• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tanks and objects

Unterscharfuhrer

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2010
Somewhere Else
Ok guys, we allready knew that tanks can crush fences and other obstacles, but what happens if a tank engage a small wooden building? This suburbs map Spartakova I think looks like there are many wooden buildings? Can we squash them?

film-buehne-313.jpg

Reactions: u-s-e-r
I do get what you are saying but that isn't entirely true. For instance, I was watching Greatest Tank Battles on the Military channel, and although that show does depict the animated battle horribly the story is still worth watching for.

The episode I was watching was one of the Battle of the Bulge episodes and the crew of a I believe was a M5 AT gun observed a king tiger back up into a house. Although the actual pictures shown of the actual king tiger showed the tiger pretty ****** up, as it looked like it couldn't make it because it had got elevated when it backed up and looked like the tracks couldn't spin although I'm not exactly sure what had happened that had made the Tiger II inoperable.

But anyway there is footage of a Tiger 1 driving through a building and just completely driving right through it. It really showed thr Tiger's power. I am sure, although I can't say for certain, that there has been a tank that may have had only one option of getting thr tank and all of it's components (the crew) out alive was to attempt to drive through a building or part of a building.

I think most of us know that tanks CAN go through buildings. I think what RedGuardist is trying to say is that its not a smart move if it isn't absolutely necessary. Stuff can get caught in the tracks, and woops, the tank is stuck and possibly covered by rubble.

Also, gameplay wise, I don't think it would be a good thing. People would just use them as battering rams and run people over. Think of the halftracks in RO/DH, but with the ability to smash buildings.

Although I must admit tanks smashing through buildings is pretty damn cool...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think most of us know that tanks CAN go through buildings. I think what RedGuardist is trying to say is that its not a smart move if it isn't absolutely necessary. Stuff can get caught in the tracks, and woops, the tank is stuck and possibly covered by rubble.

Also, gameplay wise, I don't think it would be a good thing. People would just use them as battering rams and run people over. Think of the halftracks in RO/DH, but with the ability to smash buildings.

Although I must admit tanks smashing through buildings is pretty damn cool...

The Sd Kfz 251 only weighed something like 8 tons. Although that is a lot I wouldn't expect that to go through one house and out the other lol. But I do agree with what you are saying.

Upvote 0
The Sd Kfz 251 only weighed something like 8 tons. Although that is a lot I wouldn't expect that to go through one house and out the other lol. But I do agree with what you are saying.

I mean on some maps people drove them around without a gunner and ran people over. I dont think driving an open top 251 through a building would be a good idea at all :)

Upvote 0
Ok, I ask my grandpa who was member of the 12th SS "Hitlerjugend" and he say he never saw a tank driving thru a building but what he saw was houses where definitly a tank drove thru! The brother of my grandpa who was a member of the 10th Panzerdivision told me that russian tanks often ram into houses and wooden bunkers because they were not so vulnerable against the pieces of the house! He also say his training supervisor tell them to never ram a building!
But theres still the question (beside if it

Upvote 0
It just doesnt make sense to drive right through a house with a tank for whatever reason unless you have to demolish it to make a path for the forces when theres no combat.

Why would you try and get close to a dug in position that most likely has AT weaponry? a PTRD can seriously damage / disable a tank or kill a crew member at that range within this time period and you also put yourself within grenade range...

They just shelled houses and had infantry clear them out after, when you get into a city with multi-story buildings it just becomes obsolete since you dont want to risk a wall collapsing straight ontop of your tank.

Upvote 0