• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank&Vehicle focused update?

Ok so we all know the last two major updates have been really fun and all, each of them being focused on a certain element. The GOTY update helped with combat and general optimization and gameplay, the Barashka update added gamemode refinements along with additional tools for modders and such. And I know TWI is taking a break on us for the holidays while they try to regain control of the infested moonbase, but I can't help but suggest that for the next update, it should be more focused on Tanks and vehicles.

There are still some things that I'd liked to be looked at or changed for tank combat, there are still various bugs that need to be whacked too, I'd also like to hear what you guys think should be changed/added/fixed to the current tanking system.

THIS IS NOT A NEW VEHICLE SUGGESTIONS THREAD

At this point I'm not really expecting TWI to come out with batches of vehicles, although the support of Blitzk.-Bob's team is good enough for me and very appreciated. So please direct your ideas for new vehicles to Bob's thread :p This thread is to help prioritize what needs to be fixed and what should be added to the current two tanks in RO2 and it's coding and such, it could also make the Vehicle Modding Team's job easier (or harder >:3).

So I'll start with a list of 5 things that should be changed/added/fixed with vehicles (not in any specific order)

1: Make AT rifles less able to murder tanks and more able at disabling them and slowing them down.

2: Fix the error with crew members not properly spawning in tanks and stealing the other crew's seats kicking them out of the tank

3: Add a way to invite specific team mates into your tank even when you lock it.

4: Make infantry able to "button" a tank's view slits and optics temporarily

5: An option for a keyboard controlled turret

6: The ability for tank commanders to be able to pop out of their hatch and shoot their weapons at infantry. Can help with lone engineers trying to run at you.

7: Pushed back tank spawns and/or increased spawn timer for tanks on stock CA maps.

8: Give normal tank commanders the ability to load at least 2 or 3 smoke shells into their tank. On most CA maps where there aren't tank platoon leaders or tank squad leaders it'd help to be able to fire smoke into some places where the nades can't reach.

9: No more insta-switching rounds. When you switch shell types the loader should re-load the round in. There doesn't even have to be an animation for him taking the shell out or anything.

I'd like to hear what you guys think though, do you even want a tank focused update? It'd be nice to give tankers some love, and help pave some of the road for Bob's team too! Discuss.

Last edited:
Vehicle have been put on hold for about a year now, if we keep putting everything in front of them we will never have them. So a vehicle focused update would be appropriate, if not the next patch, at least the one after.

Focusing on fixing the vehicle combat we have now should be a priority as much as adding the light tanks and halftracks.

TWI has not yet given any word about the PZB problem.

This is also a very big problem. Meaning that if a tree branch is directly on your aim, when you target a tank or infantry, it can potentially disturb your shot and make it go into some random place. It probably is also responsible for making your shot miss inexplicably when you are changing stations inside your tank and fire a tank shot before your character actually sees trought the tank gun sight. That also makes using the coax MGs to mow down infantry much easier, at the same time that some times it makes your shot go wild and miss.

As a quick suggestion, all tank MGs as well as fixed MGs could suffer from a degree of overheating. Just not as much as LMGs, since they were not made resistant enough against overheating, which is a shame.

Upvote 0
Weapon wielding tank commanders!

Really! Would you just sit in your steel coffin and wait there to die while some anti-tank infantryman dances around you? Or would you pop out of the hatch and cap his melon?

Please fix the bugs first. The PZb is like a hand held 88 ATM.

T(h)anks in advance :IS2:

Aye, that's a good suggestion too, tank commanders pulling out their guns would be pretty cool, and helpful!

Personally I think the AT guns shouldn't destroy tanks at all, but I don't think that's going to happen unless they officially add in more AT weapons though. But yeah that PZB needs a slight nerf.

On another note, is there any current problems with penetration values? I never dwelved much into those conversations against tank vs tank, but I'd like to know if there are.

Upvote 0
On another note, is there any current problems with penetration values? I never dwelved much into those conversations against tank vs tank, but I'd like to know if there are.

For the most part, armor values and most penetration values are fairly accurate. The one outlier would be the German ATR, which has ~90% of the penetration of the T-34's 76.2mm gun, and is just as likely to detonate ammo and fuel as that much larger and bursting-charge-utilizing round.

After-armor effects may be another matter, but it's still better, and far more in-depth, than most "realistic" games (Such as the Arma series and its straight hitpoint-based vehicles. I wouldn't be surprised if you can still pistol a tank to death in Arma 2 like you could in earlier games of the series).

Upvote 0
The death timer for entering protected areas (spawn/map bounds) are ridicuously short for tanks. I can't even BOOM! back up in the few seconds allowed. Please, either implement a seperate timer for tanks, or increase the current limit.

A Panther with neutral stear can 180 on a dime and get out faster! Unfortunately this is not a vehicle request thread :p

Upvote 0
The death timer for entering protected areas (spawn/map bounds) are ridicuously short for tanks. I can't even BOOM! back up in the few seconds allowed. Please, either implement a seperate timer for tanks, or increase the current limit.

Agreed, if you're going full speed and you accidentally cross into the spawn protection/out of bounds volume you don't have enough time to stop, and turn around and go back, let alone turn around.

Upvote 0
2: Fix the error with crew members not properly spawning in tanks and stealing the other crew's seats kicking them out of the tank

3: Add a way to invite specific team mates into your tank even when you lock it.

...........Discuss.

I pursaded a lot of my arma mates to buy ro2 this last weekend, and they thought the game was pretty good fun - but they (and i) could not believe the problems trying to get organised into tanks together.
I have no issues with the spawn in tank/stay inside tank idea - i can see it's merits, but ffs use some of the time saved by using that system to sort out this mess.
Selecting squads problems extends to infantry maps too (involuntary switches, mandatory death on selection, choices not registering, the bottom squads disappearing from the lists) but christ, in tank maps its unbelievable.

Its honestly embarrassing, to think it's in this state so long after retail relase.

Upvote 0