• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

20120101120518.jpg

"Where the hell am I"
20120101121556.jpg

Upvote 0
Somehow nights like these leave me devastated the next day. I feel kinda exhausted both mentally and physically. Just too much party in whole december, yesterday was just the climax. Now I need to relax until things take their normal shape again eventually. Still some sort of constant wouldn't hurt, because changing my lifestyle so often is leaving me very unsatisfied.

Upvote 0
Somehow nights like these leave me devastated the next day. I feel kinda exhausted both mentally and physically. Just too much party in whole december, yesterday was just the climax. Now I need to relax until things take their normal shape again eventually. Still some sort of constant wouldn't hurt, because changing my lifestyle so often is leaving me very unsatisfied.

Play more RO.

Upvote 0
Was just watching TB's video on character creation in The Old Republic, when I noticed this, distracting me on the side of the screen.

Dragon Age:Origins - Medieval Beauties - YouTube

How low is it to promote your game with this? Frankly, employing women in such a role (i.e. one where their sexuality is exposed in order to promote sales) is against the law in here, afaik. I guess we're more progressive than the UK, then.

(It need not be mentioned that this is as medieval as Hitler was benevolent, or any other bizzare comparison)

Reactions: tofupunk
Upvote 0
More honest than implementing a token, very well publicized sex scene to lure in the twelve year-olds!
You know it's a blunt marketing ploy when they take out the gay option but leave the lesbian option in there. Because everyone knows lesbians making out are hot but gay dudes playing with chest-hair is gross...
The whole sex scene issue in Mass Effect 1 and 2 just disgusted me.

Now, the sex scene(s?) in Red Dead Redemption where fantastic, because they had a point. And a hilarious one at that! (that both sides of the revolution where only out to literally **** the people they pretended to care about in their empty rhetoric). I only point this out so no one sticks me in the prude soccer-mom camp. I can appreciate the value of a sex scene, IF it has value.

At the very least, that's the biggest plus of a straight-up "boobs, lol" stunt like that, fans can't defend this as important to the plot, which the sex scenes in ME1/2 clearly aren't. Because they're optional, for one thing.
At least that stunt can be discussed for what it is. Using sex to move product.
And in so doing I only have to say: Tasteless but nothing new. Don't care.

They don't look medieval at all though. Even bad period pieces, as much they usually mix-and-match periods and regions to create a look that looks good to modern audiences, at least attempt to give off a vague "ye oldern thymes" vibe. I don't even see a minimum of effort there.
Spoiler!

Reactions: REZ
Upvote 0
Was just watching TB's video on character creation in The Old Republic, when I noticed this, distracting me on the side of the screen.

How low is it to promote your game with this? Frankly, employing women in such a role (i.e. one where their sexuality is exposed in order to promote sales) is against the law in here, afaik. I guess we're more progressive than the UK, then.

(It need not be mentioned that this is as medieval as Hitler was benevolent, or any other bizzare comparison)

I don't know if you're more progressive than the UK, but if you're making that post in anything other than an attempt at sarcastic jest, then I'm fairly certain that you are more boring, humorless and hung up on yourselves than the UK.

Upvote 0
I don't know if you're more progressive than the UK, but if you're making that post in anything other than an attempt at sarcastic jest, then I'm fairly certain that you are more boring, humorless and hung up on yourselves than the UK.

I don't think we all are like that, because while I think discussing the country's laws and using a metonymy of "we" to stand for the whole country is legitimate, discussing character traits as relating to the whole populace is not.

If you were referring to me personally, under a witty guise referencing my inappropriate (apparently, for you) use of metonymy, then perhaps your perception of myself is correct. But that depends on how you perceive me, which you know best.

And as for my intentions on posting this. Frankly, I was shocked - by the irrelevance of the whole thing to what I thought of as a fantasy game. Okay, there is a camp strain of fantasy that dwells on such representations of females, but I didn't think DA was one of them (haven't played the games, so that's based off, well, just my idea of the game). The shock factor also came from the fact that the game's rated M, but it's using such immature ploys to sell. If mature people wanted a boob focused product, they'd go where boob focused products are, I thought. And if it wasn't for the benefit of mature people, then the hypocrisy irks me.

Anyway, carry on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unless you're selling boobs, obviously.:D

As for the rating, yeah right. Because Gears of War isn't marketed to and predominantly played by teens.:rolleyes:
The ratings mean something when it comes to profit, because grandma Phyllis won't buy little Timmy an 18+ game for his birthday and certain stores won't carry AO rated titles at all, but they certainly don't matter when it comes to who will actually be playing the games and who they're made for and in this case who they're marketed to.

You can't lure a grown man into playing a game with the promise of a lesbian kiss or some 15 second sex scene.
You can lure in impressionable kids though.
Just judging from my own experience. I don't have numbers to support it.

Scantly clad women at such events don't have that much to do with this. They're mostly about creating a party atmosphere that wouldn't be there without them and perhaps more importantly: transference. People get excited and can't judge if it's because some jiggly boobed babe is giggling next to them or because the game/hardware/car is so fantastic.

Of course that tactic works, but it's still tasteless if it's applied in such a blunt manner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I'm getting sick of scantly clad women trying to boost a game sale...

Actually I'm starting to get put off by this form of marketing because as soon a I see a CG woman waring almost nothing supporting breasts almost as big as her head, I know they they are personality less, hollow, meaningless lumps of flesh with nothing to do but bring stupid grins to a sexually deprived and longing target audience.

And doing that to the entire gender is just wrong....

Spoiler!

Reactions: aesdana
Upvote 0