• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

texture quality reduced even at maximum levels? unsure

Sgt Jigglebelly

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2718970

is there any legitimacy in the claims of this thread from the steam forums?

now that i think of it and inspect some of the surfaces in the game it does seem like texture quality on a lot of things has been reduced, but i could just be fooling myself. the game does run a lot better now but i was wondering if anyone had enough screens from b4 and had made a fair up-close comparison?

:confused:

don't get me wrong, i love the goty update and its been great so far

Graphics quality started going down after the first optimisation faze months ago and there was a thread around here then with tweaks to undo it.

Don't see why anyway, the game was always CPU heavy on one thread with loads of GPU spare. And those with weak GPU's should not have been running high or ultra settings anyway. The highest setting should never have been touched.

Some of the "optimization" can be reversed in the configs by forcing full textures size and undoing the aggressive lod.

Some maps got worse, but I found the train station map for example graphics improved in the latest GOTY update. And Pavlovs house went through a faze of looking great, looking crap without bricks and now looking decent again.

I have a tweaked config and set it to read only. If I let the game reset the config and just use the in game menu it looks crap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
can you give me a quick tutorial or lead me to the thread? i'd be forever grateful!;)

Thread : http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=67058

Check page 4

My current settings that should give you nice quality increase:

Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config

Changed these settings in Roengine.ini :

poolSize=512

FoliageDrawRadiusMultiplier=2.0

[SystemSettings]
replaced all LODBias=0 to LODBias=-2 (except SkeletalMeshLODBias and
ParticleLODBias).

replaced all TextureGroups MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096
To
MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096 LODBias=-2

Then you have to Read only the roengine.ini or the game will keep changing things back.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoFGR1
Upvote 0
thanks a lot! i knew about the poolsize, the rest is new for me. i'll check it out, maybe my gpu can handle it ;)

I took the maxshadowresolution out as it causes some odd behaviour in places.

You can increase the MinLODSize higher if you want, I tried 1024 but it looked too high rez and didnt blend in well (craters for example).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
is there any legitimacy in the claims of this thread from the steam forums?

The short answer is NO. Texture resolution hasn't been changed since the release of the game.

What did change however is the ability to select Ultra textures if your machine has less than 3GB of RAM or if you are running a 32bit OS. This is done so that you don't run out of memory and crash. This was the intended behavior at launch but it wasn't working correctly, thus allowing people with insufficient memory (or 32bit OS) to select Ultra textures, and possibly crash. This has been fixed in the latest update.

Just to clarify, if you have a 32bit Windows, it doesn't matter whether you have 4 or 8 GB of RAM since your system can only address 2GB of process memory. A 64bit Windows on the other hand can access 4GB of memory and we allow it to use Ultra textures.

You can use the tweaks mentioned in the earlier posts to manually inflate the texture resolution, but use it in your own risk. If you run into issues where entire objects are completely black or missing textures, then you know where to look to fix the issue.

Also, I'll just leave this here as well. You can modify your 32bit OS to address 3GB of RAM (instead of the 2GB standard). Here's how to do it. But, I'll add that this modifies your windows settings, and I wouldn't recommend you do this until you understand what you are doing. You can google "Windows 3gb switch" for more information.

1. Open command prompt with Administrator rights. To do this, go to Programs, Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator."
  2. Enter the following at the prompt and press enter: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072
  3. Close the prompt and restart the computer.

Reactions: SoFGR1
Upvote 0
Also, I'll just leave this here as well. You can modify your 32bit OS to address 3GB of RAM (instead of the 2GB standard). Here's how to do it. But, I'll add that this modifies your windows settings, and I wouldn't recommend you do this until you understand what you are doing. You can google "Windows 3gb switch" for more information.
[/LIST]

A word of warning. I used to have this on, but it caused stutter in some games, like starcraft II.

Upvote 0
The short answer is NO. Texture resolution hasn't been changed since the release of the game.

If that is the case, why does the game look lower rez than it did at original release last year? And it looks like the original release and pre release beta after "inflating" the texture resolution.

Always used x64 OS with 8 GB mem and Ultra settings.

Upvote 0
Maybe now you play with depth of field off, so you can actually see the textures of things. Depth of field made a lot of the textures often blurred so you never saw them (think of for instance first person guns, and in general textures close by).

Also: if you played with DoF off before the patch: you had no post processing. If you play with DoF after the patch, you do have post processing. I noticed by default post processing 'blurs' things, but I tweaked it in ROGame.ini by changing the desaturation value of the 'Normal' post processing option.

Upvote 0