• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tanks hardcore/realism mode

RiccardoTheBeAst

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Italy
For driver:

-Manual start/stop of the engine* (turned off engine will require to turn manually the turret).
-Manual gear* (with also manual clutch for super-hardcore players).
-No HUD, every available info must be checked in the tank's instrumentation*.

For commander:

-No HUD, as for the driver, instrumentation must be checked.

For gunner:

-No HUD, as for every member, except the ammo availability that will be displayed (it's necessary for the ammo selection). The ammo names will be the original names, so, you'll see "Pzgr. 39" instead of "APCBC" etc.

For machinegunner:

-No HUD except number of drums left

*= i dunno if the instrumentation will work and if driving will be more complex than press "WASD", but infact this suggestion isn't specifically for HoS but it's generically also for the MODs and for HoS future upgrades/DLCs. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Krator
I'm pretty sure we should let the modding community figure it out instead, this sounds like a prime candidate for a mutator.
It is a good idea for a mutator, then you would have the choice of whether or not you wanted to join a server that was running it.

WiFiDi said "i think we should let tripwire figure this stuff out"
and
Fenix 611 said "its a step towards realism",
Yes it is a step towards realism, but dont forget that TWI have taken a step back from realism (RO realism anyway) by not allowing crew to exit their tank,spawning INSIDE your tank, and controlling the turret/gun with the mouse.
I would like to see a mutator that "corrects" these things at the same time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
World War 2 Online (Battleground Europe) had a great tank and aeroplane control system. It had engine on/off, every crew member could be killed, it had gears, reverse gears etc. If that game still had more players, I'd be surely playing it to this day.

Destroying ships with torpedo planes ftw, was one of the most realistic war games ever, and also one of the best ones. I hope that people making RO2 know the game and take something from it.

Upvote 0
This would be a good mutater although I would like a mutator that fixes the things TWI took out first idioticly, if my tank is on fire I kinda want to get out before I die a horrible fiery death to grab a rifle pop off a few helmets before I'm gunned down horrificly.

yes, yes, that's been well discussed.
i'm sure the first mutator released will be for getting out of tanks.

Upvote 0
IMO the whole "you can't exit the tank" is an answer to a nonexistent problem. In Darkest Hour you get points for killing the tank. So basically I shoot a sherman tank, I get 3-4 points. Even if 1 tank crewmember escapes - what's the problem? He's in the middle of nowhere and in 9/10 cases I just gun him down with HE shells anyways.
I don't really understand why TWI decided to limit player's options so much. On big tank maps (with firing distances of 1000+ meters) scouting with binoculars really improves the chances of survival. You don't want to drive through that field when there are 2-3 enemy tanks lookig in it's direction, right? :)

And I think that such realistic tanking would be absolutely awesome. I got bored to hell as a tank driver, unless it was close range fighting using tiger tank, where the driver is the guy who has to think about proper turret facing, cause it moves VERY slow. And manual gear shifting could be like manual bolting - faster than automatic, but optional and useful only to those, who are really profficient with it.

And "no HUD" is just pretty obvious. We have DETAILED tank interior for a reason. We don't need unrealistic, anti-immersive hud telling us everything, when we can just look around.

Upvote 0