• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank Hijacking

panzerknacker

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006
Hamburg
Before I start on my rant, let me preempt the realism nazis by saying. Yes in WW2 tanks were crewed by a crew and it is Realism!!1 to have a crew here. But the belligerent powers in ww2 didnt just plop Boris or Dieter the slack jawed drunken peasant farmboy into a pair of uniform coveralls and say "congrats son your a tanker, go get em tiger." They gave them training first, erudition in basic tank tactics i.e. getting blowed up=bad.

On konigs platz the other night I hop in the t34, the commander hops into hull MG and we had a good guy as the gunner. the gunner hops out, gets killed after killing a faust ,and logs. meanwhile I drive over to the right of the monument. The gunner and me proceed to clear the next objectives and are keeping the tiger and enemy infantry away from the siegesaule. Suddenly we see a faust. the gunner hops out to kill the faust. I jump in the turret and suddenly the drivers seat lights up. The gunner pistols the faust and we drive off to his crys of"stop! come back!" Some fool has apparently run all the way across the map, and decided that if the tank is killing germans by the bucket where it is at now it will be killier if he parks it on the reichstags steps. I meanwhile am trying to unload the HE into a group of germans hiding next to the siegesaule wall and load AP to kill the tiger heading for us. While spamming vehicle command stop. No use he turns left as I fire and I take out a group of russians :( in front of the siegesaule. Now I do not know why every guy who hops into your tank after its parked somewhere doing a nice job thinks the name of the game is Joust and the object is to stab the enemy tank with your gun barrel higher then his is, but that is precisely what this guy thinks. We ram the tiger, get blowed up, respawn and he goes back to charging the enemy tank with ours.

Now I have quite a few of these experiances and I think tanks should be left as they are at spawn. Its after the tank leaves spawn that you should have the ability to lock the hatchs or something. This will never be implemented in RO anyway of course.

Owing the other team in a Stug or SU is quite common for me to have someone who doesnt know basic tank usage, nor listens voice commands hop in and drive with out asking first, then getting us killed by not turning so I can shoot and shouting "shoot the tank n00b" is quite frustrating. On occasions when I spawn as a tanker and the tank doesnt pop back into spawn in the next 10 secs, I run out pick up a gun and start helping the team. On rare occasions I hop into an occupied tank, I either go mg, or if none I ask the tanker what the plan is. I do not decide to drive the tank at full speed across the map. Or empty the guns HE supply shooting at dead cows, clouds, and friendlys.

If you are no good at driving or shooting in tanks, pop a ritalin, and google tank tactics and read that a bit while at work or something before Starting RO jumping into peoples tanks without asking and proceeding to play mariokart with them. Learning something about tanks beats eating cheeseits and watching Lazytown.

The other night I got to see a hijacker get his just reward though. It was on wateverovko. I was tank commander we captured kolchaz and I went across the front lines to the railyard. I see a faust pop out of the ruined building taking aim at the other t-34 in front. I jump out and smg him just as he blows up the "friendly" Well good luck he hopped out to. I get back in my tank and drive over to pick him up. Another man helping cap the railyard could prove useful I think, he runs over hops in. I am typing "ok lets get railyard" when he starts spamming vehicle command "get out" So I say what do you mean get out? He replys "I have skills and need to have a tank for myself" I think well yes you had a tank for yourself but you got sploded and now you are in my tank. I told him I am not getting out. He replys "I am better then you, I need this tank" quick look at scoreboard shows my name at the top with a lot of points, he is near the bottom with 0. You had a tank, you lost your tank. Now you can run back to spawn and get a new one, or you can calm down act like an adult rather then a 14y/o with RO "achievements" and we can cap railyard. He shouts over chat"GET THE **** OUT OF MY TANK!!!" he then proceed to start shooting HE into the near walls damaging us. I drive back to spawn thinking fine he can have this old wreck,( I got fausted earlier but without any skills HEed the fauster.;) ) Meanwhile he is spamming get out and throwing a temper tantrum on how I am not letting him use HIS tank, if he used this tank we will win and the grateful nations of earth will pronounce him IRL emp0rer for life. Then Justice, the admin says "is there a problem here" Meanwhile a few others by now are telling the admin this guy is being a tool. I drive into spawn, we both hop out and sprint to the next tank, when suddenly he disapears, and the admin says I love a good banning in the evening.

