• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank battles in RO are Garbage.

I liked the tanks when I first started playing but now I find myself playing infantry even on the big tank maps. Main reason is too often my clanmates and I would be left standing at the spawn without a tank because the rest of the team had taken all the tanks solo. There we are with a full 3 man crew and no tank to work with.

At spawn everyone just seems to head to a tank alone, if they see someone in a tank they'll run to the next one, etc.

One fix I could see for that would be to make the delay for "waiting for other crew members" longer dependent on how many players are outside tanks, or based on how many seats are filled within the tank. Ie, you go solo then you wait 20-30 seconds to start moving, fill 2 seats you can move in 10-15, fill all 3 and you can move immediately. I think there is a rudimentary thing like that already in play but maybe it isn't a long enough delay to discourage the solo tankers.

Of course adding extra delay to switch from driver to gunner would also slow down the solo-tanking issue.

It would likely be a good idea to base the above delays on how many actual players in game, so if there are more tanks than players the delay isn't quite so bad or something.

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
No tank shell should ever richochet off of a BA, there isn't even deflection code for the BA, as its armor is too weak to deflect tank shells. With that said, we've recently discovered some bugs with the tank shell/AT Rifle/Panzerfaust projectile penetration system. Essentially it seems that the internal component damage part of the system isn't working properly due to a bug. We'll definitely have this fixed in the next patch.
Acknowledgement! :D :D :D

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
No tank shell should ever richochet off of a BA, there isn't even deflection code for the BA, as its armor is too weak to deflect tank shells. With that said, we've recently discovered some bugs with the tank shell/AT Rifle/Panzerfaust projectile penetration system. Essentially it seems that the internal component damage part of the system isn't working properly due to a bug. We'll definitely have this fixed in the next patch.

Uh sorry double post

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:

LOL yeah not like anyone has been citing it for the past month and a half or anything :rolleyes:

Must of been the "few isolated instances" finally were revealed :cool:

Upvote 0
Jack said:
LOL yeah not like anyone has been citing it for the past month and a half or anything :rolleyes:

Must of been the "few isolated instances" finally were revealed :cool:

Actually the problem is that fixing a different bug with tank shells late in the development actually broke something in the penetration system and noone caught it. I guess we just all thought our aim started sucking and we couldn't hit the internal componts of the tanks any more :)

Upvote 0
Along with the damage models....it would be nice for you guys to also fix the ballistics of the projectiles of all the AT weapons. The Panzerfaust for insytance, it has an explosive charge in the head, it should cause the same damage from any range.....unlike an AT rifle, which like an AT shell looses power with range. Also, you guys really need to work out the super-elevation and the trajectory data for the individual tank rounds. These tanks almost hit every time they are aimed at a target. Tanks of this period were just not that effective. They had balistic reticles, and were a real pain to get something to actually land on target, especially at range.

Upvote 0
Personally I think the tank round velocity model is nice. Rounds drop quite a lot at range. Especially the lighter tanks.

Something I've noticed that could use a little tweak...

Upon firing a tank round the turret should be slightly displaced so that the gunner needs to re-aim just a little bit for the next shot. Kinda bugs me being able to simply fire another round at exactly the same spot again without having to re-aim in the slightest. Should be some slight turret displacement after firing the cannon to keep our gunners true.

You're doing a great job RO team. Keep up the good work. This game kicks ass.
icon4.gif

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
Actually the problem is that fixing a different bug with tank shells late in the development actually broke something in the penetration system and noone caught it. I guess we just all thought our aim started sucking and we couldn't hit the internal componts of the tanks any more :)

Could this explain why upon release, people were talking about how they could get consistent 1 shot "catastrophic" kills during the beta, but only 2 shot kills in the full game?

Also, knocking out turret traverse and individual crew members would be a great addition.

Upvote 0
Pzt_Wruff said:
Something I've noticed that could use a little tweak...

Upon firing a tank round the turret should be slightly displaced so that the gunner needs to re-aim just a little bit for the next shot. Kinda bugs me being able to simply fire another round at exactly the same spot again without having to re-aim in the slightest. Should be some slight turret displacement after firing the cannon to keep our gunners true.

