• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suggestions for the future

OrLoK

Apr 29, 2006
I don't know if Trpwire is working in a new game of the RO Franchise (who knows :)?). But, if they are, I have some suggestions to improve future versions of RO. I have played Ostfront for more than a year and, although I love the game, i think that there are some weak points that should be fixed for future versions.

> Eliminate time limit per round: in the real war, the soldiers weren't watching their clocks every battle. They had to defeat the enemy, no matter what amount of time it would take. So, in RO, the rounds should not be limited in time: the end of the round should be marked by the end of reinforcements or the capture of all control points.

> External fatigue sounds: I know that, when my character is fatigued, he breaths loudly. But when a round starts and all people runs, you finish hearing them all breathing (because they all loss their stamina at the same point of the map) and it looks like a squad of asthmatics :D. It would be better if you could only hear your own breath sounds.

> Move faster/More stamina: these are two different problems, but they both do the game worse when you play in big maps. If you change one, you will probably fix both them :p.

> Explosive grenades for squad leaders: I don’t know if the current configuration of equipment is historical. But please, give squad leaders at least one explosive grenade. All the players will thank you.

> Death messages: the nemesis of the realism are the death messages. If you want to sell realism to players, don’t include them in the game. It will improve the game experience.

> Sticky satchels: sticky highly explosive fun.

And some ideas for newer versions:

> Campaign map cycles: It would be cool if some maps would be chained like a single campaign, so the result of one battle decides the next map to play. For example: the first map is a tank battle at the outskirts of a city, and the next, a map of urban combat (if the attacker wins). A campaign attacking (or defending) different parts of the same city trough various maps would be very exciting.

> Only local chat: the “all team chat" creates solo players. If the chat (spoken or written) works only in a certain area, the players will play together, as a real team, to get informed. Certain equipment, like radios, could improve the chat area or create a channel between groups (like armoured squads).

I hope this suggestions will be usefull for newer versions of RO. Anyway, thanks for Ostfront ;).

> Eliminate time limit per round: in the real war, the soldiers weren't watching their clocks every battle. They had to defeat the enemy, no matter what amount of time it would take. So, in RO, the rounds should not be limited in time: the end of the round should be marked by the end of reinforcements or the capture of all control points.

In real war, soldiers do not sit in front of some weird thing called computer and use two weird things like keyboard and mouse to aim, shoot and move around. Not to mention that they do not respawn, they do not have squeezed map areas where to fight at, they do not have magical stamina indicator etc... unless they just recently added them!

> Death messages: the nemesis of the realism are the death messages. If you want to sell realism to players, don’t include them in the game. It will improve the game experience.

Again, I really would loev that people would reconsider that yes, while RO is realistic game in general, it is not trying to be some 100%

Upvote 0
> External fatigue sounds: I know that, when my character is fatigued, he breaths loudly. But when a round starts and all people runs, you finish hearing them all breathing (because they all loss their stamina at the same point of the map) and it looks like a squad of asthmatics :D. It would be better if you could only hear your own breath sounds.

> Move faster/More stamina: these are two different problems, but they both do the game worse when you play in big maps. If you change one, you will probably fix both them :p.

These are the the only suggestions i disagree with.
The others i dont really care about or do agree with :p
However, the external fatigue sounds should definitely stay. You too talk about realism, but now you want to remove something that is realistic? (hearing other characters breathe heavily) and just for the sake of the first minute of the game? :p
I mean, this also comes with its advantages you know... Enemy riflemen cant close in fast over a long distance to bayonet you as you can hear their breathing etc.
As for the moving faster/more stamina idea... No.. Dont move faster, you arent some ubermensch. It will only make the game run and gun.
More stamina could be a probability, but soldiers allready keep up a full sprint longer then i can in reallife (allthough i'm built for long distance running instead of sprinting lol, but still)
If you want to move around quickly on a large battlefield, work together with your team and get some transport.

Upvote 0
I am still looking forward to see a game that can simulate how miserable wool tunics can be during summertime.

LOL... Don't forget about working in a routine to make the German soldiers randomly go "skating" when they're walking on hard surfaces in hobnailed boots.

Oh, and you no longer get to nibble on Doritos and Pepsi while you're playing the game. Break out the cheese in a tube and the stale black bread!

Upvote 0
For the stamina... It would be cool with a usable canteen that lowers your fatigue with like 1/3 or something like that. Of course the uses would be limited.

