• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

System freeze at level start

table

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 1, 2010
The last two attempts to play the game have ended with a complete system freeze near a level start. I don't know the name of the level, it's the second occasion you're flushed down a pipe and enter the level from water. Crash #1, As I emerged from water - PC froze with sound looping. Crash #2, At immediate level start, still in water - push ball to proceed - PC froze with sound looping.

On both occasions I had to power down the computer with a long-press on the power switch. I've played virtually every FPS and FPRPG released on the PC in the last seven years on this machine without a single CTD, freeze or blue-screen.

Here's "Launch-backup-2010.11.30-23.51.28.log" (the last time I attempted to run the game):
http://pastebin.com/E1SRbbAb
Notice it cuts off without any error.

Specs:
Dell Optiplex GX620
MS Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP3 (fully up to date)
Intel P4 531 Prescott 3 Ghz
2GB Dual Channel DDR2
Hanns.G HW191 @ 1440x900
ATI Radeon 4670 512MB (Catalyst 10.11)
250GB Samsung Spinpoint F1
Aureon 5.1 Fun

I'm currently playing UT3, Bioshock and Singularity, all demanding Unreal engine games at my monitors native res and at full quality, without problems - my computer has never frozen before.

There is also a AllowD3D10=False right below, you may want to try setting that to True.

That won't work in Windows XP will it?

I haven't had any problems with the latest Unreal engine with UT 3, Bioshock, Singularity (a shovel-ware console port with texture streaming problems before the first patch) and the rubbish Blacksite: Area 51, Legendary and Turning Point. Steam and every Valve game works well and I even managed to play through Crysis and Crysis Warhead (very slowly) several times without a single freeze, blue-screen or CTD.

Only The Ball has ever made my computer freeze.

Upvote 0