• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supersonic bullet cracks done *right*

It is interesting though that my grandfather didn't mention that crack as far as I've read his notes (14th September '39 ;) ), he writes of fizzing over him or close to him. Maybe the reason of that is that they were shot at mostly with MPs on a larger scale (so not so much fps) or that he did not combine the crack with the bullet as his education was very bad or that he'll mention them later on.

Upvote 0
5.56 at 1,100 yards.

http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature Articles/soundofbullets/media/TCW556MM1100YDST214640+4642.WAV

That is the bullet at super sonic speeds. It is not a ricochet.

.30-06 at 500 yards

http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature Articles/soundofbullets/media/30CALTRACERP410407.WAV

Source

http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature Articles/soundofbullets/soundofbullets2.htm

Here is a video I made awhile back. I was 40 yards from the camera (it's zoomed in) I was using my Remington 700 in .30-06. You are hearing the bullet right before you hear the shot. I aimed two feet to the right of the camera. I was not shooting at anything and the bullets were landing in dirt 20 feet behind the camera. Oh yeah, ignore the load sneeze. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJFK4SLHigA

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice video for an example - obviously sound quality isn't great but it still conveys the crack effect very well.

Xancerman - sorry, i wasn't actually saying you should be doing this, it was just a 'humorous' bump...

...perhaps with your sound expertise you could recommend some good, easily-obtainable recording equipment and the best way to set it up at a rifle range so that someone might take up the challenge?

Upvote 0
Bumpety bump bump. I actually had to use the search function (gasp!) to see if a thread like this existed. I should have known it would be Dslyecxi's if it was anyone's. :p

Armed Assault has these cracks in it as well and I feel they're a lot better done than in the BF2 mod, so anyone who's interested should grab either the demo or the full game (if you're in a priviledged country where it's available). They're quite effective for immersion and definitely get your head down. If I had any doubts before (frankly the BF2 video Dslyecxi originally posted sounds a little... iffy) I have none whatsoever now. I'd love to see them replacing the pewpew sounds in RO, assuming the whole "being able to record the sounds" issue could be overcome! :)

Upvote 0
Bumpety bump bump. I actually had to use the search function (gasp!) to see if a thread like this existed. I should have known it would be Dslyecxi's if it was anyone's. :p

Armed Assault has these cracks in it as well and I feel they're a lot better done than in the BF2 mod, so anyone who's interested should grab either the demo or the full game (if you're in a priviledged country where it's available). They're quite effective for immersion and definitely get your head down. If I had any doubts before (frankly the BF2 video Dslyecxi originally posted sounds a little... iffy) I have none whatsoever now. I'd love to see them replacing the pewpew sounds in RO, assuming the whole "being able to record the sounds" issue could be overcome! :)

I think ArmA bullet crack is good quality, but faar to low in volume compared to the other FX's... I'm working on a sound for RO atm...
Tried to use bullwhip sounds with Verb and multi delays, but they didnt do the trick... Have to find a better sound source...
Any suggestion?

Upvote 0
I think these are neccessary in RO.

Seriously, at present in my opinion Ostfront has the best weapon sounds of any game out there, so much so that I just find the puny gun sounds in other games laughable. Well done bullet snaps would only take it to the next level of awesomeness.

Xancerman, we throw ourselves at your mercy, doooo it :D

Upvote 0
just 2 t hings i can say:

1. If its realistic, we need it in game

2. if it needs much time to do, it should be not high on the "priority list"

the things that need MOST attention at the moment ... infantry combat and tank combar in particular cause the tanks are the most not really working part in game.

after that all ... letz give us "crack" (to smoke it ... )

Upvote 0
Cool stuff.. Hope to see this implemented ASAP :)
The sounds in RO is by far the best i've ever heard.

I'm curious.. Would you be able to hear witch side the bullet passes.

Yes I think so.. Atleast left right and center..
The stupid thing about testing sounds, is that you have to do it in singleplayer... I'd wish that it was possible to add custom sounds online... Atleast some mutation for it...

Upvote 0
Can't we just add these cracks to the "whizz" sounds we already have in the game? Just add it to those "whizz" sounds, no extra work or CPU cycles required.

It won't make a million "cracks" when you're being shot at by a 42, but will be enough ;)

Ive made some varriations to the cracks... some that sound sharper, while some with a Whoosh in front of it"....
So its like "woooOOOSh..CRACK! ....sssSSSSS CRACK!"

The hard part of that Woosh is that there is no way to add the "woosh" to the bullet's flight time... so it has to be included in the Crack...
meaning if the enemy is on 10 m, it may sound like the bullet comes from 50m.....

Example...
50---40---30---20---10---You---------->
Bang------------Woooosh-CRACK
--------------------Bang-woooosh-CRACK

But it didnt bother me that much.. still feels nice..
with just the crak its no problem at all..but it loss some Hoolywood feel to it.

Upvote 0
My attempt at modding a sonic boom into the whizzby's

I think you did a good job at proving the idea. It made the game seem more intense. I've been in HM Forces for 20 years & have worked down the ranges & it is a CRACK (7.62mm) But the idea you got right. The only thing i didn't get was the wizz after the crack on the range because the rounds didn't go very far after me before they hit the buts.
Definately an idea that needs implimenting. I hope you all rated the idea to get it pushed forward.
Cheers
Rob

Upvote 0
Incidentally, you guys have mentioned that the Armed Assault demo has good supersonic cracks implemented, but they sound pathetic to me. More like a silenced weapon being fired i.e. *click click click*

Maybe my sound settings are FUBAR'd. But it's not LOUD like it should be on the demo, for me.

One game (mod, really) that does supersonic cracks really well is the Project Reality mod for BF2. You KNOW when you are getting shot at. The bullet crack is freakin' loud and scary and awesome.

Upvote 0
I know what you mean brad, they do sound weak and they dont sound very 'crack-ey' either, but its nice that they implemented it. Maybe a patch could beef them up eventually

As I've posted bfore, ive been working on "crack" for RO...
The thing iss.. that the RO sounds are not possible to Mix down (as far as I've figured) without going into EVERY single Sample and turn the sound down.

All the current gunshots and movement sounds etc. are at MAX...

In real life however there is no limit to how many decibel u can get outta something.. but in digital sound there is a limit which is 0 db.

Thats why the meassure acoustic sound in + Db, and digital in - Db.

Sooo.... To get the crack sound SCARY somebody have to possess the patience to turn down ALL other sounds... to the crack can get louder...

Really wished one'd be able to turn down sound groups.. example turn down , movement sound etc, so Weapon sounds could get louder.

Upvote 0