwed up mindset to want to deal with the quirkiness of it all that just defies reason and empathy. You'd have to be someone who wants to help guilty people cheat the law or someone who wants to touch innocent people with the law or, even if you're an angel otherwise, someone who wants to catch guilty people with the law, like a cop. But even that mindset is that of an asshole.

I don't mean to put down the profession of lawyers as a whole. As a society we need them, apparently, because our laws ****ed up enough. I don't mean to put down cops either. They take bullets so I don't have to and there's something inherently noble about that. But still, if they weren't out to get people they wouldn't be cops, and if they are, they are assholes.:p

It was only a half-serious discussion, but there was something to it that stuck with me.

Anyway, so now you come along, not only studying law for whatever purpose you have in mind with it, but loving it.

Again, not saying you're an asshole or that this is funny because I think you are one. Not at all. Don't get me wrong. Still funny.:)

Good luck with your studies though.

Reactions: Jono and Fedorov
Upvote 0
This is NOT meant as an attack on you! But I swear to god, a couple of weeks ago I talked to someone and we came to the conclusion that only assholes could ever study law...

I would have studied law but for the fact that i feared that would automatically have made me a c***.
Now i realise i would have been happy to be a c***, as long as it was a rich c***.

Upvote 0
This is NOT meant as an attack on you! But I swear to god, a couple of weeks ago I talked to someone and we came to the conclusion that only assholes could ever study law. Because you need to have a certain screwed up mindset to want to deal with the quirkiness of it all that just defies reason and empathy. You'd have to be someone who wants to help guilty people cheat the law or someone who wants to touch innocent people with the law or, even if you're an angel otherwise, someone who wants to catch guilty people with the law, like a cop. But even that mindset is that of an asshole.

I don't mean to put down the profession of lawyers as a whole. As a society we need them, apparently, because our laws ****ed up enough. I don't mean to put down cops either. They take bullets so I don't have to and there's something inherently noble about that. But still, if they weren't out to get people they wouldn't be cops, and if they are, they are assholes.:p

It was only a half-serious discussion, but there was something to it that stuck with me.

Anyway, so now you come along, not only studying law for whatever purpose you have in mind with it, but loving it.

Again, not saying you're an asshole or that this is funny because I think you are one. Not at all. Don't get me wrong. Still funny.:)

Good luck with your studies though.

I would have studied law but for the fact that i feared that would automatically have made me a c***.
Now i realise i would have been happy to be a c***, as long as it was a rich c***.

Exactly the reason that I'm doing law school now. I'm a screwed up heartless individual who desires to be a rich c***.

Reactions: DraKon2k
Upvote 0