• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Switching shells with patch

That's a good point, switching a round without firing it off should be an option, but it'll require another key to be binded just for that function.

Oftentimes, however, most RO maps don't give you that much liberty to sit back and switch tank shells (cough, cough, ARAD), so more than likely, you'll have no time to be switching tank rounds without making use of the loaded shell.

Upvote 0
[DA]DIZ said:
so if i see a Tiger fleeing from my IS-2 i cant just load a HE round to take out his tracks, i gotta shoot the loaded AP round first ? Well thats a pitty...
But if the loading is 100% realistic now i dont mind...

Well, in that scenario, wouldn't it make sense to shoot off your loaded round at the Tiger, and let it reload into HE after firing it off, therefore not wasting the loaded round by switching it? You fire off two rounds for the price of one that way, and you'll do more damage.

Upvote 0
Mobius One said:
That's a good point, switching a round without firing it off should be an option, but it'll require another key to be binded just for that function.

Oftentimes, however, most RO maps don't give you that much liberty to sit back and switch tank shells (cough, cough, ARAD), so more than likely, you'll have no time to be switching tank rounds without making use of the loaded shell.

Actually the change was good on 2 parts. 1) The users requested it. 2) Many of these tanks you actually could not remove the shell from the gun once it had been loaded, so it has added to the realism.

Upvote 0
Cordite said:
you can't, it's more realistic this way anyhow, as I recall people saying that once the shell is loaded into the breach you wouldn't want to take it back out anyway/or couldn't take it back out.

excatly, this is even a standart today in german tanks. As soon you loaded a shell, you only fire it, or take it out for dispose.

Upvote 0
Shadowman said:
I've found it to be a big improvement, especially in the CA maps like Konigs where you need to switch a lot. Saves the double loading time, and it's usually much more convenient to fire the wrong kind of round at your target than it is to have to wait and fire nothing at all.

Indeed, and remember, that your enemy is probably not going to know, nor care, what type of shell your firing at him. Just the fact that you are firing should be enough to force them into cover while you reload.

As mentioned, even in modern tanks, it is simply not viable to unload a round once it's been rammed into the breech. The commander usually identifies a target and its type and tells the gunner which round to load next. Then the gunner simply fires off whatever round is sitting in the breech. Even if its a HEAT round against a tank, it might still do some damage.

Upvote 0
Conscript said:
Indeed, and remember, that your enemy is probably not going to know, nor care, what type of shell your firing at him. Just the fact that you are firing should be enough to force them into cover while you reload.

As mentioned, even in modern tanks, it is simply not viable to unload a round once it's been rammed into the breech. The commander usually identifies a target and its type and tells the gunner which round to load next. Then the gunner simply fires off whatever round is sitting in the breech. Even if its a HEAT round against a tank, it might still do some damage.
HEAT rounds are veeeeeery damaging to tanks.

They're basically a panzerfaust in a shell. Of course, kinetic penetration was preferred, and their damage depended on the warhead size(the bigger cannon the better).

Upvote 0