• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design TE-Foy

Sgt.NightFire

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2006
This is a map i started on near the end of last year, but got stuck in a backlog. This week i continued on the map, it's a recreation from the map in the RO mod Darkest Hour, amongst one of the best maps in that mod for me!

This is what i got so far, everything you see is still subject to change, like the houses shown are placeholders. This map when finished will also be part of the Heroes Of The West mod as the Battle For Foy was during the Battle Of The Bulge with the 506th PIR, aka E(asy) Company well known from Band of Brothers!

Screenshots what i have so far:
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Promotional video i made 3 years ago using the map so you can see the map in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3_QLTixy90

*Thanks to BOH-rekrut for getting me the height map of the original Foy in DH! Will creating this map's terrain allot simpler now!

Last edited:
Small update, finished my first house! Nymets has been helping me out with getting some static meshes for the map, we try to get the French telephone pole in the map and perhaps if possible the entire church. But it's difficult seeing when you extract a building from RO/DH because as a prefab you can't resize it's textures. So i took the untextured building Nymets got for me and copied it with my own brushes and here is the result:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks great! But might I suggest you add some snow on the horizontal surfaces? It looks too 'clean' for the environment.

Also if I may suggest. Some of your texture scale seems bit off. Looks as if the house textures are bit stretched and the terrain textures reduced in scale.

What values are you using for your terrain material?

Keep up the good work.

Upvote 0
I have a suggestion, and I suppose it's not map specific, but more globally to the mappers; with destroyed houses like this, can you include an appropriate amount of debris inside and outside? Not enough to hinder movement, however enough mounds of rubble so that it looks more realistic and changes the elevation around the outside at least.

I love the look of this map as well.

Upvote 0
It looks great! But might I suggest you add some snow on the horizontal surfaces? It looks too 'clean' for the environment.

I honestly have no idea how to do this... you can't just grab some snow and drop it on the buildings. If you would look at any building in RO2, you will see that most of them don't have snow on them at all, some have textured snow on their ledges, but they are made for that specific building.

I have a suggestion, and I suppose it's not map specific, but more globally to the mappers; with destroyed houses like this, can you include an appropriate amount of debris inside and outside? Not enough to hinder movement, however enough mounds of rubble so that it looks more realistic and changes the elevation around the outside at least.

I love the look of this map as well.

I always make the bare bones of the building first, as you see in the screenshots, i did not even paint the ground textures yet, after that more debris, rubble and such will be added to make it more like a destroyed building. because if i immediately add all of it and the building is like not positioned perfectly or something has to change to the building, i got a load of debris or rubble to bother me as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I honestly have no idea how to do this... you can't just grab a snow texture and paint it on the buildings. If you would look at any building in RO2, you will see that most of them don't have snow on them at all, some have textured snow on their ledges, but they are made for that specific building.

How about using the snow static meshes? There are those snow hills available in Stalingrad, also check Winterwald, there might be some on the bunkers.

Upvote 0