Yeah, Pervitin for the Germans. Metaphetamin sure would lower your fatigue...;)

Though you really get very thirsty when running aroung in wool tunic in summer, I believe. But still...

Honestly, in my opinion these kind of suggestions don

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LOL... Don't forget about working in a routine to make the German soldiers randomly go "skating" when they're walking on hard surfaces in hobnailed boots.

Actually it depends bit on the surface and the way you step, but indeed they can be quite slippery sometimes. I have personal experience to back that up :p

But while I do not mean anything offensive for the original poster (even though I sound like it, I know), most of those ideas sounds ok, but in practice most of them would simply not work that well. That campaign idea on the other hand would sound neat, but it would reguire quite many maps to create logical campaign the way you suggested it.

Upvote 0
Campaigns are a great way to give more meaning to individual maps and to fill an evening. Enemy Territory (the Wolfenstein one) has it and I like it.

Historical accuracy can be sacrificed if there aren't enough maps. StalingradKessel could be used as some other random city, Arad can be any area with soft rolling hills, etc. pp.

Ah yes, Enemy Territory campaign. It was fun with all those experience stuff and

Upvote 0
I want to see the defending team spawn 5 seconds before the attacking team initially. It seems that the first objective on some maps is just pointless since the defending team doesnt have a chance to get organized (The outpost and foxholes on berezina come to mind) Realistically, men would already be in those positions when the enemy attacks.

Upvote 0
There is the capability to use "temporary spawns", which I use in most of my maps to do just this. It gets the defenders near or in their defense positions before the attackers arrive. Configuring them is tough for some reason because the trigger likes to be very difficult. You see many guys note that when they try to use them. There are two choices when using the temporary spawn: In Berezina I have 30 some spawns spread out all along the 'Outpost' and 'Crossroad' areas, so you could spawn at any one of a number of positions, including the outpost area or in the houses. On TractorWorks the Russians start well to the front at the first street, they have the option to go into the street and harass the Germans or go to the building behind them. In Klin, Elnya, and Roadblock, I have similar advanced positions for the Russian teams. There are some mappers using them, it is just tricky to get them to work sometimes. You can set the timer to be any duration; 10 seconds or 10 minutes or whatever you want depending on what you need to accomplish.

Hope that helps make it more clear.

Upvote 0
There is the capability to use "temporary spawns", which I use in most of my maps to do just this. It gets the defenders near or in their defense positions before the attackers arrive. Configuring them is tough for some reason because the trigger likes to be very difficult. You see many guys note that when they try to use them. There are two choices when using the temporary spawn: In Berezina I have 30 some spawns spread out all along the 'Outpost' and 'Crossroad' areas, so you could spawn at any one of a number of positions, including the outpost area or in the houses. On TractorWorks the Russians start well to the front at the first street, they have the option to go into the street and harass the Germans or go to the building behind them. In Klin, Elnya, and Roadblock, I have similar advanced positions for the Russian teams. There are some mappers using them, it is just tricky to get them to work sometimes. You can set the timer to be any duration; 10 seconds or 10 minutes or whatever you want depending on what you need to accomplish.

Along those same lines, Slyk, is it also possible to include a temporary "no entry" zone (like the ubiquitous minefield) to keep those early spawning defenders from taking advantage of an early spawn and advancing past their defensive position? And after a short time, could this 'no entry' zone be lifted?

Just curious.

Floyd

Upvote 0
"> Death messages: the nemesis of the realism are the death messages. If you want to sell realism to players, don’t include them in the game. It will improve the game experience."

I think death messages should not be removed because then playing would be much harder, besides you can remove the death message option from configuration...

The point is that instead of them being on by default, they should be off and servers should have to turn them on. Making the default no messages has a huge impact on play (for the better I should note) because you are denyed knowledge of enemy strength and postions.

I've been playing alot of Insurgency lately and you can immediately notice the behaviour changes when you swap to a server with them on. Personally I avoid DM-on servers as much as possible, and it is one of a few things that prevent me from coming back to RO.

Upvote 0

First of all, I would like to say the Berezina is my favorite map for RO, I didnt mean to insult the creators or anything like that. I was just saying that even with starting closer to, or even on the first objective(s) doesnt give the enemy enough time to get their act together (especially if the forward spawns are spread out and tricky to get to work right). That extra 5 seconds lead on spawn time would give them a chance to find a good spot, hunker down, and kill the enemy. This applies to other maps as well (The apartments usually fall on odessa with little resistance since the square is just so much easier to get into position).

Upvote 0