• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tanker classes and the cap zones

LukeFF

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2006
Riverside, California, USA
In Black Day July, there is an artillery observer class on the Soviet side that, when in use, does not count towards personnel needed to defend or capture a cap zone. I'd like to see something like this applied as well to the tanker classes: when not in a tank or assault gun, tankers do not count for anything in the cap zone. The rationale is that too often people use the tanker classes as pseudo-infantry instead of their intended role. Granted, it won't stop people from running around as infantry, but with no purpose to serve outside an AFV I think it would encourage people to use the role properly.

Opinions?

I like it. Many times I've seen tankers use their machines as personnel carriers, moving unscathed across the areas with no cover into a cap zone, unload the crew and go about clearing the cap zones on foot. I usually play as anti-tank infantry and it's quite frustrating when these assault troopers who're trained on tanks appear.

Upvote 0
That's what I like to call "intelligence." Intelligence should be rewarded, not punished.

Right, just like BA-64s zipping across the middle of a battlefield trying to take out enemy tanks. :rolleyes:

Players should be rewarded for proper tactics, not arcade-ish 21st century nonsesne as such found in FPS games. Tankers in WWII were NOT trained to be dismounted infantry - that's why they were given big steel vehicles in the first place!

BTW, this idea does have precedence, in a way. In Combat Mission, the player cannot order tank crews to dismount their tanks, and when they do bail out of their tanks their morale takes a permanent hit, to keep them from being unrealistically used as infantry. As such, it would be a unique and innovative idea for RO, like I mentioned with the Artillery Spotter in the BDJ.

As it is now, tankers in RO are simply infantry with the ability to crew tanks, which should not be so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0