You're doing a great job RO team. Keep up the good work. This game kicks ass.
icon4.gif
Totally agree i noticed that too along with others on these forums.

Upvote 0
Pz502_swiss said:
These tanks almost hit every time they are aimed at a target. Tanks of this period were just not that effective. They had balistic reticles, and were a real pain to get something to actually land on target, especially at range.

Actually the Panzerfaust will get looked at too, as Ramm stated above, and the more experienced Tank Crews could hit on the first or second shot at ranges above 1500m, and we only fight at 400 to 800m in Ostfront. So thats okay in my book :).

One should also consider that Players tend to get better as People in RL, since we can learn from deadly mistakes.

Upvote 0
Hi!

Yesterday was a single very bad day of mine in gaming.
The tank battles are not Garbage, but yesterday lota BS ran together for me.

RO is still the best so far, no question.

In regards with the BA I seen the shell bounce off completely to the left leaving a patch of black smoke. That means it damaged the BA but didnt destroy it.

ANYYYYYWAAAyyyyz.
I am going to play again and whenever I go to Arad I will play PAK soldat and cover the butt of some of the fellow tankers, and still get the joy of killing the little rats :D

Thumbs up all, all is cool, Im vented off and ready to play.

Upvote 0
Today was the best day of my RO history so far.

I play as a Panzerjager on Arad (stricktly no tanks).
ANd I achieved remarkable results with the PAK soldat.
I finished the highest score and had a lot of fun.

I just followed the tanks going to the South Field and protected them from the evil BA rambo sappers.
The results were amazing, I managed to take out thos things and the tanks were able to fight freely.
Teamwork was very rewarding.
Especially when other PAK soldats hanged around with me thus making the effectivity of the PAK soldats higher. we took out a lot of tankjs, BAs and infantry.
Also the North Village thrived of enemy activity and I had a lot of kills.
MAN IT WAS FUN.

I felt indestructable when I had the following:
1 PPSH 41, 2 Steilhandgranate, 3 PzFausts, 2 Satchel Charges

I picked all these up from dead Infantry.

Today was a very satisfying day :D

Upvote 0
Only way you could implement position switching delays to prevent solo tanking is only if it done when there are say 6 or more tankers on a side. It is totally unfair to implement such a system on a server with less than 6 tankers on a side as it is idiotic to leave assets off the field which means solo tanking is needed.

I also think another way to deal with solo tanking on full servers is to try communicating with other tankers. All this solo tanking cry baby **** is getting tedious and the game doesn't need any change over it's current implementation with regards to tank crewing.

That being said, some of the most impressive objective ownage results on tank maps have been done as an inf player. Load up with a Kar98 and panzerfausts and have a ball. It's a little harder as a Red but those buggies get you aound the battle field pretty quick.

Upvote 0
Tanks driving off leaving people in the spawn is mostly a function of reinforcement wave timing. If the waves are too close together, you get only a few people spawning in one wave and occupying all the tanks as solo crew. They can then drive off because there's no dismounted crew nearby so the timer ends quickly. Then the next wave spawns and there's no tanks, or the only tanks there are, are just heading over the hill.

Space the reinforcement waves a little further apart and it's less likely you'll get small numbers of people spawning and driving all your tanks away solo.

There's also no need for a time delay switching positions inside the tank if you disable positions that take a penetrating hit. There are already penalties (in longer reload times) and disadvantages (lower situational awareness, unable to angle and do coarse aiming at the same time, unable to reload while jockeying) to solo tanking and these are sufficient (to me anyway) to make dual crews a much better option.

I agree there needs to be an exit animation as otherwise it's too hard to stalk tanks with infantry, something that is difficult enough as it without unrealistic fully-armed tank crews appearing like magic just as you're about to let off a PF or turf a satchel at them.

Regards

Upvote 0
Golf33 said:
I agree there needs to be an exit animation as otherwise it's too hard to stalk tanks with infantry, something that is difficult enough as it without unrealistic fully-armed tank crews appearing like magic just as you're about to let off a PF or turf a satchel at them.

Yes but then you need to add in the ability to toss grenades from the tank. You probably have more then 2/crew member also. At least for the Tiger. I was reading a situation report by Otto Carius how he was able to fight off an infantry attack using the tank's grenades.

Upvote 0