Ok in conclusion dont jump in peoples tanks unless you know what you are doing or are willing to learn and are not a tool. Good day.

My advice is to play on adminned servers that frown on this sort of behavior. I know when we ran our FH server, it was a big no-no to grab the (2-seater) mobile artillery and drive off at random. The artillery was notoriously thin-skinned and easy to kill, but could be a powerful asset when used properly. Teams that worked together were fine, but generally speaking, stealing someone else's artillery was worthy of being kicked from the server at least.

WOLF isn't running combined arms or tank-only maps right now, but if we start again, I suspect we'll implement this rule.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the well written, well described Post.

I enjoyed reading it, it gave me a few good laughs.

I am a horrible tanker and usually I rather drive alone if possible.
If someone jumps in... not a problem, I will either try my best to listen to his advice or walk away...

As long as he does not try to kick me out of my own tank...

Upvote 0
Panzerknacker,

I fully agree with you. If i can give players a lesson how to drive a tank,
i will certainly do it. There are many players who doesnt know how to act
with a certain tank.
This week i was a gunner and i told a driver to turn. He didnt.
Also after 3 times asking we got killed. I asked him why he didnt turn.
He replied that he didnt understood what to do.
We were in a tiger so we had to turn a little to the opponent.
After this happening i took him as a gunner and gave him a lesson.
We didn`t dye that round. And i think he enjoyed it because that
evening he was constantly my gunner.

This evening i had a bad driver. Didnt listen so we got blasted often at
koenigsplatz. Certainly at Siegesaule the motor drives and we cant further
by an obstacle.
The admin warned him to stop downloading. So he wasnt totaly with his brain
at this game. And i was becoming irritated. Why did he step in a tank.

But there are also many bad tankgunners. That`s another story.

Upvote 0
Im not realy against when a player jumps into my tank but I realy hate when a racecar driver jumps into my tank. They just put the pedal to the metal and hope they can dodge shells and fausts and sometimes when I try to aim at a enemy and shoot they suddenly start driving at the last moment and the shell misses. That realy makes me angry
cursin.gif

Upvote 0
I dont mind team tank if the player is willing to be either TC or driver and give/follow commands. Team work is what it is all about! But nothing worse when you are in a hull down position taking fire and dishing out fire and here comes along so and so and just full throttle out of the battle position!!!

You know you are gonna be in for a rough ride when you are just about to fire when OTTO gets in the driver seat and decides to go in circles!! LOL!!

Upvote 0
I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with such an irritating situation panzerknacker, hopefully it wont happen again too soon.

I havent had to deal with it very often, most of my occurances actually involved the bots instead of actual players, but it is very irritating when it does happen, when you have that perfect shot or the exact positions to cause some real havok, and than its taken away from you just like that.

Its real dissapointing, but things like this are to be expected, and we can only hope that when it happens to us we can talk some sence into the player in question.

Upvote 0
Before I start on my rant, let me preempt the realism nazis by saying. Yes in WW2 tanks were crewed by a crew and it is Realism!!1 to have a crew here. But the belligerent powers in ww2 didnt just plop Boris or Dieter the slack jawed drunken peasant farmboy into a pair of uniform coveralls and say "congrats son your a tanker, go get em tiger." They gave them training first, erudition in basic tank tactics i.e. getting blowed up=bad.

On konigs platz the other night I hop in the t34, the commander hops into hull MG and we had a good guy as the gunner. the gunner hops out, gets killed after killing a faust ,and logs. meanwhile I drive over to the right of the monument. The gunner and me proceed to clear the next objectives and are keeping the tiger and enemy infantry away from the siegesaule. Suddenly we see a faust. the gunner hops out to kill the faust. I jump in the turret and suddenly the drivers seat lights up. The gunner pistols the faust and we drive off to his crys of"stop! come back!" Some fool has apparently run all the way across the map, and decided that if the tank is killing germans by the bucket where it is at now it will be killier if he parks it on the reichstags steps. I meanwhile am trying to unload the HE into a group of germans hiding next to the siegesaule wall and load AP to kill the tiger heading for us. While spamming vehicle command stop. No use he turns left as I fire and I take out a group of russians :( in front of the siegesaule. Now I do not know why every guy who hops into your tank after its parked somewhere doing a nice job thinks the name of the game is Joust and the object is to stab the enemy tank with your gun barrel higher then his is, but that is precisely what this guy thinks. We ram the tiger, get blowed up, respawn and he goes back to charging the enemy tank with ours.

