• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Tanking -Ost Front vs RO2

Tanking -Ost Front vs RO2

• Ost Front

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Red Orchestra 2

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
RO Mod and Ostfront were nice, you could leave the tank and keep fighting with your pistol or smg or you'd even had the luck of a friendly tank picking you up.
The main issue with RO2 tanking is that spawning into a tank is quite often not working correctly thus you are trapped in the respawn queue.
The idea of tank gameplay for me was always to fight as a team in the team. A driver, a main gunner and at best a hull gunner. This way you could drive at full speed and hit enemies on the move. Problem is that a lot of people do not listen to your commands via VOIP. Well, some also didn't in RO Mod or Ostfront.

Upvote 0
Depends. I really like the more weighty and interesting armor of RO2's tanks as well as the full environmental immersion, trying to drive a tank in RO1 now feels like a box sliding along the floor. I do miss the verity of RO1 though, especially Mare Nostrum where you went from Panzer IIs to Tigers and all in between. Also the lack of good tanks maps in RO2 hurts it a slight.

Upvote 0
I didn't vote since I didn't play OST, and I can't compare. But... It's too complicated for a casual player and likely not complicated enough for an advanced player is my thought on it.

Do you think any of the features regarding RO2 tanks puts casual players off?

Since there's no 3rd person view, it's hard on non-tank maps or non-CA maps for a new tanker to drive around without getting stuck. The stock maps with single tanks are small and cluttered. As well as the illogical or buggy reasons why you can't destroy or at least drive over some meshes.

I'd venture that RO2 tanks would be best enjoyed with an experienced human crew, but that is not likely to happen. If you're a noob tanker, and tanks always had humans in them, you could join a crew as mg and at least learn how to tank. Where to go on a map, how to protect yourself, etc. Just like now, where a new player can join as a rifleman and follow better players, SL's whatever and learn how to operate in the game.

AI in a tank are annoying. "Yeskomandeer!Yeskomandeer!Yes!Yeskomandeer!"

Then they get killed and you have to climb around to switch seats to drive/gun/drive. Not knowing what keys will switch you to what seat. Meanwhile, you're getting pummeled by either an experienced tanker or opposing ai, who can't miss. It's complicated enough that it's intimidating to someone who hasn't tanked before. They expect cartoon tanks where the tank is just an armored avatar with a big gun, not a small team operating a machine.

Don't forget that if you are the sole tank, and you come even close to sucking, actually, unless you fully dominate, people will ***** and moan the entire round about how you are losing the match for them. It's a role that like being a TL, takes experience and time to master or at least be decent. If there were more tank only maps that were played, where you are only one of many, you can suck and learn. Or, if there was a way to play alongside an experienced tanker.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tanking is mediocre in RO2

Movement speed glitches, paper armor on some tanks and unobtainium armor on other tanks, only 4 tanks total with no assault guns, can't exit your tank (and can't join other tanks because of this), no really good distance tanking maps exist, which also means angling doesn't really matter, etc etc

On the other hand the animations are great, the interiors are very well done, tanks feel like big death machines, and the in-depth damage models make for interesting gameplay

However it's still a horribly half-baked part of RO2, which is sad because tanking is incredibly engaging and fun when it works :(

Upvote 0
Well... Both Games ,old and new have their Pros and Cons on Tanking system but in General RO1 had Far better Tanking. e.g Ro1 had more a variety of Armor and were more Enjoyable and didn't felt like sliding imo . People could easily get out of Tanks if their Tanks were Heavily Damaged and continue further.Tanks were behaving more to reality while shooting the main canon_ in RO2 tanks are like a rearing horse while firing. In RO2 Tanks just feel a bit better while Moving . I will NOT say That full Interiors Enhance the Tanking system cause they DO NOT .Interiors are only Cosmetic stuff(look nice) but They are just Unneeded stuff. Interiors Helped Destroy what Ro1 could offer and also Destroyed Every possibility for a modder to ADD armor in Game.:mad:

Upvote 0
Ostfront Tanking was really great for me in the past. It was a lot of fun to play with my friends, together in one tank or together in a tank platoon.
No Bots inside, turret rotation with WASD and of course the posibility to leave and enter tanks. And Infantry was able to ride on your tank.

Ostfront wasn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you think any of the features regarding RO2 tanks puts casual players off?

Gonna be "that guy" here, but when it comes to causal players I can imagine the lack of leveling or point scoring is a major factor. Be a tank driver rather than a commander? Unless you actually sit in zones that get capped (which you don't always have the opportunity to do so), then you feel like a sucker with 0 points and 0 XP. Even if you do play the gunner / commander and get a bunch of kills, no class XP and no chance of getting any cosmetic fun things for your tank.
I know many don't care for the leveling system (I don't really give a damn) but I imagine the silent majority do.

One thing I think most would agree on, casual or not, is being stuck in a tank. A casual player hops into a tank and finds the driver and gunner are taken. What to do? Sit in the commander seat and have the other guys ignore you (possibly because you don't know what you are doing) or sit in the hull gunner chair, being at the mercy of the driver as to where you aim. Hop out and take another tank? Nope, cant do that.

Upvote 0
Prefer ostfronts tanking overall.

My pet peeve is the mouse aiming in RO2. It doesn't feel as mechanical as using a keyboard and it looks a lot worse when looking at someone aim from the outside.

The interior modeling and animations is in its current implementation not worth it over a higher variety of tanks. If there was some gameplay reasons to actually look around inside the tank it would make for good scenery, but there isn't.

Upvote 0
The interior modeling and animations is in its current implementation not worth it over a higher variety of tanks. If there was some gameplay reasons to actually look around inside the tank it would make for good scenery, but there isn't.
Well there are side vision ports on most positions in most tanks, and it allows use of the periscope in the T34. Although beyond that not much else other than lookin' cool.

Upvote 0