• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank crew: loader... what if he dies?

That:
CCCP said:
There will be extra animation for gunner I'm sure and this will slow you and give you less time to aim. Plus this explain Ramm sick logic of shooting loader just to make gunner on opposing tank suffer :)
That:
Mormegil said:
I think TWI also considers it realistic that if the loader gets killed, somebody else in the tank can load. It'll take longer, but I dont' see why it's physically impossible for the gunner to squeeze in and reload the breach, and go back to his seat.

That's like saying if an MGer infantry gets killed, that MG can no longer be used. Of course somebody else can and will grab it if given a chance, and use it.
And that:
DiedTrying said:
Nylle said:
And if you want to do annything about it someone would have to sit at the loaders place and play that "loading mini game".
1. Going to "that supply-place-thingy" and instantly getting a fresh loader isn't realistic
2. Tankers are trained in all aspects of their tank, if someone is hurt someone else can fill in. It wasn't uncommon for loaders to die in WW2, and the tankers didn't abandon their tank or go to a resupply thingy, they took the extra time to reload the shells or had the hull MGer load.
3. Mini games are not fun, not even sure how you would implement shell loading that would make it any fun or realistic in any way.

Points 1. and 2. I agree with very much.
Point 3.: "mini-game" could be made quite simple: say, holding "R" (reload key) for a few seconds could make the player move to the loader seat. Then, something like a well-timed press of the "R" key (at some appropriate time) would optimize reload time, so a perfect timing gives a reload time equal to that of the AI loader (+ the time it takes to move to his seat, of course), whereas a bad timing gives a penalty. Not pressing the "R" key falls somewhere between the two. It's simplistic, it's shamelessly borrowed from Gears of Wars, but it adds that little "hey, I'm doing something! And I my good timing makes me reload better" element to engage the player somewhat in the otherwise very passive (for the player: no input) animation of going from the gunner seat to the loader seat and reload.

Feel very free to disagree :p

Of course another, simpler solution would be to order a remaining AI crew member to reload the cannon when it's empty (so as the gunner, say when you simply press "R" (without holding it), an AI moves from his position to load the cannon, then moves back to his original seat).

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if by any chance the loader becomes playable I believe a simple 2 key combination plus a third to choose ammunition is sufficient.

x key to pick the shell and insert it in the cannon
y key to pull the lever or whatever they did to lock the cannon "door" thingy

z key to choose between ammunition

but you make a point, a good loader could significantly decrease reloading time thus making the process more efficient, that delay on the reload could spell the difference between making the other one die for his country or becoming a hulk of worthless steel.

Upvote 0
I absolutley agree with you guys! Instantly resupplying a gunner/loader is not realistic. And yes indeed, the commander or gunenr should be able to load the gun. Why I say commander is because tank commanders are trained in all aspects of a tank, and gunner just because you gys said it and it might not be so bad.
I would be werry dissapointed if the loader can only be AI and if he dies you would just recive a loding speed penalty.
Once again, how can you not agrre with SheepDip, that sheep is jus so f*ing cute! =)

Upvote 0
I'll repeat what I said in the other thread:

Ok, so now that we know that other AI will substitute the loader until you run out of AIs

I'm thinking that this will discourage filling a tank with human players, because the loader dying would force them to resupply, giving an advantage to solo tankers who don't need to.

I have an idea to fix this, without compromising the ideal TWI had.

Make it playable, but ONLY after the AI loader dies, so any player can move there and do the job in case of an emergency.

Upvote 0
A human loader could enable the tank to reload faster. Giving your tank a higher rate of fire then a tank with an AI loader.

ding.

That and what fed said, which I said on the IRC but dident get a responce too. Many things in the game (manual bolting or automatic) give the player the ability to do it just a wee bit faster or better then the automatic easier counterpart. No reason why it shouldent apply here.

Upvote 0
If the tank loader is unplayable, what happens if he gets killed?

If the tank loader is unplayable, what happens if he gets killed?

You can't play as the loader crewman, if he gets killed I imagine one of the AI teammates will fill his position (assuming the AI crew are able to change positions in the tank like a player), but what happens if the other 3 crewmen are players? Does someone have to choose to basically respawn while the character they were playing is given over to AI so he can take the loader position?

Upvote 0
somewhere in one of the previous threads on the loader question this came up (anyone that's doing a use-search post give us a page number instead of leaving us to dredge 3 pages at a time forwards/backwards through the thread) and I believe it's stiff-****-you-load-by-hand. which is quite reasonable, considering the alternative would be, as you said, to have a crewman essentially commit suicide, then follow that up with a real-life suicide waiting for the tank to die and respawn on one of the fantastically-large tanking maps :p

Upvote 0