• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tankcommander should call in artillery in his tank

sander

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2006
The Netherlands
One think that bothers me for a long time is that I can't call for an artillery strike in an tank. IRL the command tank could call in artillery while he was in the field without walking towards an radiopost. I don't know how this is for the Russians, but the Germans had an radio in every tank and this was opperated by the "Funker", the crewman who was also firing the hullMG. The Russians didn't had radio's in their tanks, only the commandtank had it I thought.

The tankcommander should call in artillery in his tank.

(another weird thing is that there is only one tankcommander in each tank map while every tank should have an tank commander. Change this to the tank commander of an company of tanks instead of only one tank)

Germans, yes. Russians, no (historically, until late 1944 or there abouts). thus, it's not likely to be implemented for "play balance" reasons.

sigh. :(

Same reason the Germans have the same number of tanks as the Russians, so I wouldn't complain -too- much. ;)

I was under the impression that the German tank radios were short-ranged models for inter tank comms mostly, though.

Upvote 0
Same reason the Germans have the same number of tanks as the Russians, so I wouldn't complain -too- much. ;)

I was under the impression that the German tank radios were short-ranged models for inter tank comms mostly, though.

Havent you seen the Sdkf (whatever ) 222/223, the Panzer 2 and the puma with those huge antennas?

thats what they sould have :p commander tanks ^^

Upvote 0
Unless it has been fixed, when you mark coordinates as tank commander, it's marked where your turret is pointing, not your binoculars.

Flags for russian tanks would be insane, but I don't know the combat usage of them, and the likelyhood that someone would actually use them... well :p

Same reason the Germans have the same number of tanks as the Russians,

Don't the Germans currently have 7 (soon 8) and the Russians only 6? Unless some datasheets are missing...

Upvote 0
i think, we should leave that to ONE single person per game with artillry call. But, on tank maps like Orel, black day July or future ones that might be as bike like the namend one are, we should get a "Befehlspanzer" (tank, with larg radio box, often not issued with a gun) only with this vehicle a tank commander shold be able, to call in artillery.

im not sure what the russians used, but germans did had some of this either with there halftracks or tanks, for calling artillery and coordinating troops in any bigger battle.

as far i konw, most tanks had radios for short distance, but the befehlspanzer (cpecial tank for radio control) a long one

Upvote 0
lets say no to balance, let germans use radio
truth is better than hypocricy

Uhhhh, would hypocricy happen to mean anything like hypocrisy?

Because if it does, your sentence makes exactly zero sense.

Essentially, that sentence was a black hole, ****ing in logic, grammar, and apparently spelling.

On a non-English teacher related note, yeah, lets say no to balance.

Let's make it so that every time you go over 2600 RPM in a Tiger (its optimal running speed), you have a 1 in 5 chance of breaking down and becoming combat ineffective.

Lets make the Germans low on morale and unable to shoot straight on maps like StalingradKessel, because real life would dictate that.

Better yet, lets make the game playable.

Upvote 0
Uhhhh, would hypocricy happen to mean anything like hypocrisy?

Because if it does, your sentence makes exactly zero sense.

Essentially, that sentence was a black hole, ****ing in logic, grammar, and apparently spelling.

On a non-English teacher related note, yeah, lets say no to balance.

Let's make it so that every time you go over 2600 RPM in a Tiger (its optimal running speed), you have a 1 in 5 chance of breaking down and becoming combat ineffective.

Lets make the Germans low on morale and unable to shoot straight on maps like StalingradKessel, because real life would dictate that.

Yeah, exactly. Let's make German guns jam on winter maps because of their congealed gun oil.

Upvote 0
Germans, yes. Russians, no (historically, until late 1944 or there abouts). thus, it's not likely to be implemented for "play balance" reasons.

sigh. :(

Disagree, Soviet Platoon commanders and up had radio on transmit and receive as early as early 1942, while other tanks in the platoon had receive only (Not widely spread of course). That`s why platoon commanders tank was main target, the tank with rather huge antenna hehe. Funny thing that russians actually use to trick germans putting dummy antennas on many tanks in platoon, that did help leader to stay alive longer. Germans had both way radios in every tank.

Also, I think meaning of tank commander is misunderstood in RO. Should be really tank platoon commander in my opinion. Just like we have squad leader for infantry. Would be cool to call arty from the tank tho... will deffinitely bring some new flavor into the game.

I do agree with you Heinz that game balance is the step back from so called realism. I sure hope that RO dev team will stay from it (game balance) as far as possible.

Upvote 0