• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Surviving nearby 'nade should make your ears ring

Tummel

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2011
Assuming you survived that 'nade just around the corner, the blast impact could:

- demoralize you (or does it already, couldn't remember?)
- cause slight walking balance issues, your inner ear won't like it
- cause your ears to ring (damp all other voices by -20...-30db, play tinnitus sound in foreground
- gradually over 5-10 secs slide dampening back to e.g. -5dB and leave slight ringing in background to remind you survived a grenade - but your ears did not really like it

That sounds cool. Should also happen when firing the cannon of a tank or when firing an MG for a certain amount of time.

I think there should at least be a ring in you ear. Maybe you should suffer maximum suppression effect when the nade goes off (to simulate the shock/closing your eyes). I think you'll be scared ****less when it happens to you irl so it should be the same in game. It shouldn't last longer then about 5-10 seconds however.

When you throw the grenade yourself the effects should be less because you'll be expecting the blast so the shock will be less. Ear ringing should stay but the suppression should be less.

This would improve immersion by utilizing some things that are already in the game/pretty easy to implement. Great idea OP :)

Upvote 0
Interesting suggestions. I'd also like it if grenades were more effective at suppressing the enemy as well.

"Small" details like these would add a good bit more detail to the game, and make battles more intense. Similar things should be done for tanks as well, and not only just when the main gun fires. Tanks don't feel big enough, the ground should rumble when a tank drives close to you.

I think tinnitus is over-done in a lot of games, but if done well it can create a feeling of, "Phew! That nade almost got me, glad it didn't."

Upvote 0
No thanks. Muffled sounds? Sure. Tinnitus? I already got that. No need for games to make my ears ring even more.
I have to go with this. Deadening sounds can be a nice effect both in atmosphere and gameplay, but tinnitus ringing has got to be one of the more annoying things ever encountered in video games. It's fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Upvote 0
I'm sure if a grenade goes off 10m away from me in real life I'm hearing/feeling normal just seconds after it goes off.
If a grenade goes off 10m away from you, you're probably dead :D

RO2 intentionally underpowers its grenades. It would be a bit weird for them to get a giant debilitation radius so that they wind up getting used like flashbangs instead.

Upvote 0
If they're going that route, they would need to up the volume of EVERY weapon in the game substantially. Frankly, with all the indoor firing we do in game the entire game would have to be a series of muddled pops and muffled indistinguishable shouting with a background of steady ringing in the few quiet spots.

That might be immersive for some, but it's certainly not going to be any fun.

I can support more in-game effect for grenades, but not at the expense of playability.

Upvote 0
If they're going that route, they would need to up the volume of EVERY weapon in the game substantially. Frankly, with all the indoor firing we do in game the entire game would have to be a series of muddled pops and muffled indistinguishable shouting with a background of steady ringing in the few quiet spots.

That might be immersive for some, but it's certainly not going to be any fun.

I can support more in-game effect for grenades, but not at the expense of playability.
good point. irl, you shoot off a smg in a room and you're not hearing much at all for a little while. rifle fire in a room? forget about it! but thay can't really do that in the game. we'd all be running around never hearing a thing.
i do think the ringing noise and suppresion should last a bit longer when a nade goes off near you though. those are special weapons. you're only supplied two of them. my ppsh? i think i get 355 rounds with that!

Upvote 0
I don't think anyone is suggesting to make in-game sounds as loud as RL, but with some subtle sound effects (or lack of) TW could simulate the effects of loud explosions or prolonged gunfire.

Making a proper system for sounds in-game causes footsteps and talking to be almost as loud as gunfire. In order to add listening as a battlefield tactic, either guns need to be quiter, footsteps louder, or a mix of both. So how to best simulate short-term hearing loss? TW could attempt to make something like audio HDR. Instead of your "eyes" adjusting to changes in light, there is very temporary (and subtle) adjustment after loud sounds. The duration and intesity could vary from gun to gun, all the way up to artillery.

Just a quick brainstorm, but I doubt the time spent on developing such a system could be justified.

Upvote 0