• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suggestion for PTRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'd also be annoyed if my tracks were out, and I couldn't move my tank.

I'd also be annoyed if my telescopic sight were knocked out, and I couldn't aim my cannon.

I'd also be annoyed if my viewport or periscope was cracked, and I had to risk going into combat unbuttoned to see where I'm driving.

I'd also be annoyed if I were the MGer, and my MG was shot to hell.

I'd also be annoyed if my turret ring was locked up, and I couldn't traverse the cannon.

My tank won't be blown up, and I'd still be alive, but I don't know how effective I'd be.

That's the point.

You may argue that PTRDs weren't used against heavy tanks at all. But if they could damage these bits IRL, I argue they should (ultimately) be able to in game too.

If you argue that since they weren't primarily used for this purpose, they should have no effect.

Then I'll argue that getting hit in the face by a Panzerfaust round shouldn't kill you because they weren't primarily used for this purpose.

Neither should a pistol (short range weapon) kill at long range, even with a lucky hit or an MG (long range weapon) fired at a target 3 feet away.

Upvote 0
PTRD controversy rages on I see. First thing is: Don't tell me the PTRD can penetrate the Tiger still (after this latest patch) because that's just absurd and way way beyond merely unrealistic. I don't have a problem with the PTRD penetrating a little more than it really would for gameplay purposes like on a "good" day with the wind to your back + you see a Stalin rainbow you can penetrate 43mm. But at a certain point of armor thickness it gets way too ridiculous. As has been mentioned many times Russian AT grenade would be nice. I read somewhere that the Russians actually used the PTRD up until the end of the war despite it's increasing uselessness frontally against tanks. So that leads me to believe that they were highly highly likely to be used exclusively for flank/rear ambush shots.

Upvote 0
What the hell are you talking about? :confused:

Hmmm, short memories. Let me put it into context:

Crim said:
Getting shot by an 88mm cannon renders a tank 'unusable'. Getting shot by a 14.5mm rifle renders a tank 'annoyed'.

Now that the reduce the PTRD without fixing the tanks argument has been torpedoed, let's talk about anti-tank grenades.

Upvote 0
People can't even stick to the subject. This is about the PTRD not the Tiger's 88...

Anyway, from what I read in several different sources the Russians used the PTRD untill the end of the war. Even against heavy tanks.

Question is "did they use them just to annoy?"
No.
They forced tankcrews out of their tanks because they couldn't drive anymore or they couldn't see anymore.
It's not too hard to imagine how this works in RO.
Tank = damaged beyond use ---> "BOOM" just like a non-lethal shot in infantry vs infantry ---> "DEATH"

So a frontal shot on a Tiger simulates taking out the optics (panzerglass and/or gunoptics).
This results in an explosion (in RO) because the tank is useless.

Hard to grasp concept, for many...

Upvote 0
People can't even stick to the subject. This is about the PTRD not the Tiger's 88...

Anyway, from what I read in several different sources the Russians used the PTRD untill the end of the war. Even against heavy tanks.

No.
They forced tankcrews out of their tanks because they couldn't drive anymore or they couldn't see anymore.
Tank = damaged beyond use ---> "BOOM" just like a non-lethal shot in infantry vs infantry ---> "DEATH"

So a frontal shot on a Tiger simulates taking out the optics (panzerglass and/or gunoptics).

That is the stupidest idea ever. Do you have any idea how difficult it would be to hit something as small as the optics. Because a tank gets its optics shot it should explode, yeah right. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
That is the stupidest idea ever. Do you have any idea how difficult it would be to hit something as small as the optics. Because a tank gets its optics shot it should explode, yeah right. :rolleyes:

You don't understand what I mean... or you didn't read properly.
It's not an idea, it's how I see how it would work in RO.

And they did use PRTD's to shoot out optics, panzerglass and tracks. And it's not that hard at 20-50 meters for an experienced gunner.

