• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Survival coop

NorthDumpling

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
So, i really want to see in this upcoming game new game type. It's gonna be Survival coop where you have to defend yourself and your Heli crew members in place where you've been crashed behind the enemy lines.
Here are some basis of gameplay and scenario steps:
1)Randomly chooses one of 2-6 players with leg wound and one of your crew member suppose to carry him from point to point.
2)First 2-3 waves you have to take position of your crash site and defend yourself.
3)From 3 to 6-8 waves you have to keep moving and your objective is to find evacuation point.
4)To find evac. point you have to activate radio in nearby enemy house
Note. Most of your team could stay at crash site but
1-2 men have to search for the radio and call rescue team.
5)On map exist a lot of secret information enemy's recon and you have to collect them to get closer to next level( Like GOLD CASH in KF2).
Most of the maps have to be with dark atmosphere, maybe rain, whispy dust and etc.to make player more uncomfortable in this war

I'm not really inclined to want that kind of game mode in a franchise like RO(now passing the torch to RS) mainly because it will just give off the impression of typical brainless Hollywood enemy infantry(my first thought was of the cringe worthy scene near the end of Fury where one Sherman crew is just seemingly mowing down an entire battalion of supposed SS troops). Both sides of RS should be portrayed as very capable and deadly, not as fodder.

Mind you I'm not against interesting game modes, but I don't think co-op "horde mode-esq" wave defense fits well with what the franchise tries to capture in it's gameplay

Upvote 0
Im all for things that will make coop more interesting or objective based. The boy servers in RO/RS are always so boring. If the AI gets a serious beef I'd like some coop only maps/scenarios.
A game mode like this would work best in a Firebase/NDP defense scenario.
A team of Americans defends a position for x amount of time with out being overrun. Like Maggot Hill except the base is the entire map.
If the base gets overrun (the command post being taken) then the players can no longer spawn and air assets can no longer be used unless the enemy is pushed out of the CP. This game mode should have AI controlled mortar strikes for the VC/NVA.
If the enemies aren't pushed out then the game would end after all they US players are killed or if they escape via helicopter maybe.

Don't get me wrong, I feel like your idea could and still be realistic. Some things I would change would be that the crew would have to defend their helicopter until another squad of characters arrived to rescue them. The rescue team could be recon or general special forces, just so we can see some representation of other branches in game.
The helicopter crew can call in air assets to help keep the NVA/VC back during this period, but once the rescue team arrives it would all be up to the players. Once the crash site is left players should only be able to spawn so long as the SL or helicopter crew chief are alive, if they die then the players can't spawn for the remainder of the game.
The players can then traverse the map in different ways to get a suitable landing zone for extraction.

This all depends on the AI though, because I agree that both sides need to be portrayed as capable and deadly, bots or not.

Upvote 0
Im all for things that will make coop more interesting or objective based. The boy servers in RO/RS are always so boring. If the AI gets a serious beef I'd like some coop only maps/scenarios.
A game mode like this would work best in a Firebase/NDP defense scenario.
A team of Americans defends a position for x amount of time with out being overrun. Like Maggot Hill except the base is the entire map.
If the base gets overrun (the command post being taken) then the players can no longer spawn and air assets can no longer be used unless the enemy is pushed out of the CP. This game mode should have AI controlled mortar strikes for the VC/NVA.
If the enemies aren't pushed out then the game would end after all they US players are killed or if they escape via helicopter maybe.

Don't get me wrong, I feel like your idea could and still be realistic. Some things I would change would be that the crew would have to defend their helicopter until another squad of characters arrived to rescue them. The rescue team could be recon or general special forces, just so we can see some representation of other branches in game.
The helicopter crew can call in air assets to help keep the NVA/VC back during this period, but once the rescue team arrives it would all be up to the players. Once the crash site is left players should only be able to spawn so long as the SL or helicopter crew chief are alive, if they die then the players can't spawn for the remainder of the game.
The players can then traverse the map in different ways to get a suitable landing zone for extraction.

This all depends on the AI though, because I agree that both sides need to be portrayed as capable and deadly, bots or not.
Yeah, i'd like that more than i describe it in easier way. Definitely we need scenario mission in this game but it have to be too complicated, the easier part of gameplay and basis still have to be on board.
Spawning on SL is right, but spawning on crew chief is above right
No allowed traverse, the idea is to make players cooperate with each other and reach the goal at any cost. On example indicate the purpose and objectives in L4D2 or Portal 2 , but not like a part of HUD, that should increase ability to coordinate better and better knew your onjectives.
Or moreover implement giving orders like in Brothers in Arms series.

Upvote 0