• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Territory, Countdown, or Firefight?

Territory, Countdown, or Firefight?

• Territory

Votes: 231 75.2%
  • Countdown

Votes: 132 43.0%
  • Firefight

Votes: 44 14.3%

• Total voters

Merin Redplate

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2010
Horzine Mailroom
Which game mode do you think you'll like the most?

Territory Mode: This is the original gamemode that made Red Orchestra famous. Attack, Hold and Defend objectives within the set timelimit, or until one side runs out of reinforments.

Countdown Mode: Countdown mode is a single life gametype that is governed by a short countdown timer. Players will have to attack or defend a series of objectives, but with only one life per objective. If the attackers capture the objective, all players respawn and move to the next objective. If they do not capture the objective before the timer expires, they lose. Maps will have "key objectives" which when taken will allow the attacking team a single respawn on a later failed capture.

Firefight Mode: Red Orchestra's version of team deathmatch.

I will certainly play the old school Territory, but i'm also very excited about countdown which could be something really nice, especially since its a twist on a single life gametype and because it could cater to a lot of competitive players/clans.

Firefight would be my last choice even if it could be fun at times but to me i've a hard time seeing regular tdm in an Red Orchestra title.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schreq
Upvote 0
I voted for the two that aren't Countdown.

I got thoroughly sick of single life gameplay in AA. Far too campy and it attracts e-peen elitist types that type pwnt and other such tripe in the chat ad nauseum ;)

But it's the campaign mode you haven't mentioned that I am most looking forward to.

Edit: I'll try countdown of course and I hope I'm wrong :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kipper and Schreq
Upvote 0
I will definately be playing the classic territory mode. The multiplayer campaign sounds right up my alley too. I've always wanted longer, contiguous battles in RO.

I'm a competitive/clan player and the Countdown/Firefight modes sound like the last thing I'd ever want to play. To me they dont really belong in RO, so I wont be playing either of those gametypes.

Upvote 0
Countdown/Firefight modes sound like the last thing I'd ever want to play. To me they dont really belong in RO, so I wont be playing either of those gametypes.

I for one think Countdown will do wonders for the community. Some of my favorite RO moments came from when my team has run out of reinforcements. It's intense. I actually feel fear when I see that German round the corner with his MP40. I hit the ground when that MG starts peppering my position. I know I only have seconds to live, so I make everything count. Every movement, every action, every shot - it all matters incredibly. It's amazing how visceral things become, knowing any moment could be your last. There's so much tragedy as your team valiantly defends the last cap, unable to hold the tide of enemies as they swarm over your position. In the last moments, I actually care about the lives of my teammates. Without them, it's one less person to fight with, to hold off the impossible. The last moments are always the fiercest. The finest, and, through victory or defeat, the last moments are always the proudest.

Upvote 0
I for one think Countdown will do wonders for the community. Some of my favorite RO moments came from when my team has run out of reinforcements. It's intense. I actually feel fear when I see that German round the corner with his MP40. I hit the ground when that MG starts peppering my position. I know I only have seconds to live, so I make everything count. Every movement, every action, every shot - it all matters incredibly. It's amazing how visceral things become, knowing any moment could be your last. There's so much tragedy as your team valiantly defends the last cap, unable to hold the tide of enemies as they swarm over your position. In the last moments, I actually care about the lives of my teammates. Without them, it's one less person to fight with, to hold off the impossible. The last moments are always the fiercest. The finest, and, through victory or defeat, the last moments are always the proudest.

I know exactly what you mean! Well, I did, but sadly I'm far too old and fond of wine for that now. I much prefer long drawn out affairs where I can keep my blood pressure on an even keel ;)

Upvote 0
I would personally prefer either gi-****ing gantic cap-defend maps with tons of objectives (DH style) or insanely long countdown timers.

I always feel like the Ost timers are pushing me to charge balls-to-the-wall towards the trench in the middle of an MG crossfire and I feel like a dumbo trying to spear assault troopers with my bolty rifle.

A little slower pace on a handful of maps would be peachy. Vanilla gametype is swell. TDM would be weird. I personally don't like CS style 1-life maps.

Upvote 0
Both Territories and Countdown seems fun.

Not really interested in Firefight. I just don't see the incentives to play it, since killing the other team is something that you are gonna be doing anyway in the other two modes.

Edit: Thinking about the possible appeals of Firefight, I the only one I could come up with, is that "IF" it retains the squad system of the other modes; the maps could be used in a sandboxy way (think Killing Floor). Where squads would attack/hole up in unlikely places, and fight to control areas that would never see action in the objective based modes, without having to worry about the map progression and the objectives captured. That, and enemy attacks from unpredictable directions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0