• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Territorial Suppression

Chadwiick

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2010
Tampa, Florida
I've been lookin' up some material lately and thought, hey why not have an effect on people who are capturing?
Alright, so here's my thought, when people are capturing a territory they recieve a penalty for getting suppressed. In other terms, my team is capturing while the other team is like oh crap, alright lets get everyone available to move to a position of strength and fire at their guys capturing.
When a team who is capturing is under suppression they get a penalty for it, say like slower capture rate maybe even if the fire is great enough to halt it. So the more guns you get shooting at the people (not just in the territory because that would suck, like they have to shoot within like a 1-2 meter radius and it can't be like shooting at a wall in hope someone is there unless bullets go through) the slower capture they recieve.
The way to counter such power is to obviously get more guys into capture.
Pros: Encourages team work. Defense uses up more ammo faster.
Cons: Makes assaulting harder, and requires more out of specialty ecspecially the sniper.
Please ask if you don't understand some, want to figure out more of my idea. And don't forget to give me your opinion on what is good and what is not.

PS. Give me more pros and cons!

Edited Notes;
#1;
For a big change in capping rate you'd need every soldier capping suppressed, for Defenders that mean every soldier must target an enemy soldier, or say like a machine gunner "hitting 2 birds with one stone" effect by laying down constant fire while still shooting them both or atleast in their general direction of 2 meter radius.

#2;
O1:to counter the super defenders advantage, they have to be in the territory to have the territorial suppression effect.
O2:Or you could just do as, if the defenders are suppressed by the attackers, they can recieve a bonus, but must remain in the territory to have an effect.
So if defenders are suppressed, attackers get an increased capture rate. If the attackers are suppressed, they get a reduced capture rate.

Last edited:
Good idea, but it might be better to look at how suppressed the defenders are. If the defenders are unsuppressed, then chances are that the attackers are cowering in a ditch or not there at all. So maybe the cap time decreases if the defenders are very suppressed and increases if they aren't suppressed at all.

Upvote 0
Good idea, but it might be better to look at how suppressed the defenders are. If the defenders are unsuppressed, then chances are that the attackers are cowering in a ditch or not there at all. So maybe the cap time decreases if the defenders are very suppressed and increases if they aren't suppressed at all.
That's why the defenders have to shoot in a something like a 2 meter radius of an enemy soldier, but the effect is reduced when you're shooting at a wall & such. Maybe give a penalty for being in a ditch?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm just thinking along the lines of bobdog, the attackers will always be shot at, slowing down the cap would just make it harder. If the attackers cant shoot, then they are not too useful as far as taking ground, so look at the defenders to see how combat effective the attackers are.

It looks at the same type of stuff that you are trying to get, an attacker could be useless, but be in the cap zone (cowering/hiding from enemy fire), like so many times in ROOST. If you look at the defenders, you can see how useful these soldiers in the cap are/ how much support they are getting.

Im sure we would all prefer to avoid having those situations where 20 russians are hiding behind a monument to avoid getting shot but still cap, there they wont be suppressed in game terms, but will be in actuality, because the defenders just have a shooting range. If the defenders are suppressed, the attackers can move forwards much easier.

Upvote 0
Maybe look at both sides? Suppression of defenders and attackers effects it, or just leave it as is (assuming that all bodies in the zone count). Either way, we should agree to disagree cause I don't think we'll convince each other of the opposite. But I support the basic concept.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What it does is that it emphasizes teamwork and penalizes you for not helping your team, now yeah not everything is perfect, but to me it just sounds like fun, we are pinned and can't move forward... we need support, next thing commander calls artillery on the enemy stronghold, puts their heads down and bam, we are capturing it, then the next wave continues, what happens next is what we have to find out!
@Overholt,
I doubt tanks can just roll in a territory and runnin' over people, they have things like other tanks and AT weapons, also artillery, is meant to help the game, it's not like you have unlimited artillery/able to spam it.
Now think about it, if you were in a real battle you saw a tank roll up lead the charge, you're like yeah! Then it goes boom then you're like no- morale drops and rises with tanks. Perhaps that could be implimented?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now think about it, if you were in a real battle you saw a tank roll up lead the charge, you're like yeah! Then it goes boom then you're like no- morale drops and rises with tanks. Perhaps that could be implimented?

This would be amazing for CO maps! I would be surprised if they don't already have this in in some way, but a yes for sure. You are advancing with that noisy belching steel behemoth and then it gets destroyed... what does that mean for you, a soft squishy human? You're probably thinking that you're ****ed.

Upvote 0