Upvote 0
Firing the PTRD AT RIFLE is suicide:-

1) Because of the muzzle flash.
2) These guys are second on the "Which should I kill first?" list, before other tanks.
3) The PTRD AT Rifle doesn't do that much damage on late war tanks, heck it doesn't even do anything at all if not used properly.
4) Long reload times!
5) Usually exposed on a field or enclosed area, HE rounds anyone?

The upside is the incredibly long range and ability to hide somewhere without getting detected, unless you fire your AT Rifle.

Upvote 0

No.

Wow, I never thought of that, but your post is very insightful.

I see it now. If a PTRD shot the tank's Optics, or other weak points to the point where tanks would be useless, BUT nobody will get out of the tank, because they know they will die on foot, so they will stay inside the tank forever, and that gets very boring, and we would run out of tanks in spawn, instead TWI made tanks explode, so that it would prevent it.

So in RO Disabled tank=Dead one.

Upvote 0
Actually no, a disabled tank in RO will sit there until the crew abandon it. By this retarded logic, when I shoot the tracks off an angled IS-2 it should automatically explode.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Time to stop qualifying other people and their posts.

You just don't understand what I mean. That doesn't make it stupid or retarded. Maybe you are.

Upvote 0
Firing the PTRD AT RIFLE is suicide:-

1) Because of the muzzle flash.
2) These guys are second on the "Which should I kill first?" list, before other tanks.
3) The PTRD AT Rifle doesn't do that much damage on late war tanks, heck it doesn't even do anything at all if not used properly.
4) Long reload times!
5) Usually exposed on a field or enclosed area, HE rounds anyone?

The upside is the incredibly long range and ability to hide somewhere without getting detected, unless you fire your AT Rifle.

All true.

Although a PTRD blowing up a tank is unrealistic, the PTRD is a nightmare to use. If you get killed by a PTRD, you deserve to die in the most horrible way possible in RO, because who allows to be killed by PTRD? When a guy with PTRD shoots me, I can VERY EASILY spot him and shoot him, or get out of the tank and shoot him, or I can just drive away, or angle the tank a little, so that the PTRD would be useless.

Oh and Sichartshofen, stop being so mean to people. Everybody has there own thoughts and opinions, don't insult there posts for something you don't agree on. This is the IDEA AND SUGGESTIONS part of the forums, people can think of anything they please, whether its smart or stupid. You are being very counter productive.

Upvote 0
Oh and Sichartshofen, stop being so mean to people. Everybody has there own thoughts and opinions, don't insult there posts for something you don't agree on. This is the IDEA AND SUGGESTIONS part of the forums, people can think of anything they please, whether its smart or stupid. You are being very counter productive, and that is very insulting to members of the forum.
I'm pointing out how illogical and unrealistic their suggestions are.

Upvote 0
Actually no, a disabled tank in RO will sit there until the crew abandon it.
Ok Sichartshofen, please try to explain why the Russians did use the PTRD untill the end of the war and against heavy tanks to boot.

Maybe this disable tank thing would work. But AT soldiers need to be more heavily armed, PTRD's shoot tanks at a very long range, and a Pistol is very inaccurate, and won't be enough to kill the crew. AT Soldiers should have Rifles. Why Do German AT's have rifles and Russians don't? A Faust weighs about 20 pounds, and he carries 3 of them, so that 60, plus a Rifle, which weighs 5/10(?), so its like 70 pounds, PLUS the things he carries in his backpack. The Russian only carries a PTRD, which weighs 30 pounds, plus a pistol, which is maybe 2(?), so he is much lighter.
It would work like this:

1.AT Soldier shoots a tank and disables it.
2. Tank Crew is forced to get out of tank.
3.AT Soldier shoots them with a Rifle.

OR, you can do my idea, and allow PTRD to penetrate SOME tanks, and maim/kill the driver. Even better, add both features!

You guys give me alot of ideas! :D

So sum it up, give PTRD soldiers a rifle, nerf ptrd so that it can only disable tanks, and penetrate weaker ones to kill the driver. When a tank is disabled, the crew pops out and the AT Soldier shoots them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.