Now I have quite a few of these experiances and I think tanks should be left as they are at spawn. Its after the tank leaves spawn that you should have the ability to lock the hatchs or something. This will never be implemented in RO anyway of course.

Owing the other team in a Stug or SU is quite common for me to have someone who doesnt know basic tank usage, nor listens voice commands hop in and drive with out asking first, then getting us killed by not turning so I can shoot and shouting "shoot the tank n00b" is quite frustrating. On occasions when I spawn as a tanker and the tank doesnt pop back into spawn in the next 10 secs, I run out pick up a gun and start helping the team. On rare occasions I hop into an occupied tank, I either go mg, or if none I ask the tanker what the plan is. I do not decide to drive the tank at full speed across the map. Or empty the guns HE supply shooting at dead cows, clouds, and friendlys.

If you are no good at driving or shooting in tanks, pop a ritalin, and google tank tactics and read that a bit while at work or something before Starting RO jumping into peoples tanks without asking and proceeding to play mariokart with them. Learning something about tanks beats eating cheeseits and watching Lazytown.

The other night I got to see a hijacker get his just reward though. It was on wateverovko. I was tank commander we captured kolchaz and I went across the front lines to the railyard. I see a faust pop out of the ruined building taking aim at the other t-34 in front. I jump out and smg him just as he blows up the "friendly" Well good luck he hopped out to. I get back in my tank and drive over to pick him up. Another man helping cap the railyard could prove useful I think, he runs over hops in. I am typing "ok lets get railyard" when he starts spamming vehicle command "get out" So I say what do you mean get out? He replys "I have skills and need to have a tank for myself" I think well yes you had a tank for yourself but you got sploded and now you are in my tank. I told him I am not getting out. He replys "I am better then you, I need this tank" quick look at scoreboard shows my name at the top with a lot of points, he is near the bottom with 0. You had a tank, you lost your tank. Now you can run back to spawn and get a new one, or you can calm down act like an adult rather then a 14y/o with RO "achievements" and we can cap railyard. He shouts over chat"GET THE **** OUT OF MY TANK!!!" he then proceed to start shooting HE into the near walls damaging us. I drive back to spawn thinking fine he can have this old wreck,( I got fausted earlier but without any skills HEed the fauster.;) ) Meanwhile he is spamming get out and throwing a temper tantrum on how I am not letting him use HIS tank, if he used this tank we will win and the grateful nations of earth will pronounce him IRL emp0rer for life. Then Justice, the admin says "is there a problem here" Meanwhile a few others by now are telling the admin this guy is being a tool. I drive into spawn, we both hop out and sprint to the next tank, when suddenly he disapears, and the admin says I love a good banning in the evening.

Ok in conclusion dont jump in peoples tanks unless you know what you are doing or are willing to learn and are not a tool. Good day.

So you are real tanker? Jumping off tanks and killing fausts with SMG or pistol? Not anyway realistic, it is just as realistic as some jerk driving around madly with tank.

It takes time to get inside tank and get outside tank in real world, no real tanker would get out their tanks to kill fausts or any infantry, they would use MG's or tank gun for that.

I have been in some tanks and noticed that too many "tankers" hop in and out their tanks like they are somekind of transport vehicles. What we really need is realistic 10 seconds timeout for jumping in/out tank.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So you are real tanker? Jumping off tanks and killing fausts with SMG or pistol? Not anyway realistic, it is just as realistic as some jurk driving around madly with tank.

It takes time to get inside tank and get outside tank in real world, no real tanker would get out their tanks to kill fausts or any infantry, they would use MG's or tank gun for that.

I have been in some tanks and noticed that too many "tankers" hop in and out their tanks like they are somekind of transport vehicles. What we really need is realistic 10 seconds timeout for jumping in/out tank.
He wasn't really complaining about that... I think he was complaining about the retards who jump into friendly tanks and drive them straight into enemy territory/ditches/enemy tank cannon barrels/ mines. And also those who tell people to "GET OUT OF MY TANK!

Upvote 0
I am all for the realistic in/out times. I am gonna do it just like everyone else until it is fixed though.

It is your choise. You don't have to play like others, you can play as realistically as you like. I usually drive over those fausters or gun them down. I am not going to jump off until tank is nearly destroyed and I have to bail out. And make sure infantry is protecting your tank in combined maps also.

Upvote 0