• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Support's 'High Capacity Magazines' buff does not address core issue on why the skill isn't viable

helvis

• May 18, 2014
    Support mercs will also find that their High Capacity Magazines (level 5) have been increased. These should help make those perk choices more viable to those interested in bringing more rounds to the fight.
    • Support
      • High Capacity Magazines (level 5 skill)
        • Extra magazine size increased from 50% to 75%.

Buffing High Capacity Magazines that way won't address the core issue on why the skill isn't viable. The core issue is that the skill is completely useless on weapons like Boomstick, Doomstick and HRG Buckshot. The skill should buff those weapons too (e.g., give them a reload speed bonus instead, or some other bonus).

Currently, Tactical Reload (which affects all Support guns) is still a better choice despite that buff to High Capacity Magazines.

Buffing High Capacity Magazines that way won't address the core issue on why the skill isn't viable. The core issue is that the skill is completely useless on weapons like Boomstick, Doomstick and HRG Buckshot. The skill should buff those weapons too (e.g., give them a reload speed bonus instead, or some other bonus).
    I totally agree, these weapons should have faster reloads in both cases.
    Currently, Tactical Reload (which affects all Support guns) is still a better choice despite that buff to High Capacity Magazines.
    I really like the new Magazines, remember that if you use a larger magazine and can handle the slow reload you WILL get more ammo from pickups during waves and boss fights. So instead of 8 rounds for the M4 you would get 14!
    If you don't like then how about the 35 shots in the AA12! it's really awesome! you would never run out of ammo!

Reactions: helvis
    Upvote 0

Yes, this is exactly correct - and the correct solution too.

The problem is with Tripwire really not caring (or worse, not knowing). Considering outsourcing basicly everything KF2 to Sabre now, more likely than fixing the actual core issue, they are just (if having input at all?) doing lazy numerical tweaks - because if they are putting energy into the KF-franchise, it's more likely they are putting efforts into a KF3 instead - where they sadly probably will ignore this kind of core issues again, because at least the game will sell well, right? >_>

Tripwire has really fallen from grace with their KF-franchise, rapidly. If they do have a KF3 on the horizon, and they actually fix these kind of core imbalance issues alongside it... well, then I'd be genuinely surprised...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Yes, this is exactly correct - and the correct solution too.

The problem is with Tripwire really not caring (or worse, not knowing). Considering outsourcing basicly everything KF2 to Sabre now, more likely than fixing the actual core issue, they are just (if having input at all?) doing lazy numerical tweaks - because if they are putting energy into the KF-franchise, it's more likely putting they are putting efforts into a KF3 instead - where they sadly probably will ignore this kind of core issues again, because at the game will sell well, right? >_>

Tripwire has really fallen from grace with their KF-franchise, rapidly. If they do have a KF3 on the horizon, and they actually fix these kind of core imbalance issues alongside it... well, then I'd be genuinely surprised...
    Next thing you know, they're gonna scold you for trying to tell you how to do their job. Or better yet : use the age-old argument of "if you're not happy, make your own game" :D

I got such luxury yesterday regarding a Youtuber I used to admire... Priceless.

Jokes aside, however, Tripwire actually do the opposite and it's hardly better. It feels as if we're not being listened or considered. As if our criticism and advice are ignored. And even when they DO answer, it usually carefully avoid the core of the issue... Or answer to only part of the comment. I know that a general rule of thumb is that when you have nothing to tell/show, just don't... But it comes to a point where it is actually worrying.

I wonder if the player count is actually still going strong? I know that personally, I play like twice every three months to look at the new updates and that's it... Naturally, if people turned their back on the game, surely, they would try to do something? Just like how they implemented the Season Pass for the dlc weapons, actually a great move.

I mean... People were already warning to "vote with your wallet" more than ten years ago when DLCs were becoming the norm. Yet many didn't listen.

Players shouldn't forget that we're not merely fans : we're customers. We are paying for a product. And it's perfectly normal to complain about it when it doesn't work as intended or when we feel scammed.

Reactions: Aze
    Upvote 0

Well, that, plus the fact that the tube-fed shotguns basically require Tac Reload if you don't want them to be one-time use weapons on Support. While the slower reloads are less of an issue on lower difficulties, the Zeds in Hell on Earth won't politely wait for you to finish delicately reloading each shell one by one into your SG-500 before surrounding you.

The other problem is that HCM hits the problem of "diminishing returns," or to put it another way: I can't think of the last time I needed 35 rounds in the AA-12 for anything.

Upvote 0
    Well, that, plus the fact that the tube-fed shotguns basically require Tac Reload if you don't want them to be one-time use weapons on Support. While the slower reloads are less of an issue on lower difficulties, the Zeds in Hell on Earth won't politely wait for you to finish delicately reloading each shell one by one into your SG-500 before surrounding you.

The other problem is that HCM hits the problem of "diminishing returns," or to put it another way: I can't think of the last time I needed 35 rounds in the AA-12 for anything.
    That's true. But then again, except if you're fighting against a raging scrake/fleshpound... There are no real excuse to run dry with the SG-500 or M4. You should ALWAYS be reloading, and unleashing lead when truly needed. If I run fully dry twice in a playthrough, that's usually a maximum.

Totally agree on the poor practical use of having a 35 rounds AA-12 however.

Upvote 0